WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:50 AM
A Local Legend
Deepest Wettest Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
BANNED IP ADDRESSES - I can't even get on these pages to discuss NOW SOLVED!

How many artists are we losing? How many new members are we turning away.

As an ex-Moderator for this site I am sick and fed up of how the F+W admins here have been sticking their heads in a bucket of sand for over 12 months. The Ostrich Syndrome.

I reported this problem over 15 months ago and have battled with my ISP (Internet Service Provider) and the powers that be he at WC but nothing has been done. This week I changed my ISP when I came out of my contract only to find that the new provider has recently gone down the same road as my last one and I am still BANNED fom WetCanvas when using the IP addy my ISP allocates to me.

The problem is getting bigger but WC will not know the effect of this as they have no way of knowing when a member is banned in this way, at he message that the member or new artist is asked to fill in is part of the broken links and these messages go no where.

I am in hospital at the moment and enjoying surfing WetCanvas but when I go home again I will be BANNED.

I have just typed a long reply to a query from something I mentioned yesterday in the Watercolour Forum so it will be easier for me to just post that response here than retype ......... so I apologise, but I am flat out on a hospital bed .............

Quote:
On the other matter I brought up yesterday the Low IP problem on WC here is some of the stuff i have found out over the past 12-18 months of problems. This is some of what I found out when battling with my ISP and WC ........ the problem has lain dormant for years, when the site was first set up it was a time when sites from certain countries in say Russia and Africa were sending out large amounts of spam.

The organisers of the internet took the decision to lock these sites in by issuing low ip addies like the 2.xx that we are getting. Now that other methods of spam control are available the low ip addresses no longer cause harm in themselves. The trouble is that when the low ip addresses were purchased by companies they were snapped up due to the dearth of usual access to new ip's. Some companies like my old one bought a large block and went wide with them right away and without warning.

Loads of sites banking, betting, gaming, social, and even the BBC banned access to all with these low ip's. My isp eventually withdrew the low 2addresses while a very quick solution was found. All servers have bogon filters which are small progams that block. World wide fixes have been circulated to this problem and some of the companies mentioned above took hours to update, some even updated their systems prior to the new ip's going live which had been well circulated in the Techno world. Here at WC it seems they found a large bucket of sand and buried their heads.

I have been assured by many others on techy forums that the fix is simple. one of the servers used by WC needs the offending bogon filter updated and all will be ok.

This has been going on for over a year. I have now changed my isp purely to get out of this problem, but have signed a 12 month contract, i asked about low ip addies and at the time they did not use them As i went live they have since bought some and it seems my area has been issued them. I can get on every site I want to apart from WC. So when I get home I can trawl the WWW except for WetCanvas.

Due to shortages of ip numbers low IP addies are being purchased world wide your ISP company may purchase some and if you are locked into a contract you could find yourself banned from WetCanvas for 12 months or over. IP addies with 1.xx , 2.xx , 3.xx and even 0.xx even 9.xx and some low double number like 10.xx have been found to cause the same problems to companies who don't update the simple software upgrades issued by the web companies. ~It takes these companies a matter of minutes to update their filters and all is well with their members or customers. It is a very simple low cost fix. Just needs someone to fix it. I am sure it will not be long before our members across the pond in the US of A will be affected by this problem as your ISP companies take advantage of new and rare IP addresses become available to them .......... there is a potential disaster awaiting to happen, and I told you about it 15 months ago and not one thing has been done at the WC end to fix it.

Sorry for the long post but some asked for more info on my hip yesterday and on why the problem is happening with the low ip's. My worry is new artists will just be missed not knowing anything about this when the page flashes up to say "YOU ARE BANNED FROM THIS SITE" or words to this effect, which upset Arnold Lowery so much he no longer posts as it is too difficult. I have tried to get things sorted here but not one thing has been accomplished in over 12 months, no one has even changed the splash message you get when using a low ip addy, it still says YOU ARE BANNED instead of trying to explain, and it still has a text box to fill in that i have found goes to no where even though it says your message has been sent to an admin.

Sorry but I wont be around in a day or two as WC will ban me for no reason what so ever.

Please take action now and ask your Moderators what they are doing about getting this problem fixed. You may find out one day that you will be locked out through no fault of your own and will not be able to fix the problemon your own home PC.

Insanity is hereditary ............ you can get it from your children ....or Grandchildren

Last edited by Yorky : 05-26-2011 at 06:42 AM. Reason: clarified the admins statement
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 AM
A Local Legend

Re: BANNED IP ADDRESSES - I can't even get on these pages to discuss

OH BTW I will not be able to reply to most of this thread as my IP addy will be banned .............. oh so silly ..............

Insanity is hereditary ............ you can get it from your children ....or Grandchildren
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Kev, you know it is not in the power of Marty and I or any of the volunteer Moderators to do any more than keep reporting the problem to the F+W admins. You are right. So far we have reported TalkTalk, SKY and Orange UK ISP are affected by this problem.

It is amazing that you as a member since 2003 and former moderator are banned simply because you changed your broadband provider.

I can't imagine what would happen if my dynamic IP address came up as 2.xxx I wouldn't even be able to come on here to report it.

Doug
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 AM
A Local Legend

Yes Doug no complaints here at all to the staff, I know what it was like when moderating. But this is such a simple problem to fix every other site that has come across it and there were thousands maybe millions fixed the problems with a simple upgrade to bogan filters.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 AM
A Local Legend
London UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roun2it
As an ex-Moderator for this site I am sick and fed up of how the admins here have been sticking their heads in a bucket of sand for over 12 months. The Ostrich Syndrome.

I resigned here as a Moderator last weekend, over this issue, namely the lack of communication and progress on sorting out the many technical problems of this site.

Quote:
Please take action now and ask your Moderators what they are doing about getting this problem fixed. You may find out one day that you will be locked out through no fault of your own and will not be able to fix the problemon your own home PC.

Please don't ask/complain to your Moderators. They cannot do anything about it

Moderators are well-aware of the problem, and many of us have been campaigning as strongly as we could in the staff forums to get something done.

Last weekend, I for one, decided I'd wasted enough of my time being ignored, and walked out.

I suggest you contact sallspaw and dsargent directly, as these are the only staff on the site who are allowed to talk to the techs (how stupid is that?)

I suggest you complain long, loud, and hard about the situation, (but do not be surprised to get complacent platitudes in reply).

Perhaps with enough complaints, the message will finally get through.

Dave
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 AM
A Local Legend

Dave Mods are our only link to the inner sanctum. This is a problem that needs to be known about by every member before the brick wall goes up on them. It is nothing to do with any of the members computers and the only fix is one to be done here.

What I can't understand is why the wording on the splash page that comes up when you are banned can't be changed, and a working link be put on. At least we could keep a track of which members we are blocking out instead of fumbling about in the dark wondering why x y or z is not posting. Many good contributing artists are being banned from a site where they have done nothing wrong. A truly ridicules way to run a business.

It has been happening to me on a ad hoc basis for 15mths and not one thing has been changed on here bin that time. I still get the same splash screen telling me I'm banned with a link to report the matter which goes no where I have access to 300 + other companies that were affected early last year when I was with talktalk and every one of those companies upgraded their own bogan filters and the sites were open to all members, shoppers,traders, gamblers, gamers and the like within minutes.

The fix is so simple for someone with a little knowledge and talktalk and sky have offered to talk to the techies here. I have sent them traceroutes and all sorts of stuff but when I'm banned as I will be tomorrow when i leave hospital I will again be out of contact and I won't be leaving the house for six weeks due to operation so WetCanvas won't be much of a community website for me.

So sorry to hear that you resigned over this. These people here really need to talk about the problem with other sites and isp's to resolve the issue. All it needs is the metaphorical tightening up of one screw, the problem is they seem to be having is finding the screw that needs to be tightened. Please. please this problem is not going away, you do not know how many members or potential members it is affecting. 15mths ago I was one of the first it happened to but as they role out more of these low ip addys more of our members will be affected through no fault of their own.

btw pm's sent to the 2 named above to ask them to join us here. Sorry I won't be able to contribute after tomorrow.

Last edited by Roun2it : 05-26-2011 at 08:25 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:12 AM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Shame SHAME on F&W for not taking this matter SERIOUSLY and fixing it. You do not realize the CALIBER of artists who have been banned from a site that they've been on for many years and how upset this has made them!

Do you NOT realize that they spread the word and tell others about WetCanvas's refusal to FIX this problem?? Of course the word doesn't stop there....it goes round and round all over the world. Soon this site will have it's remaining established members leaving because you refuse to admit you do not know HOW to fix the problem??

PLEASE, Please, please walk....NO RUN....to someone who knows how to fix this simple problem so that we can once again gather in and welcome EVERY artist out there who would like to join our site. This site is FOR US! And we love it here.....don't turn away talented people who can add so much to the learning process that goes on here.

I am confident that in the next month or so that those in charge will get the ball rolling and that very soon this will no longer be an issue.

Darla
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 09:23 AM
A Local Legend
London UK

Quote:
Dave Mods are our only link to the inner sanctum.

Unfortunately, they are not, because they are effectively being ignored. I can assure you, the most vigorous attempts have been made over several months to get F+W to address this, by Doug, myself, and others.

Quote:
So sorry to hear that you resigned over this.

Frankly, I was embarrassed to be associated with this site, as a member of staff.

Quote:
The fix is so simple for someone with a little knowledge and talktalk and sky have offered to talk to the techies here.

Agreed, but there is a lack of willpower and/or technical ability here to do this, currently. All attempts to get direct communication between volunteer Admins and Mods, and the techs, have failed - in fact they are deliberately thwarted - volunteers have been repeatedly told that all communication must be only through dsargent and sallspaw.

Quote:
btw pm's sent to the 2 named above to ask them to join us here.

From many months experience, all you'll get is platitudes and assertions that things are working (when in fact they are not). I'll probably get genuinely banned, for speaking up and telling the truth.

Dave
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
A WC! Legend
The beautiful" Kawartha Lakes" area of Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks Dave for posting the links to sawspall and dsargent. I will be sending them my message

It is appalling that the company, F+W, that owns WetCanvas has such a disregard for the artists that are members and former banned members. For a company that relies almost exclusively on artists to purchase their products they are not demonstrating very good business practice.

I for one will no longer be buying any products or services from F + W until they address and correct this issue and post a site wide apology.

Regards,

Gail
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
A Local Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliewood0702

I am confident that in the next month or so that those in charge will get the ball rolling and that very soon this will no longer be an issue.

Darla, with my experience with the problems on talktalk forum pages this problem can be gone in seconds not months.

Dave, the admins you mention have been in contact with me via e-mail over this problem, they cannot placate me any more than they have done. I bottomed this problem at talktalk and was even responsible for getting talktalk to remove the low ip addresses for 2 months but then others like sky and orange purchased a batch of them and so talktalk went back on line with them after their investigations.

The result of these investigations are the conclusions I have given here.

The fault is at WetCanvas Servers and all they need is the latest update on their bogon filters.

How do I know this for certain? As soon as the conclusions were announced at talktalk all other sites who experienced this problem fixed it from their end over 300 companies that I was aware of that other members of the form had reported, some were stock traders, banks, retailers, BBC and all manner of big or small sites, but all got fixed, I saw it with my own eyes in my own thread at talktalk forums.

It has nothing to do with ISP's or anything else that anyone may suggest, they have known here for about 12 months that the bogon filters on the servers need updating. Talktalk offered via me to converse with WC but I do not know if that offer was ever taken up.

~It is a simple fix some larger companies like the BBC, Share dealing and Betting Sites were fixed within the same day the problem occurred.

Last edited by Roun2it : 05-26-2011 at 11:09 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM

Hails from United States

Just to chime in and let you all know that we have worked on this issue more than once now and the techs cannot do anything on our end. We are not blocking anything. We have talked to our hosting server as well who guarantees the problem is not on our end. I can talk to the techs, again, but I assure you, it's been addressed several times.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 11:11 AM
A Local Legend

Sorry Sarah but it is no good addressing the problem, it needs fixing, the problem is with you, or at least WC. As I say I have seen the fixes work with over 300 other sites. Somewhere on the highway you are running a gate which is closed due to the bogon filter not being unlocked.

Try talking to Talktalk techies and they will help you out.

Also if it has been addressed why do I get a splash screen telling me I'm banned, with a link asking me to contact the admins when you know very well that the link goes no where? Please just tell me the answer to this question. Also how many artists do you think you are losing from taking this stance, have you anyway of monitoring how many hits you get from banned IP addresses?

You say you have addressed the problem but addressing a problem is not the same as fixing it. Yes it has been addressed for 15 months but not one thing has been done from the WetCanvas end to fix anything ...... even the abhorrent splash screen to say YOU ARE BANNED FROM THIS SITE it is truly awful to receive this. And it will happen on a more regular basis as more and more ISP purchase the low IP addresses.

Sorry I have to get this said quickly as when I get out of hospital tomorrow and get back to my own internet I will be banned. And will see the same screen that has been addressed, not fixed, for the last 15 months ...........

Last edited by Roun2it : 05-26-2011 at 11:28 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM
A Local Legend
London UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roun2it
Darla, with my experience with the problems on talktalk forum pages this problem can be gone in seconds not months.

Dave, the admins you mention have been in contact with me via e-mail over this problem, they cannot placate me any more than they have done. I bottomed this problem at talktalk and was even responsible for getting talktalk to remove the low ip addresses for 2 months but then others like sky and orange purchased a batch of them and so talktalk went back on line with them after their investigations.

The result of these investigations are the conclusions I have given here.

The fault is at WetCanvas Servers and all they need is the latest update on their bogon filters.

How do I know this for certain? As soon as the conclusions were announced at talktalk all other sites who experienced this problem fixed it from their end over 300 companies that I was aware of that other members of the form had reported, some were stock traders, banks, retailers, BBC and all manner of big or small sites, but all got fixed, I saw it with my own eyes in my own thread at talktalk forums.

It has nothing to do with ISP's or anything else that anyone may suggest, they have known here for about 12 months that the bogon filters on the servers need updating. Talktalk offered via me to converse with WC but I do not know if that offer was ever taken up.

~It is a simple fix some larger companies like the BBC, Share dealing and Betting Sites were fixed within the same day the problem occurred.

I have absolutely NO DOUBT whatsoever that you are correct, Kev, and the continued excuses and complacency we keep getting here are indefensible.

If the current WC techs cannot solve this problem, then they should be fired, forthwith, and new staff employed who can.

Dave
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
A Local Legend

Dave, I totally understand your frustrations felt here, when I was a Mod I hit the brickwall of F+W and resigned too very early on, but what I know of WC is that we don't get irate here we keep calm, otherwise it will only give the admins grounds to close this thread.

I don't want this thread closing or moving this needs to be discussed in the open, there is nothing to hide, we are just information and knowledge sharing, these issues just need addressing ............ Please lets be careful here not to get this thread closed.

I am trying to get answers to questions that need answering. We need to conclude this problem not address it.

So what conclusions have WC made when these issues were addressed and what actions have been taken.

From my position I see that nothing has been done to upgrade the filters or change the splash screen or make the link work to the admins??????

Last edited by Roun2it : 05-26-2011 at 11:39 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Immortalized
Florida/New Hampshire

Hails from United States

I have only been on WC for a year but have found it incredible that members are being excluded.

Although only partially tech savvy the described situation seems unbelievable to me if the solution is as simple as stated.

I should also state that I have used services that are of commercial value to WC and to exclude members is ridiculous from a monetary point of view