WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Emma and Bubba - WIP

Nancy,

Thanks so very much. I'm glad you like the WIP.

Lynn,

Thank you. It definitely makes it much more difficult.

Barb,

Thank you. You crack me up ! I'm not sure the clients would appreciate the disconnected nose effect, I think the artistic license would be sort of lost to them......

Sonja,

Thanks so much. I like maaahvelous!

Karen,

Thanks very much. Tomorrow back to the easel, hopefully the nose will appear.

Donna,

Thanks so much for your nice comment.

jemgold,

Thank you. That was why I originally thought the photo would be good...... until I realized that there was no resolution to get enough information. Oh well, I just have to be a magician!
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

This already melts my heart - superb work Chris - so soft and appealing. Your color choices are marvelous.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks so very much Celeste. They are cuties.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 06:01 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Another update. Man, this is taking sooooooooooo long to complete. Bubba's muzzle isn't nearly done, I'm sort of jumping around a bit. It keeps me from getting bored! The top of Bubba's nose (white fur part) isn't done yet, needs more values and definition. As you can see, I've also started the background a bit. I've also added some more colors to the mix (as if it needed any more really ). I'm not entirely happy with Bubba's nose, though I think it's almost there. I keep noodling with it. Most of the white fur needs to be brought up a bit, but I'm waiting till the end for that.

I emailed the client an update, keep your fingers crossed . I'm waiting to hear what he thinks.

Thanks for taking a look, C&C always appreciated.

P.S. I just got an email from the client and his response was: "OMG, give us our dogs back - this looks just like them!" Too funny, I guess he's happy so far - yeah!

The colors I'm using - I've added 13 more -yikes! The ones on the bottom right are what I'm currently using in the background - subject to change at any time......:

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

Chris, they are looking great so far. You are sure using quite a few sticks no wonder thay are looking so good.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast
New Philadelphia, OH

Hails from United States

Really nice start Chris! The beagle on our left appears to be quite a bit older than the other - all that white on his little face and wise, old eyes.

“A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art." Paul Cezanne
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

chris, they are terrific. I didnt expect them to be sooooo good. Great colors in the "whites", great expressive eyes. Design interesting and I also love how you are doing the background colors. Landscapes, still lifes, portraits and animals - you can do them all!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Chris... if you get the chance... be bold and try another one without all the details. I just did it for a client and they loved it!

barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Gig Harbor, WA

Hails from United States

Of course the client is happy - this is awesome!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

Really terrific painting, Chris! I especially like all the colors in the white fur!
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Turku, Finland

Hails from Finland

Such sweetnoses. The guys look so much better in your painting than the ref picture. I can see how you struggle with the resolution.
Amazing job.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Pete,

Yeah, it sure feels like I'm using all of my pastel pencils. Thanks very much.

Jean,

Thank you. Emma is the one on the left, and from what I understand, she's quite the 'smartie'.

Terry,

Aw shucks, thanks sir! I appreciate your stopping by, these two are taking sooooooooooo......... long to complete, it feels like forever. I'm hoping to be done with them soon........

Barb,

Thank you. You know, there's something to be said for simplification, you just might be on the right track , as this is getting crazy!

Kari,

Aw, thanks so much! It's always nice to hear it from the client, as I sit quietly in my studio, hoping I'm on the right track.........

Orchid Lady,

Thanks so very much!

Viuhi,

Thanks very much. That photo is just about killing me, absolutely no information to speak of. In a sense, it's forcing me to suggest things rather than be too literal, though my brain is starting to hurt.....
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:48 PM
A Local Legend
Argentina

Hails from Argentina

Beautiful, Chris. The colors are magnificent . I am in awe of the harmony and yet your bold use of the hues and chromas.

Could you please tell me if there is a brand of pastels that you are more attached to ?

Saludos

Luicre
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:55 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Luicre,

Thanks so very much! Sure, I'd be happy to list what I'm using:

The dogs are being painted with pastel pencils, and the brands I'm using are Derwent (the older ones, they've since come out with a newer set, I'm not sure how similar they are), Carb Othello, and Conte. I've also pulled one Gionconda pencil that I'm using as well. For the background, I'm so far using a couple of Mount Vision Pastels and Great American pastels.

I posted a copy of a card with the colors marked (no numbers, just swatches of color), so you could take a look at that also if it helps. I'm up around 62 pencils being used so far, quite a bit actually .
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Luicre,

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question. My response gave you the brands of pastel pencils I'm working with right now.

Your question, the brand of pastels I'm most attached to? Well, that's a loaded question, there are so many, and they are all nice for different reasons. I currently have 10 different brands that I work with. I don't really have a favorite, they all work differently. If you are a beginner, I would suggest starting out with medium soft pastels, as they are easier to handle, and they don't fill up the tooth of the paper too quickly. Mount Visions, Giraults, Art Spectrum and Rembrants are really nice medium soft pastels to start out with. Any of those brands have a really nice feel to them, though some people don't like Rembrants. I think Rembrants are fine, especially the half stick sets, you get a lot of colors in one set that way. If you want just a bit softer, Unisons are beautiful. The real softies, Ludwigs, Great American, Schminke, and Sennelier, are all nice, just a bit more difficult to use in the beginning. I would suggest having a small set of softies though, for those nice touches at the end.

I'm not sure what pastels you can purchase in Argentina, so if you're able to get any of the above brands you'll do just fine. It's so hard to have a favorite, the quality of what they make these days is so nice I like them all for different reasons. I hope this helps.