WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States
Just a Thought

This is my first time here. An acrylic and Pastels guy (prof. teacher background). I was an illustration major in my 1st two years of college and went on to fine arts and a teaching degree. Did a wee bit of spot illustration for local newspapers and Boy's Life Magazine. I also taught Art History for a few years at The College of New Jersey.
Anyway: I am one of those artists who believe that illustration IS Fine Art. Some of the most astounding and skillful works these days and in the past, come from illustrators. Some of the so-called Fine Art is questionable sometimes. I am enjoying peeking at your work. Good stuff guys....good stuff.
Hope you will take a look at my latest acrylic which could go either way: Illustration or fine art. C&C welcome.
Cheers, Derek

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Connecticut

Hails from United States
Re: Just a Thought

I know what you mean about the illlustration/fine art tags. Your piece is really good and I can see it in both contexts. I think it comes down to snobbery. The fine arts crowd look down at illustration as cheapened art because it is made for money. Even though they are doing the same thing (in a nut shell).

I think it is a lot of silliness. There is more than enough room for artists of all stripes. It is hard enough to make it as an artist, why bicker among ourselves?

web site - Facebook - Blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Well Said Randy. I concur. When I was a kid I used to drool over Frank Frazetta's work and N.C. Wyeth. Man did they have a way with oils. Some are even 'stuffy" enough to say that Norman Rockwell's work was mere illustration. Go figure.
Cheers, Derek
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2010, 04:09 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Things are kind of slow??
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM
Ft. Worth

Hails from United States

That is great painting.
I don't understand all the hassle on is it or is it not art. I think it is all Art myself. I'd like to see more of your art.
Ronnie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Ronnie. I'll try to post more.
Derek
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 PM

I recently found an organization that gives grants to artists but only for those not engaged in "commercial" work, like illustrations. I can see why too, because a plein air oil painting is a far cry from a logo design on a can of soup or a caricature for Mad magazine. But it really comes down to how you are trying to define "fine art". The piece in this thread is an acrylic painting, and a very well rendered one at that, so to me it fits the bill for fine art any way you slice it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2010, 03:03 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Good Thoughts p-by-n.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Lord of the Arts

Beautiful piece of work, Derek.
The world is full of experts who wish to put everything into their own defined little boxes.
Art is simply art. It's there to enjoy.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Graham: Thanks for stopping in.
visited your website; WOW! fantastic stuff. really enjoyed.
derek
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 AM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

I enjoyed your painting, no need to comment on the subtext of the debate, since we all seem to be in agreement anyway.

The work you went to in creating poses/attitudes in the background figures is superb, makes the scene come alive.

Thanx 4 posting, this pleaseth our eye.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
East of Eden

Well, since it was brought up... There is a difference between illustration and fine art, but it's one of techniques and intent, not quality. Illustrators have had to contend with the difficulties of painting for reproduction, and you can see the difference in the colors and edgework they utilize because of it. I think of Rockwell and Sargent as being about on a par with each other - but one was painting for reproduction, the other was not. Take a look at the different way they treat colors and edges - and elements like hands and backgrounds.

The fine artist, on the other hand, has to worry about the longevity and long-term value of the original - the illustrator doesn't. So they are not the same thing from the standpoint of techniques - but neither one is inferior to the other, that's purely a subjective judgment call. I think the word "fine" in the term fine art is part of the problem - implying that the other is less than fine...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:26 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Greg: Thanks very much.
llawrence: Good thoughts and I'm glad you liked my artwork.
Derek
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by llawrence
Well, since it was brought up... There is a difference between illustration and fine art, but it's one of techniques and intent, not quality. Illustrators have had to contend with the difficulties of painting for reproduction, and you can see the difference in the colors and edgework they utilize because of it. I think of Rockwell and Sargent as being about on a par with each other - but one was painting for reproduction, the other was not. Take a look at the different way they treat colors and edges - and elements like hands and backgrounds.

The fine artist, on the other hand, has to worry about the longevity and long-term value of the original - the illustrator doesn't. So they are not the same thing from the standpoint of techniques - but neither one is inferior to the other, that's purely a subjective judgment call. I think the word "fine" in the term fine art is part of the problem - implying that the other is less than fine...

Well stated!!!

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast
Corbin, Ky

Hails from United States

art is art...I love it any way you say it