WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Bury, Lancs

Hails from United Kingdom
Sunsets & woods

Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking for some time but haven't been brave enough to post any work for a while... However, I've been told recently that I should try to sell my work instead of letting friends take them home after I've had one glass of wine too many
I'd like some honest opinions, instead of what I tend to think of as the biased opinion of friends and family.
20 x 20 box canvas
20 x 20 canvas
36 x 20 canvas

Hope you like

Amanda
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast
TN

Hails from United States
Re: Sunsets & woods

Have you suggested a price to your friends before giving them away? If they are willing to pay, then sell. I've been in a juried gallery with an above average regular rate of sales and have sold many on my own. You can't judge your quality or ability to sell based on what other artists comment! If I did that, I'd sometimes think I was hopeless. Get in a show and see what the public's reaction is. Apparently folks already like your work if they are suggesting that you sell them. The bottom line is as Abe Lincoln said, "You can't please all of the people all of the time, and only some people some of the time." Not sure that's a 100% accurate quote, but it's in the ballpark, so to speak and it certainly applies to artist's critiques, mine included. A lot of critiques fall into the realm of opinion, and you have friends with the opinion that your work will sell. I'm a firm believer in the slogan, "take what you want and leave the rest." Apply that to both opinions and critiques. Some are very helpful and others kill the spirit, so you have to be able to sort it all out for yourself in the end! A fair may be a good place to start showing. Also arts and craft fairs. Get out there and "get your feet wet!"
c/c always welcome. "A painting is a series of corrected mistakes. So don't be shy about making mistakes. To improve a painting, you must be willing to make mistakes, even big ones." Robert Bisset (id-art)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeagle
Have you suggested a price to your friends before giving them away? If they are willing to pay, then sell. I've been in a juried gallery with an above average regular rate of sales and have sold many on my own. You can't judge your quality or ability to sell based on what other artists comment! If I did that, I'd sometimes think I was hopeless. Get in a show and see what the public's reaction is. Apparently folks already like your work if they are suggesting that you sell them. The bottom line is as Abe Lincoln said, "You can't please all of the people all of the time, and only some people some of the time." Not sure that's a 100% accurate quote, but it's in the ballpark, so to speak and it certainly applies to artist's critiques, mine included. A lot of critiques fall into the realm of opinion, and you have friends with the opinion that your work will sell. I'm a firm believer in the slogan, "take what you want and leave the rest." Apply that to both opinions and critiques. Some are very helpful and others kill the spirit, so you have to be able to sort it all out for yourself in the end! A fair may be a good place to start showing. Also arts and craft fairs. Get out there and "get your feet wet!"

I agree with Doris - very good advice! I would also like to add that I really like the second one you posted. Very brilliant and bold. Good luck, and hope to see more of your work here.
Paula

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Camdenton, Mo

Hails from United States

Very nice work Amanda. I love them all and would not mind having them hanging on my walls. I think if you have friends liking them enough to take home for free, I feel fairly certain you can sell them!

Ciao,

"If foil'd at first, resume thy course, Rise strengthen'd with Antaen force" William Mason
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Bury, Lancs

Hails from United Kingdom

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. There is an open air show in May next year which someone has asked if I waould like to participate in, so I may have to get my finger out and do a few more paintings for then :-)
I'm going to try to post more often, but due to work commitments it's difficult to find the time.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2010, 05:36 AM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Wonderful luminous colors.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Camdenton, Mo

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amanda*
Thank you all for your kind words and advice. There is an open air show in May next year which someone has asked if I waould like to participate in, so I may have to get my finger out and do a few more paintings for then :-)
I'm going to try to post more often, but due to work commitments it's difficult to find the time.

You have the invite, go for it. Defitnitly can't hurt. I know what you mean about work. I have a full time job. I have suddenly about a month started to get back into are after nearly 30 years. Don't have the time I wish I had to apply to art.

Good Luck

Ciao,

"If foil'd at first, resume thy course, Rise strengthen'd with Antaen force" William Mason