WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Hails from United States
Re: 3 ring binder art journal/sketch book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Do you want this for organization of various sketchs and artwork or for something you can carry around? If it's the former there is an option that may make a standard three ring binder work better for you, and you wouldnt' have to punch any holes. They make clear sheet holders that fit in three ring binders. Those holders would hold any size of artwork from 8.5 X 11 down without having to punch holes in any paper, it's not the most elegant solution and I'm still not sure it fits your requirements for economy. If you buy them in bulk they don't cost that much, a box of 100 cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 if I remember right.

David

Ok, Let me clarify. I enjoy using larger sizes of paper, and with as many children as I have and my reduction in income from not being able to work, getting chemo again and all, cost is the most dictating factor. An example, I am current drawing between a mead heavy weight #80 70 sheet 14 x 11 inch "academie" and a canson of similar weight 9x12 inch 100 sheets both spiral bound from michaels arts and crafts. But this is not cost effective. I had a friend who recently passed away in Afghanistan but had somehow converted a type of three ring binder that I think was made to hold large blue prints so it was bigger then a normal 3 ring binder but as now that he is gone I can not ask him how he had done it, where he obtained the materials etc. Moleskin's as you can imagine the cost would be through the roof .... I want something that i can keep adding paper to until it can take no more with out being damaged.

mark
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2010, 11:27 AM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingDove
Here is the moleskin type coptic journal that I promised, just finished it, taught myself, see my previous entry for the video. There isn't anything in it yet, lol. I used card stock, 2 per signature, and hemp (found in jewelry dept at WM) to bind it and shoebox lids for the covers. The card stock was folded in half, so it measures 5.50x8.50. Hope you all like it. This is just one idea to save money buying sketch pads, you can buy a package of card stock for less than buying one sketch pad.

I love this but i would need a larger size, because i am slowly loosing my vision from retinopathy. I prefer to use larger sizes 9x12 inch is the size I prefer or something in the range. smaller is not good because of my visual problems.

Mark
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
With my pets >'.'<

Hails from United States

So sorry about your condition, Hope you get well soon.

I was looking and brainstorming and have used the binder option. But this was to keep scraps in, which looked messy because the scraps were all types of paper and sizes.

You can make your own size binder using covered cardboard for the covers.

See this site-http://www.judyofthewoods.net/dcmc_binder.html

For paper how about card stock? It comes in 80 lb. If I were to make this, I would buy the rings (they sell them separately at any office supply)

My Cassandra Cat's Art Page~https://www.facebook.com/OilPainting...y/?ref=tn_tnmn

Last edited by FloatingDove : 06-10-2010 at 12:28 PM.