WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 11:11 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States
Re: First Attempts From Someone Who NEVER Thought They Could Ever, Ever Draw

Anne-Marie, this is great stuff. It's interesting to follow your journey. Thanks for sharing. Your marker drawing reminds me of a thumbnail. Just blocking in color and shape to get an idea of what might work. The one in pastels looks like a refinement. Interesting color scheme for masculine tastes. I know my husband would like it.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Thanks, Debby! Yeah, it's interesting in that men actually don't mind red, by and large, as long as it is in combination with neutrals. I like the process of figuring stuff like that out, how people's tastes lean, and how particular colors and styles affect people.

Thank you for looking! I've been enjoying your stuff, too! Your "fake international" journal is a hoot!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Hails from Belgium

Wow, rooms and beds! Great sketches.I'm a guy, but I love browsing furniture and interior design magazines. I've actually collected IKEA's catalogues. I also think they are great for color ideas. Personally though, I like bright colors in my room and toned down colors on my living/study room. Strange, I guess

-Raymond-
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Anne-Marie - I actually like your first drawing on #30!! Its got a nice kinda "comfy" feel to it, "cozy"!! Just my honest opinion.... but the second one is lovely too and would feel very at home in either!
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Interesting concepts! I like your marker rendering, think it came out better than you think even if you traced to get the good perspective. It's loose and effective. Of course later marker rendering is probably tons better, but I still like it. Cool one with the Unisons used as watercolor, that was very effective.

The color scheme with the stamps is interesting, not my taste but interesting as a compromise to create a married couple's bedroom.

I normally hate neutrals, but this house has a tan neutral that I like a lot with the oak colored woodwork. It has enough color to be there and not look white-institutional and it connects with the wood without just being a lighter shade of it. I don't know why I like it, but it works and is tons better than white.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 06-01-2010 at 01:52 PM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2010, 11:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Escondido, CA

Hails from United States

Hi Ann Marie!
I'm playing catch-up on my commenting in this forum and just ran across this inspiring post of yours. I LOVE that art can be a passion we come to either early or later in life and it can be just as exciting and rewarding either way. Your story, and your slow, timid progress feel so familiar to me. Although the details are different, mine was a very similar path.

You have ALWAYS had so much creativity bundled up inside you, and your journey has been largely one of discovery, revealing, uncovering, as well as developing what has always been there.
It's fantastic to be able to figuratively sit on the sidelines and cheer you on. I have come to believe that MANY of us somehow suffered that early discouragement that Robert talks about, but through our lives, that inate creativity will come out in one way or another. We may be creative in the way we approach child-rearing, doing our jobs, decorating our houses, arranging flowers, or care-giving our aging parents. But we still have that internal self-estime issue that keeps nagging at us: "You just don't have TALENT! You can't draw, you can't paint, you can't blah, blah, blah." It is so exhilerating to finally discover that drawing and painting and yes, even "blah, blah, blah" are SKILLS that we can actually develop and while some people seem to have the talent bestowed on them at birth, even THEY probably spent hours and days and months and years (maybe as children) honing and developing the SKILL.

Kudos to you for breaking through the fear, discouragement, and doubt and letting your internal creativity have a chance to reveal itself and then blossom and grow.

Jean

"People's dreams are made out of what they do all day. The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits. It's what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around."