WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2016, 04:13 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Art Journal - Life's Journey Book 4

Hullo everyone
It's been a while since I posted a Journal on this Forum (sorry !) But I have been sketching in my Journal, every now and then.
I like to use multi-media in my Journals - ink, watercolor, Inktense Pencils, Neocolors etc. and also a bit of Scrapbooking too.

This is my current Journal. I'm trying a cheap one, which has thin paper, no good for watercolor washes, so I've resorted to painted on watercolor paper then gluing the completed pages into my Journal. I've already done many pages in it but will only post the up-to-date pages.

Charcoal sketches of my beloved Newfoundland/Labrador dog "Blossom",who went to the Rainbow Bridge 2 years ago, she was 15 years old. Even though I have another puppy - Pippa 10months old Jack Russel/Fox Terrier, and absolute ball of mischief! - I still miss my Blossom intently, and I guess I always will.

I've been offline for a few weeks with eye problems and had an eye operation on 18th February. Eyes still not syncing properly but now I'm able to see to type...always a big improvement! This is a sketch of how my eyes looked for some time after my op. I had very weird looking eyes! They are now looking much better thank goodness.

Some carnations, a friend brought me after my op. They smelt delightful. This is ink and watercolor

I bought some new Gladiola corms and planted them with lots of fertilizer. I looked around and my Pippa puppy, had dug them all up again...little horror! So I replanted and they are flowering now - it's late Summer here in New Zealand.
Inktense pencils

That's all for now folks. I just need to get on and sketch in my Journal more.
Thanks for looking!

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 03-01-2016 at 04:16 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Puget Sound

Hails from United States
Re: Art Journal - Life's Journey Book 4

This is a nice journal, Viv. The perfect way to record memories.
I especially like the gladiolas.

I hope to get back into my journals more, but for the moment painterbear (Sylvia) has me busy in the basic watercolor class in the Learning Zone forum.

Keep up the good work.

Philip on Aurora
(C&C Welcomed)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2016, 04:59 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Glad to see this journal here, Vivien! I fully understand your feelings about Blossom. We had a Newfie who was the absolute sweetest dog. We also had three Labs, a black rescue Lab, a chocolate and a yellow. The chocolate and yellow made it to a month shy of 16 years old, and Lady the rescued black Lab made it to 17! (We adopted her at age 7.) I still miss all of them and they've been gone for about six years. Our current furry child is Rosie, a tricolor Pembroke Corgi who has us extremely well trained - she is way too smart for us.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-01-2016, 05:18 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Gloppus - Thank you!
Yes I've been looking in to Painter Bear's watercolor class too. And yes I should also post in it...my watercolor technique leaves a lot to be desired!

JTMB - Thank you!
Yes I had the best of both worlds in my Blossom. You can't go passed the Labrador breed and Newfies are in a world of their own.
Blossom was just so tuned into me...so bright, and sensitive. I'm sure she could read my mind. I would be thinking of doing something and without any movement from me, she would be up and ready to go. It was heart-breaking having to make the decision to put her to sleep. But the time comes when you have to put them first...she was so old and sick. But until the very last second of her life, she thought she was protecting me and raised her head to bark at the vet to keep away from her "Mum".

My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:42 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Sorry about your Blossom. Beautiful tribute. Glad you are on the mend and seeing better. Lovely flower sketches.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:04 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Nice sketches and glad your eye is improving.

If you want to see some videos of really good work being done in watercolour, look up Rosie Sanders, Paul Riley, Alvaro Castagnet and Shirley Trevena on youtube

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

Glad that you are on the mend and sorry to hear about your loss of Blossom. It may have been awhile back, but those of us who love our animals really suffer a great loss with their passing. They are members of the family..Your tribute to her is lovely.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2016, 12:31 AM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

So happy your eyes are on the mend. Love the glads and your tribute to Blossom -- very special.

Kate
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2016, 10:31 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks everyone!

Here's another couple of pages.

New Zealand is trialing the idea of having a new flag. We've had our old flag for over a century and our Government thinks it's now time for a change. After asking New Zealanders to submit designs for a new flag - which many did - several designs were chosen. A referendum picked the most popular and now another referendum, is in the process of choosing that most popular design, to go head-to-head, with our old current flag.
And my goodness, how the debate has heated up! There are those who desperately want to keep the old flag and those who desperately want the new one....mostly people think our old one is too much like Australia's flag....the Australians agree! I've already voted...but I'm not saying for which one, I wonder which one will win!

My next page; A friend and I, went for a walk in our City's Central Park. A beautiful park, covering acres of landscaped grounds, with a fitness track, Animal enclosures, an Aviary etc. We then went to the Museum Coffee Shop for morning tea. I ordered a cup of Hot Chocolate, which turned out to be a cup of coffee. I was not impressed as I hate coffee..but it was quite funny, as the lady who was sitting at the next table, got my cup of hot chocolate! We both looked at each other and laughed!

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 03-12-2016 at 10:35 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2016, 04:08 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Do let us know which flag wins. Great journal pages.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2016, 04:28 PM
WC! Guide
Henderson, Nevada, USA

Hails from New Zealand

So hard to know how I'd vote Vivien! I do like the new design and the silver fern is so emblematic of New Zealand, but I grew up with the current one. Hmmmm... I'm wondering if they'll let expats vote?

Kate
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2016, 05:34 PM

Hails from New Zealand

Thanks Debby & Kate - I also grew up with the old/current flag.

This has aroused a passionate response by people who never knew they cared about it! Lawrence and I (and Pippa) went for a drive to our Port of Bluff on Sunday, and I was amazed at how many houses were flying our current flag! Private homes, which had never flown a flag before! There was only one, who was flying the new flag.
Extremely interesting - maybe time for a change of flag? We all identify with our New Zealand Silver Fern, and have for generations. Looking forward to hearing the results of how Kiwis voted!

My Blog; Art By Vivien

Last edited by Vivien Maloney : 03-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Viv, great to see your journal pages. Hope your eyes are getting back to normal. Blossom looks like she was a dear pet...and we get so attached to them. It will be interesting to see which flag is picked. It is always so hard to give up something that was a tradition for so long. I'm sure there will be happy people either way...and unhappy ones too.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2016, 12:56 AM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

The flag situation is interesting - personally I'm glad to see that tradition appears to be winning out. I so identify with you and Blossom - I've been there a couple times before. Eliminating their suffering is the right thing to do but so so difficult. Wonderful that you're back!

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2016, 01:53 AM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States

Beautiful sketches, Viv. The gladiolas are delightful and it's good to know you are getting better.