WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Sketchbook/Art Journal forum?
Yes, I would be an active participant. 37 29.60%
Yes, I would be an occasional participant. 60 48.00%
I would be a lurker. 12 9.60%
I would not be interested. 16 12.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Immortalized
California

Re: Sketchbook/Art Journal Forum Participation Poll

Right now I'm just beginning a new project journal of my travels, starting with my first, back in 1985. New to my camera then, not all my pictures came out...probably lost about 25% on that trip...so I'm starting by writing and illustrating my memories, ouch, a 25 year stretch! Gotta do it before I forget. But I tend to pick up whatever medium I'm in the mood for. So far I've done two in colored pencil, another in ink and watercolor wash, another in gouache. The only place I'm showing them together is in my art blog because of the wide variety of media and references. I'll get around to sketching from my photos and maybe some from google street view, and some from my souvenirs.

Jaime, I love how you're writing over parts of your sketches. I haven't yet broken out of my blocky structure. I think Rachel said it best, the journal's series of images is about the story.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Wow, best of luck with that wabbitt. Thats quite a project you've set for yourself! :-)
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l Heather l
I'm not sure how this forum would add value to WC. If people are trying to get input on composition, or balance, or color usage or learn how to draw better then wouldn't it make sense for them to post their sketches in forums where experts can help them?

If there is a forum just about Journals and how to keep a Journal, what would be the point of such a discussion? What would be the value to artists to have a discussion about how to keep a Journal or a sketchbook? I think most artists would already know this.

There are always exceptions, but I sincerely doubt that most potential users of the proposed Sketchbook forum would be there for "input on composition, or balance, or color usage or [to] learn how to draw better." For some -- many -- there's something inherently interesting in seeing what goes on behind the scenes. It's nice to see the finished works, or even WIPs, but that's like only ever seeing someone all made up and dressed to the nines.

If you've considered the option and don't find the idea interesting, then it's not for you -- nothing wrong with that. But we all get something different out of interacting with others, and I'm much less interested in everyone's "public face." The unconstructed (or, usually, less self-restricted) nature of sketchbooks adds a more vulnerable layer to the work we share. Obviously, that's not for everyone.

My main artistic weakness is maintaining a sketchbook, precisely because it's so personal. I like the idea of being able to share my sketchbook because, well, I want to, but I need to do it in an environment where I and my viewers can go our own way at the end of the viewing and any judgment is either reserved, pointless, or welcome -- none of which is true for anyone I know personally right now. I don't need input, but I do like the idea of a sketchbook forum.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Immortalized
The beautiful Caboolture Shire

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritajill
None of these could be shown in the sketching forum.
In fact these are the secret tools of the artist and rarely shown. Are we brave enough to publish?

I wish someone would have the courage, because it would help out those learning sooooooooo much, not to mention to remind others that life is neither perfect nor simple, and a journal is perfect to get those problems and memoreies sorted out!!!!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperwood
I like the idea of each person sticking to their own thread but if comments were allowed by others (and I would hope so) then the pictures would be broken up anyway with the comments between them. Thats if it was done the same way that the forum threads are now....Maybe it wouldn't matter if the pictures were broken up by viewers comments? Afterall, we do that now with WIP's, no reason it wouldn't work for journaling...

Rachel, yes, it would be wonderful for artists to be able to run a thread for their sketchbooks, or a thread for each sketchbook if they keep different books for different themes. Whatever belongs together could be shown together as time goes by.

I hear what you're saying about the comments interrupting the flow of the work for somebody browsing the thread. Hopefully the WC upgrades will come along soon, and then the pages should load quickly. I'm sure most of us would like to have the comments. I don't know how else we could do it, but I'd be open to suggestions!

Jamie
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Jamie - thankfully I have no problems regarding the spead of WC loading pages, non at all. :-) It was the comments I was refering to, but then like I said I don't think this would cause much of a problem really because the whole reason of posting something personal online is the interaction with others & their "comments" about it. Absolutely. I'm sure it would work just fine. I don't know if you guys have a limit on "thread length" ? They could get pretty long! But what interesting reading!
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM

I wonder if it would be worth coming up with a couple symbols, like the "butt" icon; one to mark a sketchbook thread where we want to publish our work, but would rather treat it like a confessional than a tea party (i.e. don't really want comments or input), and maybe a symbol for threads where we welcome questions and comments but don't really need feedback, and then an unmarked thread could be a free-for-all.

I know it seems convoluted, but I think that, as sensitive as some people can be about their sketchbooks, we might get more willing participants if people know there are clear, easily understandable limits than can be placed on the quantity or quality of interaction.

(Actually, I'm sure we have symbols already that would suffice, e.g. the "big grin" could be the free-for-all symbol, and maybe the "cool" one for those who want some distance from the viewers.)
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Journals do appear in other forums as single threads, here are a couple of examples from the Watercolor Studio:

My Garden Journal by Scattykat

My Watercolor Journal by robertsloan2

These reappear at the top of the list when the members update their thread and are enjoyed and appreciated by the members. We would be sad if they went away to a separate forum.

Doug
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont

Hails from United States

Doug, I don't think they would have to. Some folks may be dedicated to a particular media and wish to stay there. Or, in some cases, crosspost.

Personally, I would be excited by a sketchbook/journal forum, both for content and sharing from those who make their own sketchbooks. I've kept sketchbooks and journals since I was a child. From the beginning have preferred those without lines, because inevitably my "journals" are a combination of words and drawings. The books themselves vary from bound blank books to hand-made books of various papers. I use whatever media I feel like. The books are for exploring.

It was an epiphany when I went to see the Monet traveling exhibit that included his sketch/notebooks. Some of the sketchbooks were exhibited under glass, but the curators had arranged for them to be digitally copied in their entirety. Several computers were set up, and people could spend hours studying the contents. It was wonderfully illuminating to see the process that Monet used in working out his paintings. Some of his "sketches" were detailed, others simple blockouts of compositional options for a particular painting. Part of the beauty of it was realizing that my own rather flakey approach was perfectly acceptible.

I have an entire folder in my bookmarked websites dedicated to other people's sketchbook blogs. I learn so much from them. Then there are the people who make sketchbooks themselves, for various reasons: the pleasure of creating something that is itself a beautiful work of art, or making a simply bound book of a favored paper.

Occasionally I hang out on a forum called "The Fountain Pen Network" (because I prefer to write with fountain pens, and often sketch with them). The Network includes a subforum for paper and sketchbooks, but it is mostly oriented toward non-artists. However, one of my favorite sketchbook/journals is a small handmade beauty I bought from a talented young man on the forum. It lies completely flat when open, so I can use both pages for a larger sketch if I wish. The larger sketchbook on my sofa table, a gift from my son-in-law, is made of handmade paper that takes ink beautifully. When I am done with that one, I want to make a simple, cord-bound book myself, using a particular sized paper that I like the feel of-- good for ink, pencil, watercolor, and even acrylics.

And I would love a forum here on WC where I could share this passion both for sketchbooking/art journaling, and for the objects that contain them, with other artists. I hope it happens. There is room for it. And a need. Not for everyone, but then I've never gone near some of the forums, because they don't meet a need for me. As the saying goes, different stroke for different folks.

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly... (anonymous)
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Doug - thank you so much for posting these links, I really enjoyed seeing these journals. A thread per person, or per journal works just fine! :-)
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Middle of Oklahoma, US

Hails from United States

I teach art journaling and mixed media at our local technical school. The entire book can be considered a single work. Mostly it is a place to experiment. There are TONS of techniques to make playing in an art journal fun and interesting and a single place to share them would be VERY cool indeed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592148
The simple mechanics of craftsmanship, drawing, carpentry, sculpting, etc., are not art. The art is that burning inside that simply demands to be expressed through one's trade. Art is applied creativity.- Blade

The Artistic Biker
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Just saw this thread; I would participate, sketching is an important part of my art life.

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
Journals do appear in other forums as single threads, here are a couple of examples from the Watercolor Studio:

My Garden Journal by Scattykat

My Watercolor Journal by robertsloan2

These reappear at the top of the list when the members update their thread and are enjoyed and appreciated by the members. We would be sad if they went away to a separate forum.

Doug

Doug, thank you! I'm so moved that you'd put mine in the same category as Scattykat's. I was inspired by Kat to start it, and as a result the too-good gift Moleskine journal from my daughter is now over half full of color charts and watercolor paintings. Hers is much more disciplined and often more frequently updated.

What I'm looking forward to in the Sketchbook-Journals forum is seeing more threads structured like this -- but not all medium-organized. I'll probably keep my Watercolor Journal in Watercolor Gallery because it is dedicated to the medium.

I'd like to see more like this and I don't put dry sketches into my watercolor journal, don't do ink drawings that stand on their own without color or pencil drawings or pastel drawings. I love sketchbooks and bound journals because if I sketch on loose pieces of paper I'm going to lose them. It's much easier to see my progress in a bound journal.

I'm considering getting a Koolbind or improvising one so that I can do the same thing with pastels and oil pastels, or adapting a watercolor book by painting Colourfix primer on some or all of its pages for using pastels on it.

That's the kind of discussion that'd fit the new forum too. Some people may be making their own journals for the reason that no manufacturer has come out with the one they want.

I'd also like participants in the new forum to do me a personal favor with their sketchbooks. Since something that comes up in sketchbooks all the time is preliminary drawings and studies for serious paintings (be they oils, pastels, whatever) and the finished painting is likely not to be in the sketchbook... please, when you do the finished painting, go back and post to your sketchbook thread and link to the finished painting.

What I'm specifically going to enjoy reading this new forum is threads like mine and Skattykat's where a lot of small works are done in sequence and dated so I can see the progression.

In almost all the forums, especially Drawing and Sketching, I find threads for the day's artwork. If it's fast moving, a prolific artist will have several pieces in that thread.

The linear-over-time progression of seeing the OMG-good artist's work several months ago is hard to find anywhere else on WC.

I participate in the All-Media Sketch Thread Part Six and have participated in that particular small group of artists growing together since about Part Three or Part Four. No matter what forum we posted it in, many of us cross-post to the thread and so if one piece is watercolor and one's pastel and three are pencil sketches... I'll still see them all in my friend's daily post. And be familiar with what she was doing six months ago or two threads ago to see the growth.

I think it helps morale a lot to see the ugly early sketches, mistakes, blotches, gestures and goof-ups done by people who can draw and paint well. The linear nature of sketchbooks is going to be very encouraging.

If someone wants to participate but usually puts their sketches in a stack of loose sheets of different paper, just picking up a binder or folder for the lot would count as turning it into a sketchbook, especially if they get sorted by how old they are with the oldest first. I might even take this as an opportunity to sort out all the ones that are on loose sheets and find a way to organize them and keep them.

I started using actual sketchbooks because I lost so many good drawings that were just on loose bits of good paper. Or I'd sell them to someone. If I wanted to keep my art, the best place to keep it was on a bookshelf in a filled volume or right next to me in the current one. I think this new forum will have enough participants to turn it into a lively group.

I think the moderators should come to expect a certain amount of cross-posting to/from other forums because the context of "my pastel sketch of Ari" in the sketchbook forum is part of my Cats Journal (and within it if I can find a way to bind multiple types of paper) but in Pastel Forum it's there without the accompanying ink drawings of his paws in detail or his left ear in pencil from life because he moved before I could do the rest of his head.

But there's a lot of healthy cross-posting throughout WC. WDE paintings wind up in their medium forums more often than not. Challenge drawings wind up in the Daily Painting thread in All-Media Art Events or in their medium forums.

I think there's going to be a completely different feel to this new forum if most of the threads aren't "today's art" but "today's entry" onto a thread that goes back to the beginning of the volume. Even if someone's volume is "my loose sketches" there's a lot I can learn from it, and I'm sure others will come in with interesting ways to turn the stack into a collection that's easier to store on a bookshelf.

For length of threads, it might be good to start a new thread when a volume is full though, so that it doesn't go to 5,000 posts.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Well said Robert.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperwood
Well said Robert.

yes

3 of the paintings I'm putting into an exhibition at the weekend came from sketchbook work - never intended to be finished pieces but exploring and trying to understand the movement of waves and particular places.

If I do sell a piece from a sketchbook then I scan it, print it out and stick that in the sketchbook so that the linear aspect and grouping of observations isn't lost.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568