WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Sketchbook/Art Journal forum?
Yes, I would be an active participant. 37 29.60%
Yes, I would be an occasional participant. 60 48.00%
I would be a lurker. 12 9.60%
I would not be interested. 16 12.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Boston,Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Sketchbook/Art Journal Forum Participation Poll

In Re: Myself,Posts or images posted....
Unless Specifically Indicated; Critiques & Comments ought be Regarded as a Standing priority, and proof of worthwhile Life! I do live for feedback, Invite contest, challenge and feel that time's awastin' and can ill afford It's non-productive or unsatisfying expenditure.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Sketchbook/Art Journal Forum Participation Poll

Gosh Jamie - has anybody asked them whether they'd like to change the criteria? Or more to the point - has anybody asked those who use or have used that forum in the past?

When I used to post there, there were lots of people who were hampeerd by the criteria. In fact most of the people I know out in the blogging world who used to post there now use brushes and mixed media far more BECAUSE they are no longer confined by that constraint at that time in that forum. In other words that perceived constraint at the time was probably losing the forum members because it in no way reflects what drawing and sketching is about.

However I've just been to look and I can't see any constraint about media in any of the captions which describe what the Drawing and Sketching forum is about.

It seems to me the problem comes about because Drawing and Sketching has in the past been treated and labelled as a 'media' when in fact it's a SKILL and a PRACTICE just as use of composition and colour are. It's certainly not a MEDIA forum since drawing and sketching use ALL MEDIA.

It also advertises itself as a skill based forum (ie it ought to be part of the learning channel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawing and Sketching Channel
Come discuss staple topics such as perspective and line, explore exciting figure drawing techniques, and more!

and

Quote:
The Classroom - Looking to hone your drawing skills? Step into the Classroom and take part in the many classes offered. Various subjects and drawing mediums represented. Great for the beginner or seasoned artist!

If a MEDIA forum is in fact required as well (eg treat graphite and charcoal in the same way as pastels) then that needs to be worked out - but I for one cannot see anything which says drawing and sketching is a MEDIA focused forum in the same way as watercolour and pastels are.

Bottom line - the issue is about a perception (by some) that drawing and sketching are not done in all media and should be limited to media which don't use brushes. However this is a faulty perception and does not support the development and education of emerging artists in the practice of sketching.

Final word - Turner did lots and lots of sketches in watercolour. But he wouldn't be able to post them in the Drawing and Sketching Forum on WC if brushes are not allowed!

Enough said?

Last edited by Katherine T : 03-22-2010 at 10:45 AM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

I just had a thought...

Wouldn't a multi-media sketchbook/art journal be appropriate and welcome in the mixed media/alt materials forum?
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast
Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy

Hails from Australia

My goodness, I haven't been here for such a long time, but I have such warm memories of the Drawing & Sketching Forum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have no memory of that forum being so rigid in those days. Like Katherine T, I think a sketch is a state of mind and approach and not media dependent - a stick dipped in a cup of coffee was acceptable in my day.

I have far too many sketchbooks and journals - it's an addiction. The only reason I'm not participating in this poll is because I can no longer spare the time to comment as generously on other peoples' work as the WCers continue to do. Good luck with your debate
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
eating pizza in Trieste!

Hails from Italy

???
I don't understand some reasons for the new proposed forum, like the ones that go: "watercolours sketches would not be accepted in D&S forum"

Ok, but they are still accepted in the watercolour forum! So, what's the fuss about? Oh no! charcoal sketches won't be accepted in the sculpture forum! Digital art sketches won't be accepted in the pen&ink forum.. ok, but they still have places to be accepted in. So, as criterion, that one doesn't convince me.

Now, is it true that people who thinks sketching is an end in itself, they would very much prefer an all-media sketching forum. That's more reasonable... I just have one additional comment:

As long as posting of sketchings are allowed elsewhere, I don't mind how many forums on sketching you open. I consider sketching not as an end in itself, just a stage to reach something else. Even sculptors do sketch. So, e.g., if I become a sculptor and I want to post a sketch in the sculpture forum, I hope they will not start annoying me with "post it in the sketch forum!" messages, because I consider sketch not that important from aesthetical point of view... just a skill but not an end in itself.

So, good for the sketches lovers, but will I be allowed to post sketches in the other forums still?

Greetings
Isaac
PS: As for the poll, I'd not be interested. You can create the forum, but I'll not go there every time I do some sketching... I mean... for me, it's just a sketch!
Isaac

A true friend is somebody who would never allow you to do crazy things... alone!

Last edited by Isaac M.M. : 03-22-2010 at 06:05 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac M.M.
......... I'll not go there every time I do some sketching... I mean... for me, it's just a sketch!

Please see Post #37 of this thread. The forum under consideration is not a "sketching" forum.

Also, it really does not matter how many people do not want to go there, though I put that as a poll option because there are always folks who want to be able to say "no" to something. It only matters how many members would be interested in participating.

Jamie
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 10:15 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine T

However I've just been to look and I can't see any constraint about media in any of the captions which describe what the Drawing and Sketching forum is about.

See my post #31.

Jamie
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 10:16 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
California

Hails from United States

I'm not sure how this forum would add value to WC. If people are trying to get input on composition, or balance, or color usage or learn how to draw better then wouldn't it make sense for them to post their sketches in forums where experts can help them?

If there is a forum just about Journals and how to keep a Journal, what would be the point of such a discussion? What would be the value to artists to have a discussion about how to keep a Journal or a sketchbook? I think most artists would already know this.

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by l Heather l

If there is a forum just about Journals and how to keep a Journal, what would be the point of such a discussion? What would be the value to artists to have a discussion about how to keep a Journal or a sketchbook? I think most artists would already know this.

If you read the thread and the posts by artists who are interested in such a forum, you'll see what draws them to the idea. Surely it's not for everybody, which is why the poll is here to determine if enough artists are interested. If we have enough, we may create a forum. If we don't, we move on.

Jamie
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 AM
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States

I've been interested in sketchbooks and art journals for some time. I've read about them, read excerpts from them, watch videos featuring them, so this current discussion about the subject has held my attention for days now. I like the idea of this forum. It is a journey I would like to be part of. Thanks for asking, Jamie!

Carrie
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Immortalized
California

I bought a Pentalic watercolor jounal last year. It's expensive, I mulled over it for several months before buying it. Love the paper and the leather cover but I hated how it was bound...basically a pile of 60 pages folded in half. Made it really bulky and impossible to lay flat.

So I broke the paper up into signatures and sewed them together with nylon thread.

I do have a problem where the signatures come together. I did better on my 2nd attempt (at a thinner sketchbook) and I'd be willing to take it apart again if I could find a better way.

This is only one example of what I imagine a sketchbook/journal forum would discuss. Just like relatively few coffee drinkers would want to roast their own coffee bean, I expect relatively few sketchers would want to make or remake their own sketchbooks. I love to see what on the outside of sketchbooks/journals as well as on the inside.

BTW, if anyone knows of a site to help me out, I would be grateful.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.

Last edited by wabbitt : 03-23-2010 at 01:00 AM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Julie, that's a great example of a way in which such a forum could be useful. I've often thought of making my own because I can't find paper I love in a sketchbook.

Here are a few pages from one of my sketchbook journals that would not be eligible for the Drawing and Sketching forum. It's done in gouache, from a trip I took out to Bannerman Island. I ended up posting them to the Plein Air forum, but there are other pages of this book that are not plein air work, so there is nowhere I can post the journal as a collection, the way it was intended to be viewed.

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-23-2010 at 07:59 AM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

hi
i only came across this by accident
i agree with much that has been said, i will vote yes, i would sincerly hope to participate on a regular basis.
i have had an interest is sketching and journalling now for some time, and feel i would benefit from somewhere to go specifically related to these areas...art materials, actual journal/sketchbook recommendations, etc/
i am particularly interested in ink and watercolour, after visiting some of sketchbook/journal sites on the internet and reading claudia nice etc./
i feel the regular sketching would be a postive step to improving my drawing, while the journalling is a creative process i would genuinely like to explore and learn more about.
sorry for being a bit long winded, but i think an aditional forum would be a great idea, surely it could be tried out and evaluated in say 6 months to determine whether it is a permanent thing.
thanks
janine
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Sketching and drawing are indeed two very different things, and I have always understood sketching to be a process, either of loosening up for "real work" trying to narrow down an approach, allowing your subconscious mind to find a direction, going in a direction you normally wouldn't otherwise, etc.

A sketchbook can be instructive sketch by sketch, but they always seemed to me most instructive when viewed cover to cover. Given that we're trying to justify a new forum by its uniqueness, this proposal only makes sense to me if each poster starts one thread that becomes, in essence, their virtual sketchbook, always posting only to that one thread, so that we can all enter their sketchbook and flip through it page by page. If people are starting new threads, for each handful of new sketches, then the point of the process is lost, and the sense of continuity, of flow, or the shock of radical change, is lost.

he poster who made the comment about the forum being about format rather than medium is correct, but that sense of format needs to be carried into the forum or it seems to me that there's no point.

Last edited by JuliaK : 03-23-2010 at 12:24 PM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Guernsey

Jamie - WONDERFUL journal! Thats exactly what I was thinking. Wabbit too!
It doesn't matter what the media is, but the story. Instead of looking through someones photo album or "memory" album you're looking through a journal where the images have been done by the artists hand. They tell a story, a little piece of the life of that person that is somehow so attractive to others to browse through!
I like the idea of each person sticking to their own thread but if comments were allowed by others (and I would hope so) then the pictures would be broken up anyway with the comments between them. Thats if it was done the same way that the forum threads are now....Maybe it wouldn't matter if the pictures were broken up by viewers comments? Afterall, we do that now with WIP's, no reason it wouldn't work for journaling...
I'm still for the journaling forum - hopefully something can be worked out. Like has been suggested, a trial period may not be a bad thing. Good luck :-)

Last edited by Whisperwood : 03-23-2010 at 01:18 PM.