WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 09:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Blue Ridge Slope - Finished.

I attempted this painting quite a while ago and never did resolve the color issues to my satisfaction. It was also quite a bit larger than this version. I decided to do a small study to see if I could come up with a solution. 8 3/4 x 11 1/2 (Wallis)

I used acrylic inks for an underpainting on this smaller version which gave me the brilliance that was missing in the larger painting. As I recall, the larger painting was done on the rust colored Colourfix, which may have caused my frustration as the whole painting seemed to be one hue.

I changed the grass color to this green, which changed the whole complexion of the painting from fall time to a spring time look. Still not a resolution, but I feel better about this one.

Please, I'd like opinions on the slope of the painting - does your eye travel down and out of the painting, or up from the corner to the red/pink bushes? If it is a problem, how do I fix this?

This is a work in progress and I have not yet finished with the grasses. I also see that the yellow horizon needs some softening.

I might do a crop - thoughts?

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
Re: Blue Ridge Slope - Work In Progress (WIP)

I find this very very attractive, Kathryn!

I did read the text, and I understand your struggles, sometimes things just don't turn out the way we had them in our minds... I haven't seen the larger one,so I really don't know what issues you had there, but this one is lovely!

If you are concerned about the eye traveling down and out from the paper, why don't you put a stopper? Actually it's already there, you just need to increase the size, to cut through the slopes, it's the little tree in the shaddow on the left viewing size, just make it bigger ( say to mid-sky) Try to picture this in your mind first, to see if it brings any resolution ( it's just my idea, might not be the best...)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 10:40 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

Boy, I went back to find a photo of that painting - no wonder I was unhappy with it. Attaching photo I am working from.

Last edited by Kathryn Wilson : 11-28-2009 at 10:44 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Australia

Hi Kathryn,
I also think this is lovely. I like the complimentary colours you have used and I don't think your eye travels out of the picture.For what its worth I much prefer the uncropped version.
Mary
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast
Whitby, North Yorkshire, England

Hails from England

I too like the uncropped version. I think the colours are stunning and the pink sky add to the warmth of the painting.

John

Member of the Pastel Guild of Europe http://pastelguild.com/

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:21 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Two very different paintings, Kat. I don't remember seeing the original version - maybe before my time here. Depending on how close you want to stay to your photo (not very is my guess ) I wonder if you could use the direction of the light more to your advantage. It looks like it's coming low and from the left, at least judging by the weed head in the lower left corner. I see some nice long shadows from unseen trees. If you wanted a stopper for the left side could you invent a shadow there? Maybe if you put some of those red weeds in shadow it would reinforce the look of long, low light that mostly hits the top of the hill. This might also put a little more emphasis on the group of trees since they sit up higher. Did you take a photo of your underpainting? I see pink under the sky but am curious if you used other colors for the rest. I really like what you have done so far!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Littleton, CO

Hails from United States

Hi Katherine! The colors are absolutely luscious...

It does travel downhill for me, and the thing that makes it more evident to my eye is the hill on the right side, in the distance. It's not reading distant enough. I think before you do anything try muting and softening the edges there and see what happens. If I cover it up with my hand, I now "linger longer" in the bushes.

Cindy's Blog
Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Hi Kathryn,

I think that the crop works better. I do find that there is somewhat of a downhill momentum to the uncropped version. I think it is because your focal point bush is on the same side (the left) as is the slope (to the left). Your original compositions has that little tree on the right side of the slope which better balances the comp to me, pulling the eye back up the hill. Perhaps adding an element there in your new painting will help do the same. Just a thought. Balance is very much a personal thing, I have found.

The color and energy of the strokes is very nice!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:32 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Kathryn, I think the colors in this newer version are pretty nice. Esp. like the vibrant pink!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiro
If you are concerned about the eye traveling down and out from the paper, why don't you put a stopper? Actually it's already there, you just need to increase the size, to cut through the slopes, it's the little tree in the shaddow on the left viewing size, just make it bigger ( say to mid-sky) Try to picture this in your mind first, to see if it brings any resolution ( it's just my idea, might not be the best...)
Messing around with your ref pic, below. (That was fun!!) The rise on the left helps me stay in the frame.

Jan

+++++++++++++++++

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast
Dixie

Hails from United States

Colors are fabulous. It does run downhill for me, I think because the whole piece seems to be downhill, its missing emphasis on that part on the left that flattens out and runs back.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Kat, you picked a tough photo I have to say. It's just a difficult composition that could have you chasing the frustration. I like the newer of the pieces but still can't figure out what would work with the slope.

How about this crop? I LOVE THE GLOW IN THE TREES AND YOUR COLOR CHOICES... IT'S GOT SOME STUNNING PARTS.

Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 01:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I hope you don't mind but I noodled around with your pic, too... Here's another possibility for you:

I always like to energize my pics this way to inspire me. It may or may not work the same for you, but it's a thought.

Have fun! I LOVE the start of this one... Go, go, go!

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Wow - I think you took a bit too much acid at one time in your life Deborah. LOL

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 01:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Kathryn, what an interesting dilemma!

The rust-coloured paper never worked for me either.

OK, my take on this: It does slide down the slope, if I may be frank.

Now, in the ref, there were some interesting things:

The area outlined in blue needs to be *way* more distant, as it is now, in your painting, it reinforces the slope.
Saturated pink shows an area with lots of straight horizontal lines, subtle and hidden in the shadows, but they do balance the movement. The odd line in same pink was my trying to trace the lay of the land, it looks like there is a ridge at the back that curves sharply down, and then towards us there is a flat area leading to the fg slope, and there I curved it up to the bush. The green "head of a seal" is that dark green bit, I think it is some growth in front of the large bush, and in the photo it acts as a brake, stopping the flowing down of the bush.

Then in pale pink, you have some "hat-pins" pinning the whole thing down, that is, strong verticals, including the distant tree, which is also an important stopper. Green verticals in the fg indicate that the main movement of the grass is vertical, and only a few strands bow.

I think that if you add some horizontals, and verticals, you'll 'pin it down', and then if the green patch at the foot of the bush doesn't look like lit slope behind, but is a weed in front of the bush, it'll work better.

My eye is drawn to the yellow, straight away. It is the smallest bit of bright colour, and as the red portions are big, this little yellow becomes a magnet. Knock it back with a bit of pink, that might work.

In the old version, you do have more horizontals and verticals, but the colour energy of the new version is much juicier!

Will be very interesting to see where you take this one. All the different suggestions are so cool!

Charlie

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoonan
Wow - I think you took a bit too much acid at one time in your life Deborah. LOL

Not guilty! I come by this 'au naturel'!

Deborah
Gouache Blog