WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Lelystad, the Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Lightbulb Re: Writing and illustrating my own book- anyone else as crazy as I?

LeslieBeau, if you really want it, just give it a try. Writing is also something that you must learn, just like your first drawings, which, I'm sure, are far worse than what you're drawing now.

By just waiting, you won't learn how to write a book. Or anything else, for that matter. So don't expect your first attempt to be a masterpiece. A text can be changed, you can start again, and if you keep trying you'll see that you get better and better until you're good enough to publish your work.

It's up to you to decide what you want.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Blythewood South Carolina

Hails from United States
Re: Writing and illustrating my own book- anyone else as crazy as I?

I give you alot of credit for undertaking the book. I have often wondered what it would be like to do something like that, but I am still closer to the beginning of learning about art so as not to be so brave at this point in time to even seriously beginning such an endeavour.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Christchurch

Hails from New Zealand

Re:Writing and illustrating my own book - anyone else as crazy as I?
Yes I was and I would encourage you to have a go. No I did not get published - it's a very difficult field to enter into - but I learnt a lot and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Try to join a writers centre or search the net for Children's Writers and Illustrators Associations they were really informative and encouraging. I scanned my graphics and printed out my story into a home made book that my grandchildren have really enjoyed - and I did a second one with a third lined up in the future. All the best in your project.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Rochester, Ny

Hails from United States

Its a great idea! Im still working on 2 books from 1998! The mouse is very cool, please let me know when you have more done on your book.
Manny
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2009, 04:45 PM

That's great that you are working on this. I have my degree in children's book illustration but I've decided I don't want to do it after all. I just always am changing my style and don't want to limit myself to one style for a book, and be trying to please the author, editor, etc. I like my freedom. So now I'm pursuing art therapy. Well, enough about me.

My alma mater, The University of Findlay in Findlay, OH, has the largest teaching museum of children's book art in the United States. They have biannual institutes where they bring in children's book illustrators to speak about their work, and have breakout sessions and workshops on related topics. They also bring in illustrators all the time, they get some big names at times. I think it would be about 7 hours away from you - you should check it out if you want some inspiration . The staff there might be good to advise you as well, though I can't promise that they would have time to...

Lynne
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 PM

Id love to see more of your illustration work - especially to see your mouse character in context He's looking good.

I feel your pain, Im writing and illustrating a book too (trying) - I have the same problems as I am not a writer - Ive got the story but it needs work....

Good luck x
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Maine

Hails from United States

[quote=babsalaba2]Thanks! The one thing that I hear most often is that publishing houses have their own corral of illustrators which they never ever deviate from. But I think I won't lose anything by not trying. I have a contact in the publishing world already who really likes my artwork; she's been very supportive, so that's a sign of hope.

While it maybe true that publishing houses have a favored few, the illustrators had to come from somewhere. They did not just fall to earth and start illustrating.

So, why not give a shot, and become the next person hired for their talent pool?

I love the little mouse. Will we be seeing more images? I sure hope so.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
A Local Legend
I am lucky enough to live near Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Fault.

Hails from United States

I took a workshop on writing and illustrating children's book at our local community college. What I learned is it takes a lot of work, more than you might expect, and it takes literary and art creativity . . . in other words, you have to be able to write as well as illustrate.

I had hoped that a related group of illustrations or paintings could become the basis for a book, but I am afraid it does not work that way. The book must be built around what will keep the reader's (or the one being read to) attention, making them want to turn each page for the next one. Both story and illustrations must be exquisite to be salable. That said, I hope to do a self-published book for my grandson by the time he is reading.

The internet is brimming with great websites full of information on this market . . . I recommend you spend some time reading what they have to say. The more I studied the deeper it got, into rhythm of the words on each page to tempo to numbers of syllables . . . and then come the illustrations!

It is a worthwhile endeavor to attempt, and I encourage you to at least spend some effort and time checking it out. Remember, however, that original ideas are tantamount, so you may find yourself in the children's section of your library reading like you have never read before and seeing what has been done already . . .

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Blackpool. UK.

Hails from England

Well you can't say this site isn't full of supportive people. I too have written and illustrated a couple of books and am in the process of trying to get them published. It ain't easy. I love the mouse illustration. Please tell me the little guy is only sleeping. lol.
You have an advantage in the fact that you already know someone in publishing so go for it. I'm looking forward to seeing more illustrations as you get them finished.

Bob

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go where they go."- Will Rogers
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM
West Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsalaba2
Here's an example of one of the first sketches. It's watercolor and pen and ink:

I love the mouse sketch!
I am pursuing a career as a children's Book Illustrator, though at the beginning stages.
Check out this womans blog about the road to becoming an Illustrator, it is very inspiring.
Do a search on Holli Conger ( I can't post the link).

John
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2009, 12:24 AM

Hello, not-so-crazy person Babsalaba2. Remember Dr. Seuss? He wrote and drew his own material. Don't be afraid to do it. Just do it. The hard part is getting it seen by a publisher. So finish the book and illustrations and then start the difficult stuff. Good luck.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Oregon, West Coast USA

You're not crazy. I know someone who illustrated/published his own book online and won and Eisner award. The book was picked up by a publisher after that, and went on to win several other awards, also. Check out 'Mom's Cancer'. Just keep moving forward.

--------------------
Laugh when you can
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

I remember seeing this when you started - how is it going?

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Göteborg, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Cool!
The mouse looks great, and if you have the story all done in your head, I'm sure you can do it! I'd like to do the same one day, but I'm not as far in the process as you are.

Keep posting, it would be great to hear how it goes! Or maybe start a blog like Helga´s?

Good luck!
Sofia
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Lelystad, the Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

If you got the complete story in your head then it would be a lot easier. But, writing (and creating stories) is a thing you also have to learn. You won't get there if you just wait until the perfect story suddenly appears, it's all a matter of practice.
So, just start, try to finish it and start again to make a better story. I think that's how you can learn it.