WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2002, 06:23 PM
Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States
Ha! funny you should mention deadlines.
That book project I am working one, well, they dropped a deadline in my lap today, they need basically all of it done by friday. I said I could do it and they came back a little later and said that they actually need twice as much as they had specified earlier. also by friday! Oh well, that is twice as much of my work in print, I better get busy! Thanks for the tip!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2002, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

They must really like your work to want so much of it
Deadlines always seem to work like that- I learned that when I was training to be a writer. That's why you need Everything in writing!
What sort of book is it?
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2002, 12:32 AM
Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States
The book is part of a series of gift books, each directed toward a particular group of ppl. This one is for nurses. I am up to my elbows in medical looks. I am excited about it. At first, I thought I was just going to get to do the cover illustration, but they keep asking me for more and more. I can't wait to see the end product. It will be out in January. I should actually be working on it right now!!!
Thanks for asking! I am not telling any of my family or friends about it until it is out. They will be suprised.

Here is a sample of my work:
Attached Images

#34   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2002, 01:01 AM
Sierra Foothills California

Hails from United States
Smile Great!!!

Your nurse (not in uniform?) looks great!

What a coincidence! Before I got into children's book publishing, I worked as an Art Director for a medical patient education publisher. Your illustration for the nurses audience should be quite successful. Don't forget to detail the hands and fingers a little more for gesture. otherwise, if you get a chance, post more art!

Shari :0) --SWarren
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Louisiana, USA

Hails from United States
Dear Shari,

Thanks, I didn't send a nurse actually, I sent my old friend, my alter ego, Sketch. I have been drawing her for years. Here is one of my other samples, (also not a nurse) With better hands and gesture. Let me know how you like her!

I'm thinking of including her in a submission to a greeting card company.

thanks for taking the time to post!

Misty
Attached Images

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Conway, Arkansas

Hails from United States
Smile My First Post

I have just joined the Wet Canvas Forum. I am already in awe and inspired by all of your works. I am particularly impressed by SWarren's work and helpful hints. I look forward to this adventure. At this time I have nothing to show. I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. I am an unpublished illustrator in a Graphic designers body. Cision Studios is my humble multi-media company consisting of, me. I am currently working on a book, that I will put online and use as my portfolio.
Attached Images

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2002, 09:42 PM

Hails from United States
Smile Cision, you do great stuff!

First of all , thank you for the kind words.

Your "Smilin Guy" looks great. You should put a portfolio together of images similar to this and make a great mailer postcard. Send out to publishers and you'll pick up illustration assignments for sure! Your style has a comic book look to it. You should maybe check out these publishers first, as well as T-Shirt companies. Even toy companies!

Kind regards,
SWarren
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2002, 11:30 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Shari!
I'm taking notes on the advice you are giving others!
Do you think someone who has no college training in art would have any credibility at all with these folks? I'm entirely a self-taught artist, all my college credits are in another field. Do you know of a good online course to help add to one's credibility as an artist?
I have the greatest job for exposure to kids at their squirrelyest- I sub as a special ed paraeducator
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2002, 12:50 PM

Hails from United States
Art and Education

Hiring professionals in publishing (or design studios, ad agencies, etc.) care more about the quality of your illustrations than what college you went to. You are not obligated to submit a resume when querying for illustration assignments. A strong promo and portfolio of your work is usually enough.

I feel the main responsibility of an artist is to make sure that her/his art is the best it can be. Whether you buy some step-by-step books, take a class or two (or three! Taking classes can be addicting!) at your local college, or just spend a lot of time creating. Your illustrations should be polished and as strong as the illustrations you see currently in the marketplace. Also, if you are submitting to children's' book publisher make sure you can draw kids and animals (whatever your style) very well!

When you feel you and your portfolio are ready to submit to companies for illustration assignments, here are the steps I reccomend: (1) Create a fantastic mailer (either a postcard or 8.5" x 11" tear sheet) that really shows off you best image(s), research publishers or other companies that have and might be likely to use your art style and send your promo mailer to the Art Director or appropriate person. (2) Have a website showcasing your work/online portfolio (don't forget to put URL on your mailer).

OK, enough of my preaching...get to work!

Shari aka SWarren

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2002, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice! Ok, I'm scooting over to my workspace right now (provided my young inspiration doesn't decide that mommy needs her company for a bit!)
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2002, 01:05 PM
Conway, Arkansas

Hails from United States
Some Images For Critiquing

Shari Warren,

I appreciate your comments. I designed t-shirts in college. It was a great place to practice and learn about printing methods. Comic books will always have a special place for me (I learned A LOT from them). I have thought about trying the comic route, but I think comic books are dying and I remember the cold rejection letters I got in High School (grudge grudge). Children's books are appealing to me for the educational value. My wife is an Art teacher and I am itching to influence children in some way.
I wanted to take you up on your offer to post some pics (and not bite). These are part of a little book I am writing and illustrating. I hope to use the images to gain some illustration work. As I mentioned before, I am unpublished, so I would enjoy a good critique. Please be honest, I am at a crossroads with my business. I invite critiques from whomever wishes to give one.

These are Pen & Ink and colored in Photoshop with a Wacom Tablet. I have attached a thubmnail of the pictures and links to larger versions.
Image A
Image B
Image C

Thanks Again,
Jeff
Attached Images

Last edited by Cision : 09-17-2002 at 01:39 PM.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2002, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hi Jeff

These are great! I wouldnt think it would take much effort to find a publisher with this work.

Janet
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

I absolutely love them! My daughter can't read, so pictures with alot going on tell the story for her- she'd be gonzo over these
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2002, 10:15 PM

Hails from United States
Great work Cision!

I think you have great illustration skills! Congrats! Keep on building you portfolio with this caliber of images and you'll find illustration work for sure. For the children's market, make sure you vary your subject matterto include, fantasy, home life, school life, etc.

You also might want to try putting some of your line art in color, rather than always black to lighten up the feeling. Just a thought...

SWarren
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 04:11 PM
London, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Smile post my art!!!

in reply to you,

being asked to post some art...

here is a sketch for Cindirella
PLease do send comments and critics my way.
Attached Images

http://www.catherinemarche.com