WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2002, 06:56 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
I'm enjoying Rod's stimulating class notes. Thank you.

That said, I must disagree with your instructor in regards to finding fault in pictures that use a limited value range. I don't think this should be considered a hard rule to follow. Contrast can surely help balance and emphasize a picture, but I think it's also sometimes very challenging to compose it with values that are very close in tone. Contrast can also be more effective if used sparingly. Some mediums, like tempra, seem to force that issue as they don't allow you to get very dark. Also, abstract paintings tend to have more freedom from rules like this.

Another point was made about working on all areas of the painting to make it progress at the same pace. I remember hearing the same instructions when I was in school. Being naturally contrary, I decided to test it. I learned that if made a series of preliminary studies beforehand, I could easily work in any area of the picture I wanted to, finishing it in sections.

My advise would be to make your own experiments to test the rules you hear. You learn better that way.

-David
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 02:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
david you've obviously been painting a while so i'll agree that rules are meant to be broken, but...

when starting out it's best to learn the basics...

as for the working allover vs. finishing a small section at a time, i've seen very few who can pull off the working section at a time, without it becoming apparent...i know a few, but by and large it's easier in the long run to have everything at the same stage of completion
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Smile

Thanks Rod! Great painting/studies, by the way. I need to work on things like this. I read them and think about them, but don't actually plan out or do value studies.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 07:07 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
manhattan,ny

Hails from South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
rod,,,you were successful in creating thumbnails of composition and shadow, but not tonal composition(which i assume is what your instructor meant). if you flip your image upside down you will see that some of your form gets lost. this is because you didn't rectify your tonal problems.

the easy sequence is,,,,,,,

1...compositional ideas

2...choose your favorite

3...tonal composition(where do your dark, middle, and light values go)

4...establish your shadow within the framework of your assigned values.

i took your choice and laid out the sequence. the left image breaks down your tonal(value)composition. the image on the right lays in shadow within the value scale of each form. you get the idea. now your forms are solid. reality always needs some tweaking to eliminate confusion.

note,,,by seeing your values simply, you realize that the thin center shadow was too harsh in your final watercolor.

note, i misaligned your vase and apple. they were too much in line with the cast shadow of the drapes, and thus were flattening your picture. also, you can use the shadow of the window watchmacallits to show the folds in the tablecloth.....milt

Last edited by bruin70 : 08-14-2002 at 07:42 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2002, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
I certainly agree, Arlene, that it's good to know the basics, and though I have been an artist for a long time, I'm still studying the profession every day. I usually tend to rely too much on instinct.

However, I've also taught students, and I learned to be careful with declaring rules for them to follow. I tried to get them to understand the "why" and we usually end up learning new things together.

Nonetheless, Rod's class sounds like a lot of fun!

-David
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Southeast Texas

Hails from United States
Thanks Rod for sharing your class with us. This was most helpful to me. I am getting back to hands-on art after a "time-out," and this is a great lesson !
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2002, 01:51 AM
california

Hails from United States
workshop shared lessons

Thank you Rod, I found your notes and examples very helpful
Kathryn
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2002, 01:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Thanks so much Rod....this thread is so useful to me
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-22-2002, 12:09 PM
halfway between the mountains and the ocean. ok an hour each way in oregon

Hails from United States
hi rod and everyone

thanks for the sharing and the lesson. this is my classroom and y'all are my classmates as far as i am concerned. so i am learning from everyone. i have been painting now for a month or so. so any and all info is greatly welcomed since i cannot afford lessons.

hence thank you for the lessons rod. i am delighted to be part of someone who goes into great detail to explain. and i loved your painting.

matildaberry
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2004, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast
northeast Ohio

Hails from United States
Re: A Tutored Workshop

Rod, thank you so much for this info.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2004, 11:54 AM
North Somerset, England

Hails from England

Thank you for this info, It is VERY inspiring

Crone

http://www.imagepure.com
http://www.imagepure.com/crones_creations/index.html
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2004, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member
Northern California

Hails from United States

Rod-thank you for taking the time to spell out steps with definitions. It really is a help to beginners like me.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2004, 04:49 PM
A WC! Legend
the "Shallow South"

Early in my library/self-taught course in visual art, which has been going on for about 2 years now, I discovered a book which explained the basics of visual art to me, for the first time: Tony Couch, something like _The Keys to Successful Watercolor_.

Artist friends in NYC used to try to explain these things to me, but I just never understood a word until I read that book. First it defines the ELEMENTS of design (similar to the ones Rod enumerated -- value, shape, line, color (hue), etc.), then the PRINCIPLES of design (what to do with those elements -- repetition, balance, harmony, unity, etc.). Even a visual idiot like me can understand what he says.

I have very little natural talent for visual art... When I'm shown something where I'm supposed to be able 'naturally' or intuitively to see: "that's better than this," I get it wrong quite a bit. (Just a few minutes ago I read L. Seiler's thing on composition, and there's a point where apparently most readers know a portrait does or doesn't work, compositionally... well, I just couldn't tell if my eye was 'staying in the picture' or 'being led out of the picture.' )

Nevertheless, I learned a huge amount from the Couch book. By now I've read dozens of books on visual art, but that book is the ONE I'd recommend to any beginner.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Central Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you for taking the time to do this....
the tip on tonal value was most helpful.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom

Rod,

This is fantastic - thank you for sharing!

Alison