WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2002, 05:27 PM
Rod

Cool A Tutored Workshop

Hi Gang,

I went to a tutored workshop today organised by our Rangiora Art Society.

Colin Loose was our tutor.

First he gave us a talk on " The construction of a painting. "

He explained , point, line , shape, space, tone, texture, colour , movement , view points, zoom , and frotage.

One point he did emphasise was tonal value.

He stated that a common fault is that we do not use the full tonal range. Paintings only use the small variation tones either side of the mid tone. So only have a limited range of value.

Must have strong darks and whites.

Then using three objects we had to do 3 to 5 small sketches about 6 by 4 inches showing tone , shadows etc , with different compositions.

Then we chose our favorite and traced it onto our watercolour paper. Then paint using all the points raised regarding tone etc.

My painting took 1 1/2 hours to complete.

It was fun working fast all day.

Rod.

Last edited by Yorky : 07-21-2009 at 02:19 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2002, 06:21 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States
Re: A Tutored Workshop

ok....can you explain each:
point, line , shape, space, tone, texture, colour , movement , view points, zoom , and frotage.

AND
when he says:
" a common fault is that we do not use the full tonal range. Paintings only use the small variation tones either side of the mid tone. So only have a limited range of value"

can we see an example...because when I paint....I feeli like I use a TON of values.....

ok...so I'm trying to get a free workshop

But this sounds like really good stuff.....

pleeeeeeeease

Last edited by Yorky : 07-21-2009 at 02:19 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2002, 08:36 PM
Rod

Cool

ok Pam, stay tuned ,

I'll put some explanations together ,

Rod.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Rod

Cool

Hi Gang,

I'll try to run through the points our tutor explored yesterday at the workshop.

Construction of a Painting

Through all of these points he emphasised variety

Point and Line

Paintings and sketches are made up with points and lines.
dabs and strokes of your brush.
Don't use the same fine lines, always vary the width, strength , angle , make jagged , etc.

Shape and Space

When composing your painting , vary the shapes and sizes also paying attention to the negative spaces, they are just as important.

Tone

Most important to use the full range of tonal values to make your subject pop. The tutor said a common fault was for artists to only use the values around the mid point. This results in a dull lifeless painting.

I have converted the colour image to greyscale so that the tonal values are easier to see.

I have increased the contrast using my image editor to show the difference when all vaues are used from dark to light.

Form

Tone creates form , gradual shading of an object gives it form , shows its roundness .

Texture

Varied textures add interest, dry brush, stippling, splatter, sponge , etc. technique varies with medium used.

Colour

Careful choice of colours, shadows always contain colour, unite the colours by repeating them around the painting.

Movement

Put energy into your painting with your brush strokes.

View points

Observe and sketch your still life objects from different angles, from the front, side, above, looking up. Sketch each one.

Zoom

When you have finished your sketches, sometimes zooming in closer, ( cropping the image) will improve the painting.

Frotage

To add texture to your sketching, place a rough surface under your paper before shading in.

It can be quite effective.

These are not hard and fast rules, but things to think of as we construct our painting.

1. Dry drawing, make several thumbnail sketches of your subject using a pencil, biro, marker . Draw in and shade all the tonal values. Place an arrow at the side of each sketch showing the light source and direction

2. Wet drawing , make a wet sketch using paint, or mixed media
Experiment with colours and strengths to get the correct tonal values.

3. Pick out your favorite composition .
Finished work, paint the full size picture using sketches as a guide.

Hope this helps, Main point is variety, make your paintings interesting and with strength so they are visually exciting,

Rod.

Last edited by Yorky : 07-21-2009 at 02:30 AM.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Thanks so much!! for taking the time to detail the info from the workshop. This is very helpful for beginners like me.

Linda
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2002, 07:32 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
(((((YOU ARE TOO KIND)))))

Thank you so much , Rod....if ever I can repay this effort...you'll be sure to demand it!

This is great stuff...gonna print it out and spend some time with it on the table.

Thanks again...

Pam
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
America

Hails from United States
Mona

Mona reminds me of someone-it's amazing how DaVinci's work almost seems to move.

By the way the pitcher is really nicely painted, Rod
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2002, 09:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
Rod I think i'm going to make this a sticky, cause you basically said it all...great job on your still life too.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2002, 08:06 AM
Rod

Cool

Thankyou Arlene

Some more advice our tutor gave us.

When painting your subject, work in all areas of the painting so they all parts progress at the same pace.

If you concentrate on one section at a time it can give you a fear.

You've finished that one piece to perfection so you worry if the rest will be up to the same standard, this can put you off finishing.

So get the whole painting done in equal stages of completion from start to finish,

Rod.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2002, 11:02 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Arlene or Rod

this thread won't print either in PRINTER FORMAT or like it is

just gives gobblety gook

HELP
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2002, 05:04 AM
Rod

2nd week workshop

Hi Gang,
Last week I told you about the tutored workshop I attended and the instruction we received from our tutor Colin Loose.

At the end of the first session the tutor set us some homework, thought I would share this with you.

We had to compose a still life using three objects with a background, not just white paper behind.
Make sketches in pencil and watercolour to check that we could also use the complete tonal value range from black to white.

So I made up a shadow box setup.
I placed a flat wooden board for the base, propped up a piece of matt board for the back wall.
I wanted the light shining through venetian blinds so I attached a sheet of cardboard with slots cut into it on the left side.
I moved my objects around until I liked the composition then turned off the light and shone my anglepoise lamp through the slotted cardboard.
I moved the light up and down until I was happy with the light patterns and took a photo with my digital camera.

I then printed out the image and drew in the venetians and light bands with a fine marker pen.
Also you will see the one third lines which is a simple way to show the golden section points.

Then I sketched with pencil and experimented with colour, just quick rough sketches to give some ideas and help me to brainstorm ready for todays workshop.

Next stage was to trace this final composition onto my watercolour paper ready to start painting at todays workshop. We limit our workshops to about 12 members. That way the tutor has time to advise all of us several times during the day. You can see my painting started next to my all important flask of coffee

The workshop started at 10am , we painted from 10.30 till 2.30 with a 30 minute break for lunch. I managed to finish my painting within that time , its 14 by 10 inches on Saunders 300gsm "Not" stretched paper.

Rod.

Last edited by Yorky : 07-21-2009 at 02:33 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2002, 06:40 AM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Excellent watercolor Rod. So glad you shared your workshop and your homework with us. Thanks!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2002, 01:32 PM
Cornwall, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Thank you so much Rod for sharing all that information.

Ann
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2002, 04:35 PM
South Florida

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

Rod, Thank you for sharing! Nice work!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Australia

Hails from Australia
Thumbs up

Thanks Rod. Great advice and clear explanations too.

I usually run into trouble with values. Don't quite use a full range. Haven't even gotten into to other elements.

Was going to request this be made a sticky the I read Arlene's post. I'm going to print it - if it works.