WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Baton Rouge

Re: can I get a head count

Please do share here too Stillbill. You're really doing a wonderful job with it
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast
southern california

Hails from United States

I'm a professional illustrator, but I don't do the kind of stuff that most people on this forum do or want to discuss. I'm not into Anime or Fantasy...no monsters or space ships. I've been doing commercial art for over 30 years. Most of what I do for a living is medical or product illustration.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 08:36 PM
A Local Legend
Beijing, China

Hails from United States

Todd I did not realize that their was another medical illustrator on the forum. I have mostly been illustrating science textbooks since I got my degree but loved doing the harder medical stuff for a long time nice to know another is out there. I looked at some of your former post some good stuff.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Baton Rouge

I for one would LOVE to see your work. I wanted to be a medical illustrator when I was in college but due to a personal conflict with the comparative anatomy teacher at my college I was unable to complete the class. I had to let that dream sail, but I still love seeing the work and learning from it.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago

Hails from United States

Cassie, I don't recall ever seeing a "rule" on x posting but I think the general rule of thumb is ...go ahead and do it. I see folks just mention when they are x posting. It is frequent that a piece of art will fall under several criteria, for example the medium AND the subject matter. so you post in both forums to get the reactions, advice and guidance of your peers. you just sometimes have to go to a few places to catch up with those peers. I see nothing wrong with it. (but again, I don't know if there is a formal rule).

Polygon: the goat is awesome! I'll go check out your site! Thanks!

Coyote: I think you are wrong. I think that you are under the impression that it's all about spaceships and monsters. (personally I don't like anime at all) PLEASE don't shy away from showing your work here. I definately would love to see it. I would also love to see botanical illustration, book illustration, anything. bring it on! (and I'm noticing a lot of support here...)

Laughing shoes: thanks, thanks, thanks! I guess its about time I stick my toe in the water. When I start getting into all the nitty gritty can I call on you for advice and with questions?

Last edited by Grunge : 03-19-2007 at 10:56 PM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Sam and Todd, I'd love to see some of your illustrations. One of my career options when I was in high school was to go to U of Toronto and do the Art as applied to Medicine degree (or whatever it's called), although in the end I did a degree in nursing and then later ran a graphic design biz on the side! So I'd love to see some illustrations from the path not taken. Do you guys work digitally?
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago

Hails from United States

polygon: I took a nice long browse through the project. Your art is really fun! besides being cute, the cell phone had a nice semi-subliminal message. Great job!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 01:07 AM
A Local Legend
Beijing, China

Hails from United States

I do not have any of the hardcore medical stuff here with me right now. I used to love to go into the operating room and illustrate surgery but here is some of what I have done.

Now most things are done on computer and I am doing more technical work like this

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Oregon, West Coast USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge
I'm really interested in the whole mug, t-shirt thing. I was thinking about doing some more skateboards. Was it difficult for you to get that ball rolling?
Not very. I worked with a local company that prints 'promotional products'. I don't know how multiple colors would've worked (client had small budget = single color). The promo company told me what they needed for finished size/formatting, and I worked toward that. It was easier than I thought it would be.

I have done color (printed on iron-on transfers, applied by a T-shirt place), but the quality wasn't as nice. Also, it either has to be a block design (think filled canvas) or the negative space around the design MUST be cut away. Otherwise, you get a filmy effect from the 'clear' transfer material . Prints look much better !

Skateboards - now THAT sounds challenging!
Rachel

--------------------
Laugh when you can

Last edited by RachelFlyer : 03-20-2007 at 04:56 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

I just dropped in. I come here from time to time

Regards,

K.Polak
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
southern california

Hails from United States

Nice stuff, Sam. I do lots of hearts, as the company I work for makes pacemakers and defibrillators. I enjoy the patient education pieces...they tend to be more "warm and fuzzy"...and depict what I call "happy grampas"

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelFlyer

Skateboards - now THAT sounds challenging!
Rachel

I've done two so far. One for my son and one for my daughter. In any case, they aren't to difficult to paint. just the same as any other piece of wood. (unless the board has been broken and you have to deal with wood fill and sanding, like my son's) They are basically flat. the challenge would be to market them, I think. and I doubt that many boarders are serious collectors. You just know they will scratch the paint off all to heck.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Hi! Just your friendly neighborhood lurker checking in! I watch this forum, but I don't really post that much since I doodle more than anything else, and I draw in the manga style. I'm still not quite sure as to what I can and cannot post in the illustration section. Hmm... Oh well! It's nice to see so many people here, and I must also say that everything everyone is posting right now looks very good! I look foward to seeing more fantastic work!
(sneaks away like ninja)
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hey Sam and Coyote, thanks for posting your stuff! Sam, what media did you use? The bottom one looks digital- or maybe not, now that I look at the orange portion more closely. Coyote, yours must be coloured pencil? Happy Grampas- har! I know the demographic well...
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowkatt
Hi! Just your friendly neighborhood lurker checking in! I watch this forum, but I don't really post that much since I doodle more than anything else, and I draw in the manga style. I'm still not quite sure as to what I can and cannot post in the illustration section. Hmm... Oh well! It's nice to see so many people here, and I must also say that everything everyone is posting right now looks very good! I look foward to seeing more fantastic work!
(sneaks away like ninja)

I think you'll fit right in here. After all, comics and cartoons are definately illustrations. Show us your stuff...feel free to join in, please!