WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: How long did it take you to complete your "personal best"?
1-2 hours 6 12.00%
3-8 hours 19 38.00%
2-7 days 11 22.00%
2-4 weeks 6 12.00%
More than 1 month 8 16.00%
6 months or more 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States
Question How long did it take to complete your "personal best"?

I'm curious how long it took everyone to complete thier "personal best" work of art in pastels. From conception to signature.

I was reading an article in PJ about Jane Lund. I find it amazing that she can spend months on one of her glorious pastels. The painting of her mothers hands is a good example of time well spent! By taking months, is this diligent daily work, or does she take a break, do something else and come back to it with a fresh spirit? I wonder how many total hours she spent, and how many months until it was completed.

My "personal best" took me about 6 total hours from conception (plein aire) thumbnails, sketch, pastel application, refinement at home, to signature. The six hours were over a period of 2 days. So my answer is 2 days.

How long did you spend on your "personal best" pastel?

Carol
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 03:33 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal
Re: How long did it take to complete your "personal best"?

Hi Carol,

Well, I've started my Harley months ago and still haven't finished it.
It's pretty much close to ending, but I haven't touched it for long time.
In terms of sheer (sp?) working hours, the Bowl of Red Currants took me the most time. I can't say how many hours exactly, but probably between 10 and 15. Probably.....I'm not sure - I don't worry how long a work takes. I just do it.
Some works come out great and are done fast and others come out bad and take time. My work Pop Does the Cork took me about 2 hours (if I remember correctly) and it came out good (so I think).

Kind regards,

José

P.S.

I didn't vote because I didn't agree with your options, since in my opinion you should put everything in hours. Or 2 to 7 days you mean 2x24 working hours to 7x24 working hours ? Because a work can take 7 days and only have 3 working hours.

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.

Last edited by Bringer : 01-06-2007 at 03:36 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

My best work is usually done faster than the ones that took longer because no1. I think I'm more inspired on the best ones
no2. I tend to overwork and ruin potentially good paintings

nana b
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Pullman, Washington

Hails from United States

With my new style, I try to work quick and loose, so mine never take more then 4 to 6 hours. Now the matting, spacers, and framing is a different story!

David

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States

Thanks for your reply Bringer. I wasn't clear in this poll!

This is for your personal best pastel painting. From conception to completion when the signature is applied, how long? (This includes the downtime you aren't actually working on it).

Sometimes, like Nana pointed out, a painting is just clicks, its totally inspired and can be completed in a short span of time.

Sometimes it may take a long time until you feel satisfied that is finished and you place your signature upon it.

I want this to be you personal favorite, or what you consider your best painting.

Carol
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:19 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I didn't vote, because not all my paintings are framed and some sit for a long time in between actual painting time. Also sometimes you just think about it for a considerable amount of time.

When I actually sit to paint, I want to finish in one or two sessions of a couple hours each for an 8 x 10 or so. Larger ones take three or four sessions. Plein air in just a couple of hours, four max. If I work too long on a painting I get bored and loose my enthusiasm.

So the more I like it the faster I get it done. My favorites are an afternoon each.

Jo
Winston Churchill
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada

Difficult question to answer. Sometimes I start several paintings at once; get them drawn, underpainted etc. I find it more relaxing to work on whichever one I feel like doing at any given time (meaning after work and on weekends). Also with oil pastel, sometimes it needs a few days to "set" before you can layer on more colours.
The one I'm working on now I started last June! But I've done, and started, many paintings since. I have another on the go and two more underpainted.

my virtual gallery
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Castillo
I didn't vote, because not all my paintings are framed and some sit for a long time in between actual painting time. Also sometimes you just think about it for a considerable amount of time.

When I actually sit to paint, I want to finish in one or two sessions of a couple hours each for an 8 x 10 or so. Larger ones take three or four sessions. Plein air in just a couple of hours, four max. If I work too long on a painting I get bored and loose my enthusiasm.

So the more I like it the faster I get it done. My favorites are an afternoon each.

Jo

I'm the exact same way.

Paula
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi again,

Ok, I'd say that the work that I think is better succeeded is my Bowl of Red Currants.
I didn't conceive it since it was taken from the RIL - ok...ok....I confess that I work more from photos. Shame on me ! - and I already said how long I took (10 to 15 hours).
I would say that nowadays a work done with care and relativey difficult, and not done exaustly, will take me about two weeks since I also work on other mediums.
I'll vote 2 weeks.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast
Carson City

Hails from United States

Thank you Jose!!!!! Applause, Applause, Applause. Standing Ovation!!!!

Paula and Jo , since you came in and put in your two cents, you gotta pay with a vote!!!

I know you have at least one painting completed with a signature. Think of your most favorite, most special, personal best.

If you don't have a favorite, that's ok, you don't have to vote.

But there just has to be that one special pastel that means more to you than any of the others. Perhaps it was your first, perhaps it was one you painted from a special memory. Perhaps it was a special subject or painted for a special person.

How long did you spend with this special painting before you stuck your signature on it and said....Now I'm finished, and this is my best! ???

Carol
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 11:53 PM

Hails from United States

i don't think anyone cares how long it took me to do my favorite piece. i will say it did take me about 3 days (8hours a day)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2007, 12:23 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I told you I like to work fast. Probably one of my plein air works, City of Rocks is my best. Two hours. So I voted for that. Most probably take a week. Some I couldn't like sat 6 months or were never finished. Ha.

Later,
Jo
Winston Churchill
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2007, 01:37 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Ok. The painting in my signature line is one of my most favorite paintings. It really painted itself and only took about 2 hours.

I like a painting to take between 2 and 4 hours, after that I get frustrated and tend to overwork and over analyze. Therefore I voted 3 - 8 hours.

Paula
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I've painted for some 25 years now. In that time I'd say there are three paintings that I consider to have been my best. My personal favorite of those three was done in about an hour, start to finish, because it was the beginning of something entirely new for me. I set up my 18x24" Wallis paper and just wildly began dashing colors in place to see what would come of it. The result pleased me and the painting ended up getting some big awards, to boot. Nice to have judges agree. It ended up in The Artist's Magazine competition, too.

By the way, the classic answer to 'how long did it take you to do this painting?' is "ALL MY LIFE!" As flippant as that sounds, the answer is pretty accurate. My one-hour painting was the result of hours and hours and hours and hours of loving study, classes, painting, workshops, painting, reading, painting, looking, painting, painting and painting. It came after about 20 years of study. I suspect that any one of us at any time will have that 'one' painting, but now that I can look back as far as I do (gulp!) there sure aren't many that made it to that mythic status of 'best'. I guess it comes down to the idea that you can train even a rat with a certain amount of positive reinforcement. My real successes are very few and far between but I have to say that they make it worth the journey. I guess I'm trainable, if nothing else.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
North West Arkansas

Hails from United States

Quote:
My real successes are very few and far between but I have to say that they make it worth the journey. I guess I'm trainable, if nothing else.

I think that this is what each of us hope and work for. My two personal best, one took less than 45 minutes and the other took more than 3 weeks of daily painting before I was happy with it.

John