WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Walnut Creek, California

Re: Can I ask this? Liquitex vs Golden?

I started with Liquitex as they are available just about anywhere but lately I've been migrating to Golden. I love their fluid acrylics and some of their colors are just too tasty. They seem to handle a bit less "plasticy" in some way, but once I have different brands on my pallet I can't really tell much of a difference. I agree that L has great tubes, you can see what color it is, no matter which way round the tube is in your box/drawer. Lots of info on the tubest too.

I'm very curious to try out their heavy body tubs, but that's a whole other pile of $ to invest and I'm not ready for that.

So, I somewhat prefer golden, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I don't think the price difference is all that much unless one paints in heavy impasto.

Best is probably to buy a couple tubes from different brands and compare, then eventually move to what ever you like best.

Oliver
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

This is very good advice from Oliver.. You can get a set of 6 Golden's for under 20.00 dollars at Michele's, or cheaper on line but the you have to add in shipping. I my self have tried other brands, but have three I like.... The Maimeri Brera brand is my favorite next is Golden's, then Dick Blick's brand. I can use these three together. Yes they cost more, but you don't use as much.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

I can't remember if or when I've used Golden's before, but I have always preferred Liquitex over any other brand that I've tried. I like the fluidity of the paint and it works well with my style. I've probably tried most other types available to me(don't quiz me on this, because I know there are many I may not have heard of or seen) and still like Liquitex, both Basic and the artist's grade.

I will buy other kinds in a pinch, but prefer Liquitex if I can find it or afford it.

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast
Clayton, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacwino
After throwing away hundreds of dollars of dried up paint, over and over again, because I can never get the Golden lids back on QUITE right, I am finished with Golden. I have talked to many people who have had this problem. I don't care how good their paint is at this point.
YES !!!
I've had the same problem with the caps on Goldens' tubes.
They're also so thin, that I've had a couple of them split right in two!
And I thought it was just me!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2006, 07:55 PM

Definitely not just us, Steve. I've talked to other people who hate them for this reason, too. My mom (also a painter) and I discuss it constantly, as she refuses to give up on them.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, I've never had that happen with Golden's. Lucky I guess. Wondering if anyone has emailed them about this??
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Vancouver, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

I have also had the problem with the lids. Thought it was just something I was doing. Quite frustrating! But I do love the texture of Golden paints and use them, along with Kroma, which is a wonderful local brand, made in Vancouver, B.C. It it also 'buttery' and is cheaper than Golden. I think I will gradually move to all Kroma, as my others run out.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

Liquitex is no more likely to harm a painting than any other brand, so if anyone prefers Liquitex, there is no reason to change. I use Golden, Liquitex, and Finity.

Richard
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Owensboro, Ky, USA

Hails from United States

As a hobby and an aside to trying to learn oils I paint gourds... crafty stuff mostly.

If I use Liquitex (Heavy Body) on a gourd and let it dry I can come back and wash it off relatively easily. Just get it wet and rub lightly and it dissolves, even weeks or months later. It's a little harder to wash off after 5 weeks than it is 5 minutes but not as much as you'd think and far from what you'd hope.

The Golden colors though... very quickly they reach a point they won't dissolve. They hold fast until I scratch the surface and let water soak into the gourd, then they loosen and peel off in solid sheets.

I'm not sure what to make of that. I think the Liquitex would peel if it didn't dissolve so quickly, which would suggest that the binder in the Golden paints is superior. Can't say for sure though - it could be the Golden is a sturdier paint but doesn't bond to other materials as well. Probably ought to test that...

Given that it's a hobby I just use it to my advantage. I lay down large patches of color that I'm sure of with the Golden paints and use the Liquitex for areas that I'm more likely to mess up and want to wet/wipe/rework.

Neal
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2006, 07:54 PM

Hails from United States

I've used Liquitex,Golden'W&N Finity,Tri-Art,DaVinci,Old Holland Master Classic,Blick Artist,Lascaux Artist and a few others hear and there and they're all fine paints.I am starting to go with Blick Artist paints (although the line in not as big as some others}.After testing their paints i was supprised at their high quality.....and at a very low price!They worked like any artist quality paint and I think they are the best deal in the industry!What ever colors they dont have I will simply get from one of the other brands.
As for the caps on the Golden paints,I too have had split caps and I've called Golden about this.It seems Golden has changed their tubes (and I think they may have changed tube suppliers) so even though the tubes look the same,the threads on the tubes are not and some of the wrong caps were used.I have 3 different kinds of tube threads in my Golden stock and some caps just don't fit other Golden tubes!!!!!!!

Last edited by chopper1 : 09-17-2006 at 08:44 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 AM
Citrus Heights, CA

Hails from United States

I have also found the Dick Blick brand to be quite nice. The texture is soft and creamy. At the time I ordered mine, they were having a close out sale.(they were changing the look of the tubes.) So at 1.99 a pop, I ordered 38 colors. Some they didn't have in the colors I asked for, so they sent the new ones for the same sale price Dose that rock or what!! Azure
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 AM

I don't know about gourds , but Liquitex literature is trumping how their supposedly superior adhesion and flexibility were selected to paint the Goodyear blimp! (I don't know if Goodyear folks also tried Golden, but I'm surprised they couldn't find a more economical bulk paint for such a big job).

(Dick Blick is certainly inexpensive - probably better than the Utretch Studio line - but I can't help but notice how their 2 oz. Cadmium colors are priced IDENTICAL to their Cadmium HUE colors! Whattzupwiddat?

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

I am not too keen on Dick Blick's acrylics because I have problems with their tubes and their openings. I find the plastic tubes and openings on the Liquitex bottles better for me to handle and store. But, the Dick Blick paint is of pretty good quality.

Blog , Hubpages My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast
Eureka, California

Hails from United States

I like both, I like the texture of liquitex, I like the color of Golden, I also like the texture of Utrecht paint and use that most.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:03 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Liquitex heavy body is my fav, I love it!
Yup, I totally agree with the golden jar lids.
I had never noticed that Golden's colours were better. Now I am curious. There are Golden tubes as well as jars. If I buy Golden, I buy tubes. I thought it was me being lazy with the lids and not that it was a common problem! lol
Is it colour quality those of you who like Golden colours better, or is it colour range (more choices?). Just curious as to the answer. I don't use a lot of colours in my palette so I am more concerned with look and quality than variety of colours available.
Jocelyn