WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 06:32 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Jasons sketches...

Over Christmas I enjoyed time with family, meeting at a common ground in the Green Bay area at my mothers home...my son, his wife and our granddaughter coming up from Chicago.

I had my sketchbook with...bought some Wolff carbon pencils at Jason's recommendation, and did some area sketches...plein air, using a bit of water over them making nice gray value watercolors. In turn, Jason saw some of my BIC ballpoint pen sketches in my sketchbook, where I go over after with watercolor washes. I gave him a pen (a whopping .90 cents about for one of those)...and then he surprises me by sending me these wonderful sketches he's been doing.

Had to share them, as they blew me away...enjoy!!

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 06:36 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States
Re: Jasons sketches...

Here is a closeup of the one Cash drawing...and I think it'll help you appreciate his technique, boldness...confidence. Wonderful...

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Alberta

Hails from Canada

very cool sketches
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:18 AM
Obronek Pohorja

Hails from Slovenia

Larry, these are very good. You've gotta show us more of your son's work, because he is really talented, he is especially skilled in capturing the character of the sitter. I see watrcolors really suit him, the wahes are very loose and confident, the white of the paper is used very skillfully also. For me it is very interesting to look at these, because the style is almost the same as the one I was going for a while back. Then, after I got no progress there, I decided to go in the exact opposite direction: drawing with a brush in the style of the old japanese masters. It can be liberating or immensly frustrating, since you are allowe zero mistakes.
But there is one thing I wanted to ask you: I want to get better at capturing the character of a stitter, so I was wondering how did Jason get so good at it. Are there any specific excercises that can be used to develop these skills, or did they just develop naturally with him. What would be your suggestions?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 09:45 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Blue...

Hiperion...

Jason has mastered watercolors...but then acrylics. With all his abilities and the fact that he has an armlength full of accomplishments from magazine covers...movie works (one with Jennifer Anisten and Vince Vaughn being advertised now to be at theaters soon)... commissions and so forth...he took his portfolio to the Chicago American Art Academy. We encouraged him to give it a shot though other students were much younger and he was 28 years of age. Unfortunately, financially we could in no way help him with tuition.

I don't think he was very confident he'd have much hope getting in, but his mother and I never doubted it. He was given a scholarship in full for his entire four years...though he has to pay some administrative costs.

Thing is...all that to tell you ...the first attitude we must have as artists is one that never believes we have arrived. That there is still more, always more just out of reach.

Jason worked several years with a magazine teaching himself Adobe Photoshop so he could get out of other aspects of the business. He earned the eye of the art director there and when their cartoonist of their last two pages quit and moved, he got a shot. He was a hit...and had two different strips. ONe was called, "Jives and Gaven" and here they are...

He started doing sketches of people around him wanting more and more to get away from a cartoony look of people...though he was very good at capturing their personality. Then he did sketches of people in this ten floor apartment he is living in for a few dollars each, and from there he got a job at Navy Pier in Chicago at a caricature business. There his boss was impressed at his hunger to learn and improve, and there were steps in this business for the sake of speed and getting better he had to learn. Mentored as it were...

Then he paid attention to what caricaturists everywhere were doing. Not just the mall caricaturists, but Six Flags...and beyond to the big dogs like Kruger. Eventually he got some magazine jobs...did a lot of caricatures for knowns like Schwarzenneger...(though this one was not for Arnold..two others were)

He attended a national caricaturist's convention...saw what many bigger names were doing, but then was shocked that many of them had already heard of his name...probably from his covers he did for Cracked magazine. I'll say his reaction to be known was more like dumbfounded!

He has come to be seen favorably by some bigger names...often receives emails from them, including Mad magazine. He has kept a good friendship with Jan Opdebeeck...(worth checking out.. http://www.opdebeeck.com/ )

In my opinion, I'd say though that Jason went thru a bit of turning point when he did this drawing of our granddaughter...his little Beau Beau...as a gift for his wife Kat,

His caricatures are becoming more and more, well... sophisticated...and after this next semester's oil painting at the academy I won't be surprised if he attempts some serious oil portraits.

He began with a hunger to be known and the best in caricature...but I wouldn't be surprised if all this leads to becoming known in class A portraiture.

Thing is...he follows his heart, doors open with opportunities and he's not been hesitant to walk in thru those doors. He has self-imposed ethics based on our common faith regarding those things he will refuse to do...but I believe he's been blessed overflowingly because of it. He is very principled.

So...that is how he has developed in the last ten years of his life. Before that Jason as a youth sketched all the time around the house, sure...saw me working in my studio (though I never pushed him) and I'd like to think might have been influenced by my own work ethic, but he marched to a beat of his own drum. Loved to sketch things like the Star War characters back then...lots of stuff. Now I'd say watching him is like an encouragement to me...spurring me on to keep on keeping on in my older age! hee heeee...

To get better you have to see yourself becoming better. You act in faith upon what at the moment is not...forcing upon yourself situations to draw, accepting opportunities. Jason has been hired out to do wedding receptions and various events where he gets paid one whopping big fee to be there, and is fun for guests to sit and be drawn. One suggestion is to make yourself available for high schools that have post prom parties in their schools....Jason did that once for the high school I teach at. Kids have a blast watching, being made fun of and laughing at the expense of their classmates and friends.

I have a number of articles here in the illustration forum and throughout the community showing Jason's work..and you can click on my profile and my own past threads to find them.

Here is his website, and don't hesitate to say hi to him...!
http://www.jasonseiler.com

take care

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 01-09-2006 at 04:02 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:01 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

One of my biggest blessings was a surprise received at Christmas time...
one of Jason's assignments at the academy was to use acrylics and do a tonal self portrait which he did, but then gave to my wife and I as my Christmas present. I literally cried!!!!

then...in another assignment, and the experience of a young father...he did this whimsical children's book cover of his daughter as a nocturne...

so..one thing to look at too is his willingness to jump around. From caricature to serious portraiture to a whimsical childrens illustration. He finds joy in doing each not sure where the future is directing him still...

Got to tell you just how important it is for him to believe he needs to improve and commit himself at this time to the academy atmosphere. He was offered a job in the midwest for $80,000 per year to do storyboarding.

If you are familiar with advertising and the movie industry, you probably know what storyboarding is. He turned them down though because he wants to finish school.

They appreciated that and respect him for it. Told him they are watching his work and development and the job would be there for him when he finishes his schooling if he is interested!

He was not detracted by such an offer...and remaining focused and determined in the course you go for yourself is important.

Lastly..to make your search easier...here was one assignment, speaking of watercolors.

He was to choose one master artist's work (whatever medium they did it in) and do it as though the master did it in watercolor. He chose a Rockwell painting..and I was blown away by it as was his class....

Good, isn't he?

I've been doing art all my life...and I've accomplished a few things myself...still I find it funny...tickles my spirit, that with this talent of his he yet seeks my input and critique. He wants more than pats on the back...and is never insulted or put off if I see a small thing.

The better you get...the more the "small thing" will matter in stretching yourself to improve....

peace

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 01-09-2006 at 08:15 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:21 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Acadiana

Hails from United States

Larry, it seems that you are triple quadruple (what's next?) blessed!

I certainly enjoyed seeing your son's art. Thanks!

Mary

eBay
Facebook
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Obronek Pohorja

Hails from Slovenia

Larry, thank you for your lenghty inspirational reply although I won't be following the path of a professional artist (I did do some comics and caricatures for some papers back in high school), but I am actually more skilled at the social scineces and am as passionate about them as I am about painting. Would be nice if one day I could combine the two, but you know, you can't have everything.
I actaully checked out Jasons website a few months ago and I simply loved it. I know what you mean when you say that he's moving from simple caricature to more sophisticated stuff.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 12:48 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Mary...

Hey..good for you Hiperion on your directions in Social sciences. I just was reading a bit ago something out of a book, and the author said that freedom "was not following false expectations"

Thus...find your path, be wary that the heart sometimes gets distracted, but once you are sure of your calling/direction...go full blown after it. Entertaining potential distractions leads to those false expectations. Freedom will be known with the joy you experience doing what you know you are supposed to be doing.

peace

Larry
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
Seacoast New Hampshire

Hails from United States

Absolutely tremendous!
Thank you, Larry, for this contribution.
Totally overflowing with inspiration!

Tim
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 12:01 AM
Gainesville, Florida

Hails from United States

OH my word. that is something else. Your son needs to stop in so we can tell him how much we aprechate seeing his work. He is incredably talented and he couldn't have a better mentor than his father to go to for his art work!Can't wait to see some more
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks much!

Jason is a WC member...but his time is so stretched between school, commission work, and his wife and two year old daughter. He rarely stops by now unless I prod him...but I'll mention it to him and perhaps we'll see him pop by. So...with that possibility in mind I best say..."hey kiddo...didn't mean to embarass ya here showing all this stuff off...but it is very good, and yeppers I'm quite proud to see the level of commitment and effort you put into it all...! Sure some of the order of going from this to that might not be spot on...but guess I'm allowed some fuzzies at my age. You worked hard...never quit..and that's the bottom line!" (daaaaahd)

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 01-09-2006 at 04:03 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Atlanta, Ga

Hails from United States

as always, his work is great!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 AM
Japan

Hails from Australia

Hi Larry, howz it goin?

Thanx for the inspiration!

Jason's Art is fantastic!

Keep up the great work guyz!

jsn
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 PM

Wow, those area really nice. Great line work and color.