WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Do you paint to music?
Always 35 38.89%
Never 12 13.33%
Sometimes - if the mood strikes 42 46.67%
Only to drown out the sounds of the family whining! 1 1.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Painting to Music - What do you listen to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyW
Cori has some I've never heard of before, gonna check those out. How bout these, Cori: Dead Can Dance, Loreena MkKennitt, Gjallarhorn, Tin Hat Trio, Hagalaz Runedance, Burd Early, Lisa Gerrard, Mendoza Line, Qntal, Garmarna, Euphoria, Imogen Heap, The Beta Band, Peter Murphy, Gomez....I bet you've heard a few of these.

Love love love Dead Can dance and Imogen Heap (have you heard the new one?) Lorenna McKennitt is Canadian so of course I hear her all the time. A few of the others are ringing bells but can't say I could pinpoint the tunes...I guess I'd better do some iTunes searching

Ya - I love my offbeat indies. You'll find a fair few Canucks in my CD collection. I listen to pretty much anything, but if no one else has heard of it, it's prolly in my faves!

Cam just bought the Arcade Fire album and it is incredible to hear! Highly recommended!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

I like White Stripes. They are cool. Jack Johnson, too.
As for my blues, I like Muddy, Son House, Luther Allison, his son, Bernard, Tab Benoit, Dr. John, BB!!!!, kenny Neal, John Lee, Lightn Hopkins, T Bone Walker (Stormy Monday - THE ultimate song), Herburt Sumlin, HOWLING WOLF, Lonnie Brooks, Albert Collins, ROBERT JOHNSON, ect, ect.
As for Rock: Led Zepplin rules.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2006, 11:23 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Okay Cindy - you are gonna cost me ALOT of money! I am in LOOOVE with Mendoza Line, Gomez and Burd Early!!! Thanks for the reccommendations! I guess us graphics people are alot alike
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I'm probably gonna stick out in the crowd here. I do listen to music when I paint some of the time... and I favor worship music! I love to sing praises to my Creator while I get creative. It just stirs my blood, warms my heart and keeps me dancing and singing along. It keeps my hand loose and free, it lets me relax, sometimes it helps me to concentrate or just let go of all my thoughts and worries to the Lord! I know, I know...you might be casting eyes skyward, but hey--it's me! I just love Jesus so much I want to sing all the time.

Now don't go thinking only of "postitive, encouraging" radio (although I listen to that station! K-LOVE, guess I'm a positive kinda gal) but my favorites are Fernando Ortega (local boy makes good--wonderful pianist and a sweet, sweet vocalist with a heart that just soars), The Kry (from Montreal, got their start here in ABQ and our pastor was a guitarist with them for the first ten years!), Todd Agnew (INCREDIBLE voice), Salvador (Latin contemporary sound), Phil Keaggy (my alltime favorite--amazing guitarist with a diversity of musical styles that is unbelievable. I have one CD of his that has to be about worn out by now that's strictly musical, no vocals, called 'Music to Paint By'. He's also a painter), Steven Curtis Chapman (BIG sound, country-rock fusion, lyrics that can't be beat), Shane and Shane (the most gorgeous voices melting together, with a soul you can't believe).

Anyway I could go on...but won't. Unless there are some here who share my musical tastes I might as well be whistling Dixie.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast
Woodstock, GA, USA

Hails from United States

Well, I have to put my two cents worth in: Elton John (of course -- early and now); Eagles, Travis Tritt, John Michael Montgomery, Celine Dion, Andre Bocelli (spelling?), Shania Twain, Reba McIntyre, Bruce Hornsby, classical of all kinds, and Rascal Flats!!!, Sugarland, Bob Seger, Kenny Chesney, Bon Jovi, Lonestar, Alan Jackson, Meatloaf, Atlanta Rythym Section, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, Faith Hill, Boston (one of my favorites), Vince Gill, Styx, Bette Midler, . . . and then there is my BeeGee's -- have you every painted to the Saturday Night Fever music? Wonderful to get the body moving and the hand swinging around.

I find that I need to have a 5-track CD player loaded with a variety, that way I never get tired of any one genre! Was that a list or what? It is fun to hear what turns others on while they create! And Deborah, I've hear some wonderful worship music, I just have never bought any CD's.

Oh, someone said about painting in the basement and the music is upstairs -- so . . . just turn it up loud enough to hear it -- that is what I do. My husband says when he drives down the street, he can see the windows vibrating and that we could get robbed and I would never know it!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast
Marietta, Georgia

My music depends on my mood. I get on kicks when I only listen to standards. I love Diana Krall and Ella Fitzgerald is my favorite! Then sometimes I get on a Sting kick...I love his music. Sometimes I play music to match the subject I am painting. For example if I am painting a beach scene I'll play some caribbean music or sting's 'The Living Seas' really puts me in an 'ocean' mood. If I am painting a Southwest scene I might play some sw music by Nicholas Gunn or Native American flute music....that really sets the mood and gets me into the painting.
I always have some music playing when I paint!
Karen
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Resting in Peace
Texas

Hails from United States

Deborah- Church music can be very uplifting- but I stick with that on some Sundays LOL... don't get me started singing Amazing Grace- (with Joan Baez).. the only thing our Church congregation can actually sing...

Karen-And native american flute music I LOVE.... or any native american music- my oldest learned to play the flute- I was thrilled- looked forward to lots of beautiful flute music- even put on Jethro Tull for inspiration of something different for her- but she would NEVER practice and now won't play it at all- if I had the skills I would be playing away- can still send chills up the spines of everyone with 'On top of old smokey' on my flutephone....
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

I'm not exactly a religious person but, I find gospel very moving. I love native american everything, music, art, spirituality, the connection with the earth. I find natural music - like the seas, the sounds of nature - Karen reminded me when she was talking of Caribbean music.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Seems I'm not alone! At our church we like it LOUD, so even I can sing... and no one cares cause they can't hear me.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

For someone who cannot carry a note - that would be my perfect way of singing if I have to in public. lol
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Lehigh Valley, PA

Hails from United States

I usually turn on the MP3 player on the computer and set it to random...so I end up listening to a little bit of everything (including some of those mentioned).

~Jessa

Photography: Canon 7D, 18-135 IS, Sigma 17-70
Art: Pastels & Charcoal
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

how fun. A good way to get exposure to different music and develop an electic (sp) taste.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

Wow - what an assortment although I did notice no one mentioned Gregorian chants yet which on occasion I'll listen to, altho it's primarily just to drive my husband a bit nuts.

I went through the CD's in my studio and was somewhat surprised to find the majority of them were by female artists. Not sure why I was surprised, just something I'd never noticed before. Melissa Etheridge (she has such a powerful voice), Jewel, Norah Jones, Dido, Dianna Krall, Jann Arden, Amanda Marshall and one of my all time favs, Sarah McLachlan.

I also love U2 and Phil Collins. Don Henley's voice absolutely makes me melt, I could listen to that voice all day! Another voice that really got to me was Luther Vandross, it's so sad that he's gone. There were also quite a few Big Band compilation cds which are reserved for when I'm really stuck on a painting and just need to let go.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
Calgary, AB

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by purples
Kathy- boy- when I saw that last selection, I just had to go for that one- and that includes the whining pets too LOL....

Linda - LOL. I had to throw that one in because sometimes that's the only thing that works!
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM

I'm all over the place. I love Patestrina but I also listen to what ever in on XM 22 which I think is ??Adult Alternative??--its clean but written by a bunch of 16 - 22 year olds. Don't quite know what is wrong with me.
P