WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2002, 07:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
foothills in california

Hails from Canada
Unhappy

tis a funny thing since the change, my addiction to wc has left me and i have noticed that in the last month we have lost several regular posters whose posts number when added up to over 10,000 posts. some of these were the people that added the most in depth critiquing to the site.
this site works because we post, essentially we are the customer in a way. the feeling of community in the critique forum for me is no longer there. so i feel kinda sad, it is like a friend who i have had lots of contact with is no longer there.

as far as what i think, well i am pretty sure that my humble thoughts are not going to change wc and what is going on here so i will just spend less time here.
i have accepted the things i cannot change...
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 06:02 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by mame
In my experience with beginning, emerging and even some long-time professional artists, one of the greatest "lacks" is speaking coherently and intelligently about one's own work as well as analyzing others'.

Thats me
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 11:49 AM
A Local Legend
Canton, MI USA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by AmyH
these things take time. give it some. you will all get back into your comfort zones soon enough I predict.

amy

A very astute and practical observation! I agree.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 12:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Ocala, Fl. USA

Hails from United States
Yes Cindy, it is and i would have responded with Amys quote, had you not. Thanks Amy.
Cheryl
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 03:35 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:

yeah lets get rid of the pesky visuals, we dont care about no stinkin visuals!

this should be a text only site, we should all just describe our work from now on too. my latest piece looks much like the ghent altar piece, by van eyck, only I think its a tad better.

amy

A favorite tactic of those who find themselves in indefensible situations and want to close down an open rational discussion, is to take a point to an irrational extreme to make the discussion seem irrational. Nice try, but your point fails to coherently address gechkonia's cogent suggestions and and my point about "Cutsy Icons".

One of the most interesting dichotomies in the world of art is how much poor visual design there is in artists literature (brochures) and web sites, by those who profess to be visually astute. Bad taste amazingly can be generated in the name of art as well as in any other field. This site could be improves by following the predicate of Mies Van Der Rohe, the famous architect who said "Less is More" (originally attributed to painter Andrea del Sarto by Robert browning in 1855). A certain level of minimalism would promote efficiency and allow for the sort of site gechkonia speaks of.

I would ask for cogent reasons why these ideas are not valid.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2002, 08:00 PM
A WC! Legend
SF Bay Area

Hails from United States
Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:

yeah lets get rid of the pesky visuals, we dont care about no stinkin visuals!

LOL!!!....Your humor wasn't lost on me, Amy! I can just imagine a digital art forum where you would see only 10001111000001001110's!
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2002, 02:06 AM
A Local Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:
Originally posted by mswaine

A favorite tactic of those who find themselves in indefensible situations and want to close down an open rational discussion, is to take a point to an irrational extreme to make the discussion seem irrational. Nice try, but your point fails to coherently address gechkonia's cogent suggestions and and my point about "Cutsy Icons".

One of the most interesting dichotomies in the world of art is how much poor visual design there is in artists literature (brochures) and web sites, by those who profess to be visually astute. Bad taste amazingly can be generated in the name of art as well as in any other field. This site could be improves by following the predicate of Mies Van Der Rohe, the famous architect who said "Less is More" (originally attributed to painter Andrea del Sarto by Robert browning in 1855). A certain level of minimalism would promote efficiency and allow for the sort of site gechkonia speaks of.

I would ask for cogent reasons why these ideas are not valid.

visual people like visuals.

it makes the site more interseting and entertaining to many people. honeslty, I dont care either way re buttons. seems to me though people are getting rather petty in regards to thier complaints. removing visuals to speed it up for the slowest computer out there is similar to to speaking as simply as possible so no one will have to get out thier dictionary.

thanks for appreciating the humor geck. I'll try to be more dry and stodgey, in keeping with the prefered tone.

amy

Last edited by AmyH : 01-14-2002 at 02:15 AM.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2002, 02:20 AM
Enthusiast
Cleveland, Oh.,USA

Hails from United States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:
I'll try to be more dry and stodgey, in keeping with the prefered tone.

amy

NO! Don't do it! It's a trick!

Gisela

All original art work posted by this artist is protected by copyright and may not be copied or altered in any manner without the written consent of the artist.
Artworks by Gisela Towner
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2002, 07:38 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:

removing visuals to speed it up for the slowest computer out there is similar to to speaking as simply as possible so no one will have to get out thier dictionary.
amy

Again a point taken to the extreme. I am on a cable modem (near T1 Speed) and this site is much slower than other art discussion sites I've frequented. I truly feel for all you fokes with dial up connections. I'm sure the recent downtime for upgrades can be attributed to the slow load time. A balance need be struck between aesthetics and file weight for as traffic builds, wait time will increase. I'd rather see the time spent loading art than icons.

Last edited by mswaine : 01-16-2002 at 07:42 PM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2002, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Cleveland, Oh.,USA

Hails from United States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:

I'd rather see the time spent loading art than icons.

Mswaine -- you can go to 'My Wetcanvas' and edit your options. If you choose to not see peoples tinyheads and signatures, that should help some.

All original art work posted by this artist is protected by copyright and may not be copied or altered in any manner without the written consent of the artist.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2002, 08:16 PM
A Local Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:

Again a point taken to the extreme.

yes, many use this tactic to get points through that are otherwise lost on some people.

I am on a cable modem (near T1 Speed)

I bow to you from my lowly 56k modem. (and to spare you from having to tell me, and everyone else, why I said that, I said it cause I think your a humorless blankity blank.)

and this site is much slower than other art discussion sites I've frequented.

well its the same as any site i have visited, go figure. and I dont find it all that slow. the biggest problem is folks who dont change thier art to a small display dpi, not the buttons. imnsho

I truly feel for all you fokes with dial up connections.

how sweet of ya!

I'm sure the recent downtime for upgrades can be attributed to the slow load time. A balance need be struck between aesthetics and file weight for as traffic builds, wait time will increase. I'd (emphasis added by amyh) rather see the time spent loading art than icons.

well looks like you, and two or three others, out of hundreds of frequent users, feel that way.

I know of probably 40 plus users who enjoy evolving kitty faces and clapping smiley guys, and cute buttons, again, I'm not one of em, I use text myself, but since it appears the majority here do like em, I go along.

amy
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2002, 08:26 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here's what I would do...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gisela

you can go to 'My Wetcanvas' and edit your options. If you choose to not see peoples tinyheads and signatures, that should help some.

Thank you for this information, I'll do that.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2002, 12:04 AM
Phoenix, AZ

Hails from United States
Ahhh great! Please allow me to reiterate my last post - Thank you, Thank you, Thank you - your suggestion to turn off the Signatures and Tinyheads was a great speed boost. Thread View Option should have a prominent explanation of its effect on load time. Again thanks to the genius who thought of this option. Now how do I get rid of the awards, flags and other icons?

Last edited by mswaine : 01-17-2002 at 12:06 AM.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2002, 10:03 AM
Enthusiast
Cleveland, Oh.,USA

Hails from United States
You're very welcome -- I'm glad that worked for you.

Gisela

#75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2002, 01:11 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

mswaine...

i just wanted to point out that cable modems are notorious for becoming bogged down in the traffic of your neighborhood... meaning cable tv traffic, that changes with the time of day. they have a tendency to bog down with too much usage since you and your neighbors are hooked to the same cable line. i don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but you might want to consider that it might be that too. although i'm sure turning off options is helping you, this might still be an issue.

i'm DSL and this site is loading consistantly fast and i admit to being quite often.

anyway, just thought i'd throw that out there as a consideration since you're the first person that i've heard complain about the page loading time.

pax.lori