WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Painting "Over" photographs..

Oh WOW!! Bobbi..

I should have checked your website first. You are actually doing this. Well your images are superb and when I looked at them it was almost physical..
Crushing defeatism has overtaken me..... never will I be so good.... sigh.

Mike Finn
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2004, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Hi Mike!
I have some information somewhere that Golden emailed me about coating inkjet. I can't find it right now, but you can use semi-gloss gel medium in two coats to seal the print.

The work on my website is not painted inkjet. They are all strictly digital. Glad you like them. I painted the digital photo via computer using Photoshop and Painter. I print on the Epson 2200 and they really turn out nice, but I have been wanting to try painting on the inkjet print. Right now, I'm still in the experimental stage.

Keep working at what you are doing, and don't get discouraged.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States

Hi Mike,
I also wanted to do a family portrait to honor my husband's father that passed away and never painted a face before. I haven't tried with acrylic, but I bought some inexpensive colored pencils and took a photo and traced with carbon paper. This gets everything in it's proper place to start. Then I just kept adding layers of dark to light shades. I Don't know if this picture
posted correctly, but here goes
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/i...-_Mom__Dad.jpg
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 PM
Mississippi

Hails from United States

I like your painting. Might we title it, "Not tonight Dear, I have a spitting headache"?

Quote:
I have to wonder why paint a painting so good it looks like a photograph when you have the photograph? If you want to have a larger image of it you could always just enlarge the photograph

1. So you can take out the powerlines when you have no graphics ability.
2. So you can take 10 years off your face.
3. So you can take 10 pounds off your hips.
4. So you can paint the family portrait and leave out Aunt Ethel.
5. To make people go, "Gasp! That looks like a photo! You're good!"
6. Because the frame you got at a garage sale doesn't have glass. (This would be my reason.)
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Ada, OK

Hails from United States

I did not read all the posts in this tread so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes but there is a whole industry out there called "prints to canvas." My dad's best friend has been doing it for 30+ years along side his regular artwork.

Prints to canvas is where someone takes a photograph/poster etc... and applies it to canvas then using various techniques simulates brush strokes to make it look like a painting. Interior designers buy these pieces because they are cheaper than original works.

I know this is not exactly where you are going but I thought I would mention it to show example of how photos are turned into painting.

I don't think it is cheating it is just another artistic expresion. It is definately a better exprsion than what some people try to pass off as art.

Keep working.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Marion, AR

Hails from United States

Hey,
some of your tips got me thinking of one of my college projects that I did a long time ago.
we copies things out of the newspaper, sprayed 'em with some spray and transfered it to my masonite.
i can't remember what chemical it was.
dr.taylor, who is a member of the Delta Artists Society, does photo transfer using a polaroid camera. he just reverses the image, shoot it again with the polaroid and transfers to watercolor paper. to me it looks a little too perfect. he uses watercolors to color the images.
i really want to try it with left overs from polaroids that we have at work, but i rather use them as references.
loretta
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2004, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finn
Hello all...

This is my first post here and hopefully not my last :-)
I am not a painter, I can not draw water from a well, but I have the urge to try..... But I am a Photographer and therefore thought maybe I could use those skills and Photoshop to do the drawing for me.... Then just paint over the printed image with acrylics... Here are my first two efforts, one with a knife and the other with a brush. My main trouble is mixing the colors, but that just takes practice I guess. I also think it maybe considered "cheating" but as they are only for my pleasure I may be able to get away with it :-)

Comments, tips etc are welcome.
Mike Finn
Mike, I really like them...although I am no expert. My favorite is the first. Nice blobs of happy paint. keep it up, kathy
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2004, 06:57 PM
Seattle, Washington, USA

Hails from Colombia

Mike Finn said:
Quote:
I doubt a gallery would hang a painted photo....
I've been working on digital art for some time now and one of the things I've noticed people don't like about the digital prints is that they are missing the hand of the artist. To some degree, I think that was the same problem people had/have with photography (that and that anybody could press the button to take the picture). I'm currently contemplating doing some experimentation with acrylic paint over some of my digital works (abstract photopaintings) that I enlarge on photographic paper. Adding paint would make each print unique and allow me to add a 3rd dimension to the flat surface of paper. I like texture!

With that said, do I need to do anything to protect the photographic paper from the acrylic paints? I've heard talks about sealing the image, but I think that was refering to images printed from a printer. Are the acrylics corrosive to the photographic paper?

terriv said:
Quote:
I'm not sure how she transfered the photo to the canvas but I would like to know.

There is a process called 'giclee' (which is just a fancy gallery name for ink jet prints). Iris and Epson are two companies that have large format printers that you can get digital photographs enlarged onto canvas in a relativelly archival fashion. I say relativelly because I don't think the dyes that they use are archival enough to my taste. That's why I enlarge my photopaintings on photographic paper (Type C print) instead of using some 'archival' printer.
I've seen several galleries sell giclee prints. Some just sell them as mixed media because the artists add a clear gel medium over the print with a palette knife to make them look more like a painting.

The canvas those printers use is a very thin canvas so it can pass through the printer. The printed pieces are pretty fragil. They seem to scratch fairly easily; I've seen a few pieces in galleries where the dye scratched off at the point where the canvas meets the stretcher. If you coat the piece with some medium, I assume that the pieces would be more protected.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by juank1

With that said, do I need to do anything to protect the photographic paper from the acrylic paints? I've heard talks about sealing the image, but I think that was refering to images printed from a printer. Are the acrylics corrosive to the photographic paper?

Juan..

I think a coating of clear gesso or any acrylic medium would be best. Maybe not so much to protect the paper from acrylics which are a little alkaline but to put a "key" to the surface which will more readily hold the paint.

I have moved on from that little experiment and now just paint on blank canvas BUT it was a fabulous way to get started in "real painting"

Mike Finn

Watch Out! there's some nudity about...
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~mikefinn
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2004, 11:38 PM
Seattle, Washington, USA

Hails from Colombia
Arrow Re: Painting "Over" photographs..

Yeah, it is a 'little experiment' but to me it's taken 3 years to try it. The funny thing is that I went from painting to new media to photography back to digital art and now I'm transitioning back to painting. (...maybe that's not funny.) I just finished my first 'actual' painting in 4 years and started my second painting. But in the mean while, I need to try the experiment

I've never heard of it clear gesso before. When you went through the painting over photographs experiment, did you prefer clear gesso or acrylic medium? Was there any acrylic medium you prefered for creating the surface?

Thanks,

Last edited by juank1 : 09-05-2004 at 11:46 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2004, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
I've never heard of it clear gesso before. When you went through the painting over photographs experiment, did you prefer clear gesso or acrylic medium? Was there any acrylic medium you prefered for creating the surface?

Thanks,

I "think" that what is sold as clear gesso is just another name for medium... which is just the binder without the pigment... don't know for sure, but they work just the same. I don't have a preference for brand or type, but painting directly on a glossy print caused the paint to smear too much, a thin coat of medium fixed that. On absorbant paper like watercolour paper (my preference) the medium did a good job of sealing and the brush didn't drag so much. As an aside.... you say you like texture... well try this. Place your photograph on a concrete path or block and tap it with a wooden mallet. Lovely bumps and cracks appear, brush your medium over that and then paint....... Fun Fun Fun

Mike Finn

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Seattle, Washington, USA

Hails from Colombia

Quote:
Place your photograph on a concrete path or block and tap it with a wooden mallet. Lovely bumps and cracks appear, brush your medium over that and then paint.

Ooh, I like the way that sounds! I've always been a little too careful with my prints and never thought about doing that. I must say that I'm going to have to try that.

One more question....did you mount the painted photographs to anything in particular? With my basic prints, I hinged them and matted my work, I've never really got creative with it because I kept trying to keep it museum quality.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Veteran Member
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
One more question....did you mount the painted photographs to anything in particular?

I use foamcore board as a backing, matted and framed without glass. I dont even mount the print to the foamcore.... just the pressure of the frame holds it all well enough. But I am constantly swapping out my pictures from their frames. If I was to sell something then it would be unframed.

Mike Finn

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States

I think it's fine to use your own photos in anyway to create your painting.

Carrie