WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Would you like to have a Marine Art Forum?
Yes: I would like to view and participate in a Marine Art Forum 139 84.24%
No: I don't see the need for such a forum 26 15.76%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 07:04 PM
A Local Legend
New Hampshire

Hails from United States
Re: Poll:Marine Art Forum

Wonderful idea! Please Marty, still post on Acrylics...
-Les

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Cumberland, PA

Hails from United States

A quick question about the Marine Art Forum that's being suggested.

Would it be limited to the world of the fine arts only? (pastels, oils, acrylics, etc.)

I'm a cold glass or stained glass artist. I specialize in jewelry AND mobiles (yes I do still do a few panels -- matter of fact I just finished one that is an undersea desing of my own). Most people walk into my booth at shows just because of my Koi pond mobile.

I'm new to WC and I'm still trying to find my home. The glass forum has so many hot glass members that I feel a little out of place sometimes. My passion and creative soul are driven by the water. My interest in glass stems from the sand on the beach and the way glass often looks like water. Even the name of my studio means "love and peace by the water" so being a part of this forum is of great interest to me.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 01:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Mandurah, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Kerensamere,
I see a Marine art forum being open to all mediums, painted, drawn, photographed, glass, sculpture, digital etc. The emphasis here is on the subject, not the medium, and within the subject there is a very broad range of fields from which to choose - really whatever is on, under, lives in or is adjacent to a marine environment, including the environment (the ocean/sea/estuary/tidal river) itself. Probably most input would come from the traditional "fine" arts but all mediums would be welcome. I personally would find it fascinating to see what works a glass artist can make based on an ocean theme. Which is the point of having a Marine Art forum - everyone with a Marine interest can view and contribute works from many different mediums, mediums they probably would not normally visit. It would be a wonderful way for artists of all persuasions to learn how other artists tackle their subject of interest.
The marine area presents some special problems for artists as it is by nature a very fluid, changing environment and capturing this can be a challenge to the artist. I have seen many queries in other forums on how to paint water or waves, how to present a convincing land/sea or sky/sea interface(how do you get that horizon level for instance, how do you portray convincing foam).
Then there is the big area of the influence of light conditions on the ocean or wave, the colour graduations and textures needed etc etc.
And that is only on the ocean itself. There are many more questions when it comes to ships/boats/yachts/vessels in terms of technical correctness, accuracy in design and placement etc. Lots of things for artists to delve into and pretty fascinating for anyone with a love of the ocean.
Thanks to everyone who has voted so far (yes or no, at least you have voiced an opinion) and to all who have commented, there have been some very enlightening and encouraging comments.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 02:39 AM
A WC! Legend
Kenosha Wi

Hails from Canada

I do a lot of water stuff so I think it would be a good thing you got my yes vote...
Alan
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 10:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I think this is a marvelous idea. I don't do waves or seascapes but....I do boats, underwater inspired work, and things that are nautical. This would definitely be a forum in which I would actively participate. Thank you for suggesting it. The others didn't quite fit what I do.

I vote a big YES.

Diane
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
Prague, Czech republic

Hails from Czech Republic

Vote for YES!
I am mad for seascapes, marinas ... It's a good idea to have special channel only for that subject. I mostly miss most of this beautiful paintings in other threads because I am usually only in watercolor and there is so much ways how to catch beauty of seas and oceans which was visible in Alan's "boat" projet .... so I love to have it all in one place.

Sadly I dont do much seascapes now, because I am busy by commisions, but I am mad sailor and there is nothing best than wind in sails and stars above :-)

My website
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Kansas City, MO

Hails from United States

Marty,

Thanks for the poll. You have my vote. I spent most of my life on the water except for the last 12 years I've landlocked in Kansas City. I paint almost exclusively water, boats and lighthouses, anything to do with the sea. This would be a great source of inspiration for me.
"So I said blue M&M, red M&M ... they all wind up the same color in the end." - Homer Simpson
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Cosmic Evolution

Hails from United States

Bring it on.

Painting waves is something I need help with. I painted land/sea scapes for about a year, and I learned so much from you all here at W.C. I would love to see a special forum for seascapes.
www.mybrushwork.com

*USA~DAVE*

Please support WetCanvas! <---Click Here
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Oregon USA

Hails from United States
Exclamation Re: Poll:Marine Art Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorc
NBrockman will be so disappointed when he sees it's the wrong sort of Marine

Dave

You are too funny---and made me laugh out loud when I read this.

Here's my two doubloons' worth of opinion: This is a great idea that in hindsight seems long overdue. What say ye, matey?

"Whatever you want, give!!"

Photos taken with Minolta Dimage A1 digital.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Mary Esther, Fl.

Hails from United States

Thank you Marty for contacting me, sounds like a great idea!!
I really never gave it much thought but have seen it broken down into seperate catagories of land and sea scapes on other sites.

Looking back at most of my work..it's water related in some way. Not that I post alot of my work here, still I would enjoy seeing and talking about it. And may even post more. thanx Brad
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 12:39 PM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I voted yes. I'll have to get to those docks again. Hey I've just thought, we have canals here, with long boats.

Mikey
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Victoria, B.C.

Hails from Canada

I voted yes, I think it's a great idea.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 07:47 PM
A WC! Legend

I voted yes - I live in a seaside town in Northern Ireland and I think having a Marine Art Forum would be a great idea.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2004, 09:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Cumberland, PA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the positive response Marty! What you invision is exactly what I would like to be a part of. You definately have my vote!

-Kerensamere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C
Hi Kerensamere,
I see a Marine art forum being open to all mediums, painted, drawn, photographed, glass, sculpture, digital etc. The emphasis here is on the subject, not the medium, and within the subject there is a very broad range of fields from which to choose - really whatever is on, under, lives in or is adjacent to a marine environment, including the environment (the ocean/sea/estuary/tidal river) itself. Probably most input would come from the traditional "fine" arts but all mediums would be welcome. I personally would find it fascinating to see what works a glass artist can make based on an ocean theme. Which is the point of having a Marine Art forum - everyone with a Marine interest can view and contribute works from many different mediums, mediums they probably would not normally visit. It would be a wonderful way for artists of all persuasions to learn how other artists tackle their subject of interest.
The marine area presents some special problems for artists as it is by nature a very fluid, changing environment and capturing this can be a challenge to the artist. I have seen many queries in other forums on how to paint water or waves, how to present a convincing land/sea or sky/sea interface(how do you get that horizon level for instance, how do you portray convincing foam).
Then there is the big area of the influence of light conditions on the ocean or wave, the colour graduations and textures needed etc etc.
And that is only on the ocean itself. There are many more questions when it comes to ships/boats/yachts/vessels in terms of technical correctness, accuracy in design and placement etc. Lots of things for artists to delve into and pretty fascinating for anyone with a love of the ocean.
Thanks to everyone who has voted so far (yes or no, at least you have voiced an opinion) and to all who have commented, there have been some very enlightening and encouraging comments.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2004, 09:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Thanks for the PM Marty. I voted yes .... I need lots of help with painting waves and water and I think a Marine forum would be great.