WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Immortalized

Hails from Philippines
Re: New forum layout

ONE CLICK AWAY

Pretty much that is the major inconvenience we're all talking about. We're all use to utilizing every microsecond of our time, which yes I understand is precious, but all that great WC info and MORE, is really just...

ONE CLICK AWAY

Try out the new profile pages on our names...
Even though an open thread no longer has that direct "new art" effect, it really has a great deal of more effectiveness for us to post multiple images.

Now you'll be able to see thumbnails of WIPs, much like an illustrated cookbook recipe, and clicking them will give you an uncluttered vision of the final piece...

Change is good, it keeps us from getting complacent or lulling ourselves to sleep. Personally I like "working" for my WC nuggets of art gold...

and now I am stepping off the soapbox

B bby
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 07:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States

I am finding so many new things! I love that I can view new posts to threads right in my email notification - and when viewing a post, there is the fly-out without actually going into the thread itself - really makes for quick viewing!

I did find a bug on trying to enter the Projects page - I was not able to log in there (I kept getting an error message). I was, however, able to log in on the front page and then view the Projects.

Thanks Scott for all your hard work!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Immortalized
Oklahoma, the land of flying roofs

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmum
Jaytee went to alot of trouble having Wetcanvas badges made for us, to raise funds for the site. Nobody will want to buy an out of date badge, now, will they?

Note that I don't begrudge the money I paid for my WC! badge in the summer, I just hope that Jaytee has covered all costs from the sales she made, and has enough left over for a donation.

And I fully understand that this site is about much more than painting, now, and the name should reflect that.

Ruth
from Hereford, England, NOT Hereford, Texas

I agree. Also a lot of effort has gone into identifying ourselves as Wet Canvas artist on ebay with the 4WC logo. I have customers that have found me that way and they were not fellow WC'rs.
Scott, please reconsider the name change?
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 07:58 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Well for some strange reason I still can't stay logged in. Even tho' I went to Scotts sticky for login problems and followed all the instructions to the T......it wont work for me
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Immortalized
Outside The Box that is Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Sorry Scott but I must say I really, really dislike this new version of Wet Canvas!!! I belong to a couple of other boards and they use “vBulletin Version 3.something”as well…. I really enjoyed the contrast in coming to Wet Canvas to a board that was simple to use, fast loading(takes 10 x longer now ) and aesthetically pleasing…not anymore it isnt

I think the new version is far less user friendly and doesn’t look as good either…I think the programers get carried away with millions of features that they forget functionality!! I wont leave but I wont be as happy using it anymore….
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 09:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
NYC

Hails from United States

I will miss the name WetCanvas. Although it doesn't 'reflect' all the artists on this site, it has a certain artsy ring to it.

Last edited by busy91 : 01-06-2004 at 09:26 AM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1chameleon
Sorry Scott but I must say I really, really dislike this new version of Wet Canvas!!! I belong to a couple of other boards and they use “vBulletin Version 3.something”as well…. I really enjoyed the contrast in coming to Wet Canvas to a board that was simple to use, fast loading(takes 10 x longer now ) and aesthetically pleasing…not anymore it isnt

I think the new version is far less user friendly and doesn’t look as good either…I think the programers get carried away with millions of features that they forget functionality!! I wont leave but I wont be as happy using it anymore….

Scott, I really have to agree with chameleon. I am on high speed. WC really was one light touch away from everything before and now the forum jumps are draaaaaaaaagging. I am waiting now. Don't like that.

Just give us the time and we'll figure out how long it was from the last post. I can't find a lot of things and I feel like someone came in and messed up my home while I was away. Hahaha Sorry, but I like the old format and I wish it was back.

I do appreciate the work, but sometimes the phrase is best "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Renee
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:01 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

CHANGE IS GOOD and inevitable lol! I like the new site....and LOVE the thumbnails...I can keep the large image up when I answer and not have to scroll or go back to see it. I like artistnation...tho I like WC too, but this is turning into something bigger than just a little artist site, like Scott said and this new name is something that's going to stand out on searches. Those WC pins are going to turn into collector's items btw! I'm amazed that this many changes could be done so quickly...great job, Scott and sometimes I wonder...do you ever have time to paint anymore???

Charter Member of Silver Chord Art Guild
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:03 AM
A Local Legend
Gainesville, MO

Hails from United States

I just want to thank you again, Scott.. you and everyone who is helping you on this stuff. I know that an enormous amount of work and time must be involved, and we DO appreciate it.

I wish I could give you a cyber-backrub to work out all those kinks you probably have from hunching over the computer so much.

I look forward to seeing how things go as you work out the kinks. That was really nice of you to bring the site back up so fast! I hardly knew what to do with myself yesterday. (Instead of playing with my WC! buddies, I cleaned house and paid bills. My hubby was scratching his head for sure! )

Helen ...heading off to explore the new WC some more....

PS: uh oh.. The Reply won't work anymore on webtv (which is what I use in the mornings while I'm having my coffee.) I had to drag my lazy self into the office to use the computer. I hope that can be fixed! I'd really miss being able to join in from the comfort of my living room.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
South Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Exclamation Re: New forum layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rando
I agree. Also a lot of effort has gone into identifying ourselves as Wet Canvas artist on ebay with the 4WC logo. I have customers that have found me that way and they were not fellow WC'rs.
Scott, please reconsider the name change?

You could always say ...formerly Wet Canvas or formerly WC or whatever

Celebs do
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:17 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom

I love those thumbnails as well! This way we seem to be able to see bigger images! I also like the short message contents when you move your mouse over a thread, and the contents in email reminders. Great improvements!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I think the changes are fine except for the fact that it's soooo slow now. I used to be able to zip through the posts, and now it seems to take so long to bring a new page up, and to load the image after clicking on the thumbnail.

And maybe it's a bit too early in the morning for me and I'm just not seeing it, but how do I get to edit my web site. It used to be under my WC! but I don't see it there. Has it moved or am I just blind? (the latter being entirely possible LOL!!)

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Coventry CT

Hails from United States

I like the color changes, but the site is soooo slow now. Also, I think you should be able to pick which sort of image you would like, either thumbnails, or the size you chose right on the post. I look at the show and tell's everyday, and they're just not popping out anymore. I think you will find a lot of flameworkers feel that way about the images. Just my opinion though.
Jen
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfindsct
I like the color changes, but the site is soooo slow now. Also, I think you should be able to pick which sort of image you would like, either thumbnails, or the size you chose right on the post. I look at the show and tell's everyday, and they're just not popping out anymore. I think you will find a lot of flameworkers feel that way about the images. Just my opinion though.
Jen

It's so slow I'm just reading the text in my email notifications and not bothering to access WC!

Doug
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2004, 10:53 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Thanks for the comments, all. A few quick notes:

1) The things we had before (flags, spellcheck, medals, etc) have not gone away, just on vacation.

2) The site is getting overwhelmed right now, during the time we do our daily backup - that is part of the issue re: speed.

3) Re: changing the name. Yes, WC sounds cool, but we are much more than a site for painters now, and in order to attract more paying sponsors, the name change makes sense. The change will span the course of many months ... not an overnight thing.

4) Finally, re: the style of the site. As I've said repeatedly (lol), the final style is not in. I chose to go with the out-of-the-box style (temporarily) in order to bring the boards back up as quickly as possible, otherwise, the downtime would have been much more considerable. Finally, recognize that we can't please everyone. For every email or post I see complaining about the new style, I see one where someone thinks its a marked improvement. It will be this way no matter what the final style looks like - FYI.

Cheers.
Scott