WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 07:33 AM
A WC! Legend
North Yorkshire (James Herriot territory)

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: *** Daily Wash Saturday 8th June 2019 ***

Watching Trooping of the Colour,excellent stuff...believe also YouTube this year.

Geoff
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 07:46 AM
WC! Guide
Llangarron Herefordshire UK

Bill - thatís a lovely view.

Mike
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 08:02 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Good Morning! It's sunny, warm and windy. We are expecting it to warm up to 26C by this afternoon.

I do need to get some groceries and, of course, since it's the weekend, the laundry is on the list of chores.

Our Queen is celebrating another event of her Birthday, Trooping of the Colour. This 93 year old Monarch is an amazing woman. I did notice that Prince Philip was nowhere to be seen during the Presidential visit. I wonder if his health is failing.

Nancy, your miniature work is always astounding. I'm sure that it's even more amazing to see in real life.

JJ, your knitted arm warmers are a pretty colour! No one will notice your stitch mistakes.

Hi Doug.

Geoff, you do seem to finally get a good night's rest after several fitful ones.

Speaking of rain... last night's news reported that our Great Lakes will not peak until late July or early August. Our little lake is fed by underground streams from Lake Huron... meaning, our water will continue to rise for at least another couple of months.

The flooding in the South of the U.S. is jeopardizing the production of food. We should sure be aware that the cost of everything will rise since farmers cannot plant their crops. There'll be no food raised for the animals that go on our tables, also. Not only are people losing their homes, but their means of supporting themselves also.

Well... that was a downer. Scroll on. Sorry.

Annie, I've been thinking about hauling out my sewing machine as well. I can't find tops that I prefer, so I think I'll make a few. And maybe some lightweight capris.

((Mike)) Keep those feet elevated!

Sylvia, our chicken has been noshing on my swiss chard. I placed plastic domes over my plants to protect them. Ted made several by cutting the tops from big blue water bottles that we collected from the transfer station. Holes punched in the tops (former bottoms) of the bottles allow for airflow and prevents overheating. The chard loves life in the little mini greenhouses!

That's really a beautiful view, Bill!

Lulu

Steve, thank goodness Lisa is beginning to improve. It's sure been a scary time for you guys. People are beginning to acknowledge Climate Change. But now, they are unwilling to do what it takes to prevent further damage to our planet.

And now, the stress of trying to get my post to get posted! I don't know how we ever lived without internet. We did. And it didn't bother us much. But now...

Have a great day, everyone!!!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 08:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Ontario, West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

Good Morning!!

Absolutely gorgeous day!! Bright sunshine, not too hot and little humidity, a high of 23C.

The various performances at Ava's dance school were very nice and creative but VERY long, total 37 performances, Ava was in two of them. Last year we skipped out after the intermission but this year she was in one performance before and one after the intermission so we had to stay

Table tennis this morning and probably gardening in the afternoon.

Bill, what a lovely place you have

re sewing clothes - I enjoy doing it but at this point I will only sew something particular that I really want but nobody is selling it because the fabric is way more expensive than what it costs me to buy something at places like Walmart. I can buy a lovely blouse for $ 14, would cost me twice as much for the material alone.

Mike, so sorry your feet are bothering you so much.

Lynn did you try a nice hot bath with Epsom salt??

Nancy, exquisite work!!!

Steve, I am sooooo glad Lisa's back is coming along nicely, hope the hip follows That's a lot of rain.

Oh Sylvia, how frustrating

Doug, but you are having fun and you will play brilliantly next time

to you Geoff, Annie, Lulu and JJ and all yet to come and I wish us all a really good day!!

P.S. Char, but now we are on the information highway and we have friends that need to be communicated with all over the world and a Good Morning to you!!!

Uschi

Last edited by Uschi : 06-08-2019 at 08:17 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Bill what a lovely photo of a lovely property!!

Steve Thank you. Glad Lisa is doing better by day. I feel for her, a lot of us know her hip pain.

Char thank you, and you are right, nobody but me will notice. They are all sewn up and ready to wear, and guess what. The rain warmed things up and they are too warm at present

Uschi, you are so right, material cost a bomb, and sadly it is way cheaper to buy clothes, unless they are evening clothes.

I have just finished watching the Holiday for the umpteenth time, and I cry everytime.. I'm such a romantic.

Night all.....
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 09:11 AM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Monarch is an amazing woman. I did notice that Prince Philip was nowhere to be seen during the Presidential visit. I wonder if his health is failing.

No, he has stepped down from all official duties and no longer appears at other than weddings and funerals.......he is,I think, 98 this coming week.

geoff
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Immortalized
Plano, Texas

Hails from United States

Good morning from sunny and hot North Texas. We only had a few storms since the rain went up to Steveís area. Sunday, we will be in for bad weather again due to a cold front.

Thanks for your comments on my cafe. I finished a tree and elephant ear plant last night. Today I have to make some mini ivy and planter boxes to define the cafe from the sidewalk. Then get the tables and chairs and all the extra decorations finished. Project after that will be a nursery scene for a little boy for our niece who is expecting in September.

Mike, keep your feet up and enjoy the game.

Bill, The view is beautiful from your half bath. I cannot wait to see the backyard gardens. Your hard work is paying off.

Steve, We have had a breather from the rains. Our lakes are overflowing, and our house sits high, too! If my house floods, it is time to build an ark!

Char, I totally agree with your synopsis of the weather, rain, and prices. We noticed that the restaurants are already cutting down in the serving portions not to raise prices. At least, the Mexican tariffs were not enacted.

Uschi, I was tempted to start sewing again, but the cloth for sale is of a cheaper grade than that used in Walmart clothing and costs more than you can buy the finished garment.

Lulu, You are too funny this morning!

JJ, I could not see the mistakes in your arm warmers. I think they turned out cute.

Doug, I love my Apple Watch. It alerts me when I have an e-mail, text, or phone call. I cannot hear my phone ring when it is in my purse, so at one glance I can tell who is calling. I can also not accept the phone call from an unknown number.

Have a great day! Time for me to go eat breakfast.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 09:33 AM
A Local Legend
Northeastern Ont

Hails from Canada

everyone,
It is sunny and going to be 29 today and tomorrow! I wanted spring, not summer yet.

I planted about 2/3 of my annuals yesterday and was overheating at 22. I might do some more this evening when I get back. Iíve only got a minute. We have to pack the truck and head out shortly to the scarf dyeing workshop Iím teaching an hour away. We are missing garage sales to go to it.

Iíll check back in to see how your day was later.

www.ellenspalette.com
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

Swiss chard is replanted and fully fenced top to bottom and sides now. When the finches start coming around (when the leaves are bigger), we'll cover it with a net too. I have a little tomato on my Early Girl tomatoes.

Bill, Lovely view out your window.

Good suggestion re mini-green houses on your chard, Char. I hope you get the new computer line buried in the ground soon so your reception of the signal is stronger and you can be here (and elsewhere) whenever you want to be.

We are so happy for Kari getting a place. It isn't exactly what they wanted, but the way things were going in their search, they grabbed it. Everyplace they went to see, there were 8 to 10 other couples there or arriving while they were looking. Now with the damage from the tornadoes a week or so ago, even more people will be looking for rentals. Over 600 homes and apartment buildings were declared totally uninhabitable or repairable. Lots of displaced families. It is heartbreaking.

to all again.

SYL,

Sylvia
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 10:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Lovely sunny day here, the lawn guys are roaring away out there and it feels like summer! I plan to get my joints moving in a walk down to pick up my repaired vacuum attachment....and maybe an ice cream cone I've found that Kawartha dairy ice cream suits me, they use mostly real cream, and our local bulk sales store sells it. Moose tracks is my favourite (vanilla, chocolate pieces and small peanut butter cups )

Still aching but feeling better mentally, it's just a darn nuisance Luckily I have been mousing with my left hand for years, but can't use the sewing machine at all. Perhaps some hand sewing, will try that today.

Thanks Steve, Sylvia, JJ!

Trust Lulu, thanks for the chuckle

Beautiful rhodos, Bill, so nice to see. Have not been able to get out to the Botanical Gardens here this year, they have many. We had a garden full in West Vancouver, many years ago...Ö

Uschi, if I could get out of the bath again, I would Would love one of those walk-in ones. But I have a nice over the shoulder heating pad that provides some relief, and mostly it is not painful unless I try to use it. I understand about the performances. I escaped two weekends ago, although I would have loved to go (for GD's part anyway), but had an iffy tummy.

I have yards of quality fabric from the FashionFabricsClub, very reasonable price, but usually not the desire to sew modern clothes. But I just downloaded a free pattern from the Fabric Store for a lovely tailored shirt, and have the linen to make it, so, after the sundress for GGD, the costume for a Westfield volunteer, and after my shoulder is better, that may happen Too bad we are not closer, Uschi, Nancy and Char, I could give you some fabric

Good luck with your workshop, Ellen!

Hi Geoff, Mike, Doug and all to come!

"Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Evening all. Iíve had a very busy weekend so far. Iíd planned to start the Open Studio Tour last night as some studios were, for the first time, opening on the Friday evening. I did manage to get to 2, including my friend's, but just as we were getting ready I had a phone call. I think I already mentioned that I remain close to YS's first girl friend (FGF). Her husband was ringing to ask if I could go and babysit their 2 year old as he was taking her and their baby to A&E (Emergency Room in US speak?). She had a terrible migraine and numbness in her arm. They wanted to keep her in but because the baby is breastfed she wanted to go home. Her dad relieved me at 10pm and she messaged today to say they got home at 1.30am. I'll see her tomorrow and find out more, and I might ring tonight.

Today we hit the Open Studio Trail again and enjoyed it despite the constant rain. Itís fascinating to see other artists' working spaces. Mine is the kitchen island, so very temporary. YS has a lovely garden room in his new house but he wonít let me have it. Kids, huh!

After a quick lunch I headed out into the rain again to the ukulele strum-along. There's some camera phone video on Facebook if you scroll down a bit.

https://m.facebook.com/SummerStrumHoylake/

Iíve posted it especially for Uschi. Iím a Facebook refusenik but I was able to view it. The event was led by a Liverpool based band, The D'Ukes of Hazzard.

I'm quite tired now.

Bill, loved the photo. We have several open fireplaces but are no longer allowed to burn coal. Instead we have "nuggets" a smokeless fuel. We also have central heating but the fire is useful if it breaks down or if thereís a power cut.

Nancy, your miniature work is truly lovely.

Char, as Geoff said, the Duke of Edinburgh is retired.

Now Iíve forgotten what everyone else said, but cheers to all.

QS
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

Good morning everryone - we got a bit of rain (welcome) yesterday, but not enough for my rain gauge to measure. It has cooled down quite a bit, so much that I put my fireplace on for a while yesterday.

I am just resting after weeding one of our small flower garden beds - I just can't bend over for long, so lots of straightening up. At least the bunnies will have a feast.

Good mama hen who adopted the rejected chick has adopted the latest batch of incubator chicks, even though they are younger than her first one. For the first few days she was run ragged taking 1st chick out then hurrying back when the other chicks peeped. They're big enough she is now able to take them all out.

And super turkey (the black one who wintered with us then took off) has at least 3 chicks, but she hasn't brought them here.

Take care everyone. etty
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 02:26 PM
A WC! Legend

Rain now stopped.

geoff
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 05:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Ontario, West of Toronto

Hails from Canada

Good Afternoon!!

and what a gorgeous one it is. Temperature is absolutely perfect for me.

I went to Goodness Me for some organic vegetables and this young man approached me saying "I know you" and I was just about to say I didn't know him when suddenly I recognized him, he was my daughter's first serious boyfriend and I hadn't seen him in almost 40 years. At the time I made him an applique tea cozy and he told me he still uses it every day. Lovely man, but then I always did like him.

I played a bit of table tennis, changed the bed linen and washed it and did a fair bit of sitting outside.

QS, I watched some of the previous festivities on YouTube, I would love to participate in something like that. There would even be a reason for me to learn to play an instrument - the Ukulele Thanks for the link!!!

Betty, I love to read your farm stories

Lynn, oh my, you just reminded me that I actually have a bag full of materials down in the basement. Maybe I need to look inside to be inspired Hope your walk was nice!!

Sylvia, yes, Kari got it in the nick of time

and yes, the Queen is really quite amazing!!

to ALL!!

Uschi

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2019, 07:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Hiya! Dinner's been had. Ted actually had an appetite today which pleases me to no end. His illness consumes a LOT of calories and he's frightfully thin. Anyway, he wanted tacos (which I despise) and was able to enjoy two really big helpings. I pureed carrots, celery, onions and garlic and added that to the sauteing meat. The vegetables melted into the sauce and he never knew that I added nutrition to his meal.

I put all my paint cans and tools away, carrying them down to the basement to be stored in the old kitchen cupboards. Our municipality has ONE day per year when we can dispose of toxic materials. So, unless the paint is completely dry in the cans, we have to wait until September to take them to the transfer station.

I watered all the porch plants and my herb garden. We set the sprinklers to water everything out back. I know, I know... it's been raining nearly every day down here, but living on a gravel pit means that it drains away for the most part.

I enjoyed sitting out on the back deck while Ted napped. It was really breezy, though. The lawn is littered with tulip tree leaves that've come down for some reason.

Uschi, I always liked your cotton Capri pants. They look cool and comfortable.

Congratulations to Kari and her family, Sylvia. It seems like she's found her new home not a moment too soon.

Lynn and Uschi... all my fabric was ruined when our basement flooded. It's shocking how much it costs to buy just a few metres.

Betty, my Army Son has just found a farmer who's selling organic chicken and duck eggs for only $5 a dozen.

With the breeze settling down, there won't be any air holes in the tree foliage... so I'd better post this while I can.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies