WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Oil-from-life challenge, April 2019: optional plein air theme!

thank you! i hope your cold has surrendered? spathe and spadix. i looked them up to be able to say the words 😑. callas are wonderful!

forgot once again to answer, the brown stripes are the driveway, tire tracks or indentations.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 AM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States

I see the tire tracks, Ronsu, crisscrossing with the shadows. It’s a wonderful effect and definitely works.

Here is the next version of the calla lilies. It’s sketchy, but I’m probably calling it finished. I bought some anemones, which beckon to be painted. I now see why flowers have intrigued painters for many centuries...

“Calla Lilies on the Windowsill,” 10”x12”.

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, all! I'm feeling a little better today. Probably won't get outside to paint, but I'll do some drawing indoors or something.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Holly, now it's a different story, good to see the stages! you make it look easy, shaping the flowers with every fold tapered realistically. that is a difficult shape to paint. i want to lift the bright edge of the flower to see how you brushed the dark in below 😀. anemones are in my top five faves, looking forward to your next one!
what kind of brushes do you prefer for this kind of work? i'm unhappy with my R&Co ivories atm, i feel the brush more than i feel the paint and would like to tip the balance, explore softer brushes.

Grotius sending you good health vibes, hope you got to sleep ok? what kind of brushes do you prefer for plein air/portraits and why? is it eclipse or evergreen you have?

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States

Thanks, Ronsu! Actually, I’ve been mostly using R&Co’s ivories in several different shapes and sizes. I just started using them fairly recently. I was using the Princeton Aspens, which are similar, but I like Rosemary’s better. Sometimes I use hogs hair, depending on the surface but almost nothing softer. I have one evergreen, and I’m starting to like it too, but I think it’s even stiffer than the ivory. Is an eclipse softer?

Here are the anemones, and the painting has to be called finished as the front anemone just gave up the ghost, although I suppose I could fix other things... The colors aren’t quite right in the photo, but you get the idea. “Three Red Anemones,” 12”x12”.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 03:37 AM
Enthusiast

Cool Re: Oil-from-life challenge, April 2019: optional plein air theme!

the colors are wonderful, the teal cutting the sugar, uniting the canvas, the beige framing the whole thing gently. those are beautiful reds and your brushwork (esp in the flowers) is an inspiration. the petals look the way they feel. oh i miss these. so much. it is april so maybe this year i'll.. make the hare happy.

the evergreens do feel softer, i'm puzzled. i've two filberts, 0 and 5. you now have me wondering if i've washed the ivories properly! when they arrived i remember washing 2-3 straight away, but the remembering stops there. my eclipse is 2/0 for detail and i've ruined it already. it is the softest of the three.

Grotius, hope you're feeling better!

this is quick palette cleaning.
following Klahn and Kahn, thinking of space with very little success. painted at dusk, i always find myself painting in the dark to the point where i've begun to look for some esoteric reason for it. (=values!)

palette cleaning, one hour sketch, through the window, oil on paper 18x24cm
Name:  20190408_095420-1.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  150.6 KB

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

cleaning contd. (too windy outside.)
though the most challenging hour shadow-wise, this turned out ok. next step would be to draw the black up& the ochre down. instead i'll eat, rest, and try two more if i manage. it's a make-do mussini marathon.😃
Name:  20190408_165812-1.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  96.6 KB

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Enthusiast

Holly, I confess I wasn't familiar with red anemones until I saw your gorgeous painting, so I did some googling to educate myself. You seem to have captured their essence well! I'm curious - what red paint did you use?

Ronsu, your "palette cleaning" paintings look better than many of my finished studio works! As with Holly, I'm curious about your choice of color, but in your case the lovely aqua blues in both paintings.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Enthusiast

thank you so much! maybe i should try a portrait from life then we'll compare 😂.
it seems the mussini strategy is taking place: the blue is 'transparent cyan' PB 15:3 and you can't find it in rembrandt. correct me if i'm wrong but i think their closest is PB15, (manganese phthalo, two other dark ones). do you have that? while powerful it just does not compare. mussini is very finely ground and this pigment changes a bit with grind. i have to add that i sacrificed my good white, L&B fine, ti-zi from the discontinued series. it is undoubtedly part of the reason the blue is like a universe. in rembrandt company it takes toning down not to steal the show, but it's the standard blue, great mixer.

managed one more but it turned to pure abstraction. it's fun but takes forever to conclude. everywhere is small sheets of paper with a thick layer of wet paint, que ominous music.

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States

Ronsu, I love these palette cleaning paintings, and I assume they are of the same scene through the window? Even so, they have completely different characters. The first does remind me of Wolf Kahn. I saw one of his recently at the Portland Art Museum. I love the abstract quality of both of yours and the brush work, and the colors are wonderful, especially in the dusk one. What a super way to clean your palette!

Thanks, Geoff and Ronsu, for your comments! I didn't know what anemones were either. We have a floral shop on campus where students take floral design courses, and a woman in the shop showed them to me. She said they don't often have them. There were other colors, but I went for the red ones. For the red of the flowers, I was mainly using scarlet lake (a Michael Harding color), cadmium red light, and something called madder lake extra deep--an Old Holland paint color I've been using as sort of a substitution for alizarin crimson. I'm sure something else got in there as well, but those were the main three.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

thank you! yes it's the same, quite uninteresting view and i've painted it a dozen times before. the light makes it interesting in many different ways, but i need more practise to do that justice. the changes are really rapid. speed painting teaches how you work, what you're drawn to, how you function, and it exposes flaws efficiently.

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:58 AM
Enthusiast

I’ve been slowed down by back pain the past week or so, but I managed to drag myself back to life class today. Wouldn’t you know it, I wound up sitting with a view of the model’s … back. When I got back (heh) home, I watched hockey fans shout “back to back” while cheering on the Washington Capitals, who are trying to repeat as Stanley Cup champions. And I watched men twist their backs violently while playing golf at the Masters. All in all, it was a back of a day. "Back study," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

#28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast

your back is back! so glad to hear you're feeling better.
you really do capture the light quickly! either that or you're managing your strokes and keeping your initial impressions on the canvas better? i really like the way the neck relates to the rest. the head is in a way complete, it has all value and shape in interesting order. all weight is credibly portrayed, and the right arm&hand are lyrical, there's the otherworldly component that's now regularly visible in your work. do you have a new model next week or will you continue on this?

no painting here, thick clouds, heavy light, audible thaw. the squirrel's moved into the attic. lots of overdue TLC for the house. i did buy narcissus 😀. they appear to be modelling, stretching their heads looking for the camera, or attention from the sun.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2019, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments, Ronsu. This was just a one-day pose, and we had only about 90 minutes to work, as we spent the first hour on demos and drawing practice. So yep, I had to be quick. I like it okay, but if I had more time I'd tone down the creases in her back and improve the drawing, which is pretty good but not perfect. Still, not bad for a quick study after some time off.

The weather is warm here but rain is afoot, and my back is still objecting to painting for long periods of time, so I'm taking it easy. Maybe tomorrow.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2019, 02:11 AM
Enthusiast

This was the first week of a two-week pose. The drawing needs work; the eye in shadow needs to be moved left and up, for example. (I actually hadn't intended to suggest an eye there at all yet; stray marks, maybe.) The color scheme is promising, though. The background really did gradate dark-to-light from top-down as I indicate; I plan to emphasize that more. "In shadow," in progress," oil on panel, 11" x 14."

Last edited by Grotius : 04-21-2019 at 02:13 AM.