WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2019, 01:33 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Re: Scavenger Hunt #578, Mar 1- Mar 9

We took 3 nights 4 days short vacation trip to show the girls other parts of Thailand. The first night we stopped at our own cabin at SuanPhueng, Rajburi. But the 2-3 night, we stayed at a B&B along the small canal in DamnoenoSaduak, Rajburi. The B&B's operater/owner is also my sketcher friends. He took me to the Old-time stuff museum to sketches.

#1 cylinder -- done with cp

#2 fraglie -- a lamp on our cabin bed headboard ... done with cp

Before we headed to B&B, we stopped by at the famous Tao-Hong-Tai ceramics factory of Rajburi.

#3 Seen in your city/town -- the open door garden showcase at the TaoHongTai ceramics factory, Rajburi ... the small province where our cabin locates
#4 round/oval -- those ceramics pieces used as garden decoration

We were at the SatawatSiam, an old-time artifacts museum in Rajburi, Thailand. The kind owner let me and my B&B's owner friend to go in for a sketch of their old car collection.

#5 blue
#6 red
#7 green ... well kind of light green
#8 rough

#9 breakfast -- toasts and ripe Thai mango in bright yellow served at the B&B, done with directwatercolor

#10 happy -- waking up from our charming B&B in DamnoenSaduak near a small canal and sketch the peaceful scene -- down with directwatercolor

BTW, I did this sketch in the B&B's sketchbook... I only brought home memory. The B&B's owner is also an avid sketcher. He asks me to leave a sketch in his place's sketchbook.

Here is the proof of my happiness while sketching this scene.

#11 large -- an old elegant Thai wooden house almost 90 years old, which was disassembled from a wealthy family estate in Bangkok due to the estate will be demolished and become a station of the new Bangkok's underground train... This house was bought and reassembled here 70 miles south of Bangkok in an old time stuff museum called SatawatSiam museum. The kind owner allowed me and my B&B's owner's friend to go in for a sketch. -- also done with directwatercolor

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 03-06-2019 at 01:56 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Jo - Thanks much!

Ai - Wow!!! A visual feast!!!!! Your sketches are all amazing. And doing complicated and beautiful sketches direct with watercolor is astonishing Maybe the ceramics watercolor is my favorite, but then I look at the B&B again, and then the old cars, and all of your work, and I can't pick a favorite. Thanks for sharing your journey
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2019, 11:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks, Paul, Pine Cone, and Jo!

Ai - What a wonderful sketching trip! I think my favorite sketch is the ceramics factory but I love the one of the elegant house (great that they saved it), and the vehicles. You were in your element!

8 - clothing - watercolors
9 - food I like - watercolors
Attached Images

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2019, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast
Boston MA area

Hails from United States

Ai: Great job denting the list, very busy girl. I very much enjoy seeing your sketches of Thailand. I very much enjoyed my times in Thailand and your sketches bring back great memories. Thanks.... I agree with Pine Cone tough to pick a favorite but the sketch in the B&B book is very representative of my memories.....

Joan: Great sketches of clothing and food you enjoy. Your figure sketches are quite awesome, well done....

Oh By The Way I will not have access to the internet until after the 10th so see you in the next hunt

C & C Always Welcomed

Last edited by m50paul : 03-07-2019 at 09:16 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:48 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Ai, what a great trip for your art and for the girls. The colored pencil sketches are very nice. You have mastered direct watercolor. Thank you for sharing your world with us. You are capturing history as it is made. The old wooden house is amazing.

Joan, The portrait is lovely. The fruit snacks are so well done.

Paul we will miss you. Have good away time. It is hard to do without internet and phones. We always wonder how we did without. We can't even go for a mile walk (30 minutes) without the phone.
Winston Churchill
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Thank you all for your kind words: PineCone, Joan, Jo, Paul.

Paul: Thanks for hosting. Have a great vacation for your remaining trip.

Joan: Thanks .... wonderful portrait and a still-life fruit.

Here is a few more done today during exam proctoring:

#12 frustrating.

#13 scary ... well kind of ... the feeling of try to finish my exam within 3 hours ...

Last edited by Eye : 03-07-2019 at 10:56 AM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:42 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Ai, these test sketches are amazing. You got lots of sketches with great detail done this time. Applause!!

I sketched in the big book early yesterday and then forgot all about posting. Done with the Pilot fountain pen.

Number 4,breakfast - granola
Number 5, cylinder - raisins
Number 6, oval/round - bowl

Paul, thanks for the Hunt. Will get the new one up late this evening. See all y'all there.
Winston Churchill
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 05:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Thanks Paul, Jo & Ai.

Ai - I always enjoy seeing your sketches of the students working on their exams!

Jo - Nices sketch of your breakfast!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

10 - breakfast (pineapple chunks and a spinach-cheese-egg white omelette - watercolors and ink
11 - cylinders (pilings) - watercolors and ink
12 - scary seagulls (when they all fly off together)
Attached Images

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 05:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

....thank you peeps for your sweet comments.
Paul, nice pencil work on the swim suited bod, well done on all
Jo, breakfast looks healthy, and well drawn.... lovely colourful still life of the three coloured items, I see a mug lurking there
PC, nice story with the pouch, like the expressive colours
Joan, lovely work on all those watercolours. Very well done boats, cool shadows in those snowy scenes. Well done portrait and fruit, and seagulls can be scary, especially when they try and steal your icecream!....breakfast looks good too
Ai, wow, you have been so busy, all fab, the ceramic factory looks a great place to visit, and paint. All very good buildings. Breakfast looks very enticing. All in all it looks like you had a lovely break Then back to the exam room, the students look well engrossed...
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Sketches first; comments later

1. cylinder of sorts - ball point pen on cardstock offcut

2. happy - "monster" I created with a friend - the base is crocheted, and the top is pipecleaner with two googly eyes and a pompom nose and felt smiley mouth - ballpoint pen on cardstock
3. blue - binding on a book - coloured pencil on cardstock

Cheers,

Cheers,
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2019, 11:55 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Jo - great green/red/blue including the red in the cast shadow on the left Your granola cereal comes in a waxed milk container? Cool! I cannot sketch my breakfast because I eat it before I can get out sketch tools

PC - your pouch drawing seems to convey humble respect

Scatty - your pooch looks to be having a marvellous time playing with the empty milk container

Joan - I like the addition of ink as in your boat yard/blue tarp and the two storry building with two stone chimneys in post 11. Mmm fruits for a fruit salad

Ai - wonderful fragile lamp. Such lucious colours in your artifacts; garden; and the old wooden house -- wow! What pallete are you using when you paint on location? Is it like this one on Amazon? Look at those exam takers working so hard. How can you manage to sketch while watching for cheating?
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)

Last edited by eyepaint : 03-09-2019 at 12:04 AM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2019, 12:50 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepaint
Ai - ... What pallete are you using when you paint on location? Is it like this ...on Amazon ... How can you manage to sketch while watching for cheating?

EP: Thanks for your kind words ...

1)

For the travel watercolor pallete ... I use "Mijello-airtight-Watercolor pallette"... https://www.amazon.com/Mijello-Airtight-Watercolor-18-Well-Fuchsia/dp/B002664868/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=mijello+watercolor+palette&qid =1552106683&s=gateway&sr=8-5

I have several of other smaller set up folding pallettes or compact wc travel sets, which are even smaller ... but for me, I end up like carrying this set for a dedicated sketching trip and preloaded it with mostly Daniel Smith paints and I leave a few full-size cheap but decent wc brushes inside this pallette... You have to do your own experiment and see what you like and suite your style. However, if I just want to sketch while waiting for the doctor at hospital... I might just bring a black/brown pen and a sketchbook...with no wc on-site.

2) For my exam room sketching ... they were my students taking my classes... so I mostly design my exam toward open-books/notes exam ... so it is not likely that they will cheat (as they don't need to remember things) ... Plus, they need time to focus on my 3 hr exam ... they normally are busy doing lots of calculation so they are likely still and focus .... Plus ... I try to be quick ... Plus I also have two more proctor helpers in the same exam room ... so all of these helps with my consistent sketches throughout my teaching career. If I have to go help proctor somebody'else exam subjects... I will not sketch there.

Last edited by Eye : 03-09-2019 at 12:59 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2019, 03:38 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

Joan: Thanks. Love your yummy breakfast and all the seagulls.

EP: Thanks. I love mr.Happy ...so cute sketch.

Jo: Thanks. You got very nice breakfast combo set as well.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2019, 09:07 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks, all. It's baseball time and I'm falling behind. Too many hours on the road.

Joan, The birds and pilings are neat. I always remember the movie, The Birds, when there are more than a few together. Saw some clips of it recently, the special effects are not that good, but still scary. Ha. Your breakfast sounds good and healthy. Nice ellipses.

Scatty, Mugs and bowls have taken over my kitchen ... again.

EP, I actually ate my breakfast of eggs, chile, tortillas. I always eat mine before I can sketch it, too. Gene likes that granola so much, odd container. Interesting cylinder do you use it for water? Cute little monster. And blue is always good.

Ai, that is my new watercolor pallette, too. It is nice. You do such great watercolor sketches.

I finally got up the new Hunt. See all y'all over there.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...php?p=21560547
Winston Churchill

Last edited by Jo Castillo : 03-09-2019 at 09:10 AM.