WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Miniature Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Project Discussion: Painting the Masters ATC Trade

Itís amazing how a painting that is huge can still look pretty good at 2.5 inches.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Isn't it though!

I ordered that book, thanks autismart! Here's her link on Goggle Arts, you can click on one of the paintings and scan right in. I love her use of color against a dark background.

I've done two paintings so far. I have the backgrounds for a couple more painted on, giving them some drying time today.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 12:08 PM
WC! Guide
New York City

Hails from Puerto Rico

There are several masters that I love, so now to pick which ones to do. I've done some paintings from Monet, etc. and have them hanging on my walls.
It's going to be some challenge to do them small though.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 02:49 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada

Barb, isnít it amazing that I didnít even think of typing in a search for female painters before 1923? I knew there were one or 2. But ďmy art educationĒ said I wouldnít find much, for all kinds of reasons, so donít bother. Hmph!🤨 So good to hear you are finding lists of them.🙂🙂🙂👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
It is interesting to find out how many female artistsí artwork were credited to others. Maybe that was the only way to get shown? Or even, to sell and earn money? I will have to look into that.
And you know itís a strong painting when it has impact at the ATC size!
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.

Last edited by PaintBoss : 02-16-2019 at 02:53 PM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

Started on my third card today but it still has a long way to go and of course there are always those that get thrown out. Not so sure about this one. I hope it turns out ok. As for the women artists I just started randomly viewing the ones on the list that looked like they would have work before 1923. There are some really interesting works.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 AM

I was thinking about doing some cards that are simply inspired(in style/palette) by older works - is this also acceptable?
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Well now I will have a book to read! I hadn't ever looked up female artist either but now my interest is peaked! This thread could end up turning into a book review, a study on female artist, and, a painting trade! I haven't worked on my next one yet but I am sure I will today. Life demanded that I clean house, cook and do some laundry. We did find out that it may be 2 weeks yet before my mom goes but its really OK. She needs the time to finish packing. She is going to be 86 years old next month and is really doing well packing her things. Shes just a little slower than she used to be so it relieved her to not have to rush.

I am still very much loving this trade. Floblu you are right about learning about how they used line and form. There is a lot to learn and I love doing that! I'm so glad I joined this trade!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Enthusiast

Hi helcahisie I think that cards inspired by older works in style would be fine. Nice to see you here. Cindy iíll Be looking forward to your book review. I was thinking about sending a little bit of info about the artist that inspired the cards with the cards that I do. Some of the artists I picked I had never heard of before. Iíve been finding it really interesting to research them. Unfortunately some of them donít have much recorded about them.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

floblue, I thought I would post a little about the artists on the back also! Great minds think alike I guess! LOL This is such a fun project because its really nice to go back to my art history days and see all the stuff I had forgotten. I still have my huge book from Art History class in college. I need to get it out now . I knew their was a reason I kept it. It is actually a beautiful book. I remember when I had to buy it though and in the 70's $250.00 was a LOT of money! It was so worth it though.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:57 PM

Hails from Canada

That was expensive Cindy! Mine was over $100 in 1990, and I thought that was a lot.
Yes helcahisie , you may do a work inspired by a masterpiece. I asked that way back in the thread, and Virginia said it would be fine. So for instance, if you want to do a Cubist piece, similar to a masterwork, it should be fine.🙂
Inevitably some attempts will end up in the trash. Continue anyway. Perseverance can trump undeveloped, procrastinating, or fearful talent.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Enthusiast

I had one of those too (from the 70ís) but Iím not sure what happened to it could still be at my dadís. I do have a beautiful book on lithography that has some wonderful art in it but I believe most of the art is proabably 40ís to 60ís but I think I will take a look and see if there is anything that I can use. Iím having so much fun with this project too. Iíve got 4 started now but canít go any further with them since they are just a bit wet. They need to dry to I can put the details in. Iím going to start another but have to do a little research.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 05:24 PM

Hails from Canada

For all of you Speedy Gonzales, who have several finished already...I just want you to know that I have got my trading card paper cut. I even cut extra in case I need more. Yes, CUT. I AM ON A ROLL!

Last edited by PaintBoss : 02-17-2019 at 05:27 PM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:26 PM
Enthusiast
Westfir, Oregon

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintBoss
For all of you Speedy Gonzales, who have several finished already...I just want you to know that I have got my trading card paper cut. I even cut extra in case I need more. Yes, CUT. I AM ON A ROLL!

I'm in the same exact situation. lol Little paper all nice and cut to the right size along with enough extras in case I need them, and of course, I WILL need them before I'm done. I think I'm pointed in the right direction though and that I'm good to go. At least for the time being.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:08 AM
Enthusiast

Congratulations on the paper getting cut your on your way. That was the hardest part for my first exchange. I agonized over the papers getting cut just right so I bought several different pre-cut artist trading card papers when. I din't think that I would cut them properly so I took the easy way out and bought them. I still have several packs to choose from for this exchange so I haven't had to cut yet. But I did by a very nice $24.00 paper cutter that the scrapbooking people use so now I won't have to buy my paper at premium prices anymore. I was going to start another one tonight but I ended up watching Victoria on PBS instead. The little things that we get caught up in sure take away from what is planned.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2019, 12:48 AM

Hails from Canada

Sure do.🙂 I love historical dramas or documentaries.....I surely would have got sucked in. Once I get rolling with actually painting I can listen intently to shows or podcasts while working away.
I should maybe go get one of those paper cutters sometime...So much easier than exacto knife and ruler. It will save you $ indeed! I canít believe what they charge for precut cards.
Now I am down to finally settling on which paintings to *attempt*. It has been fun looking.