WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Artwork from Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2008, 01:42 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Scavenger Hunt#108 (Nov. 9-17)

Hello all, this Hunt will be around Literature Theme.. That's right, I have chosen the list of good literatures from various authors, and possibly various periods. I have to admit that I am far from being a literature guru but I do love to read or at least try to read. I have read some of the items in the following list or watch a play or a movie version of it. I hope you all can enlighten each of us by interpreting the Hunt item from a particular literature in your own style and sketch from it. Be it, if you just take the word literally out of a title and sketch, or an illustration, or you have read it and feel a certain impression of something and you decide to sketch from that thing. The interpretation of the items is a bit challenge in itself.

However, if you need to learn more of these literatures, you may start at:
http://www.literature.org/

Pardon me for including Shawshank Redemption, which is the very contemporary work of Stephen King. It might not be in the literature list yet, but many people agree with me that it is a truly remarkable tale.

==================

Thanks J for hosting the previous challenging and wonderful list.

==================

Please don't feel obligated to comment on EVERYTHING...we just like to see your sketches......

If you've participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we'd really appreciated it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting list in the Art from Life forum:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366347
In case you don't know them already, here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All items on the list must be sketched from life - not imagination or photo references.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch then, from 1 to 26.
Do as many or as few items as you like. you don't have to finish the entire list to participate! The Scavenger Hunt "week" will last for 9 days, with the next hunt on the 9th day.
Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
Please note commenting is not required. Comments and chat are always welcome but if you don’t have the time or inclination, feel free to simply post your images. (You can also comment on only the last page or two, if you like.)

The List:
  • Romeo & Juliet
  • To kill a mocking bird
  • The old man and the sea
  • Gone with the wind
  • Pride and prejudice
  • Sense and sensibility
  • Great expectation
  • Crime and punishment
  • As you like it
  • The sound and the fury
  • Leaves of grass
  • The adventure of Tom Sawyers
  • Little house on the prairie
  • Charlott’s the Web
  • Les Misérables
  • War and peace
  • Street car named desire
  • The great Gatsby
  • Little women
  • The Secret Garden
  • The awakening
  • The adventure of Peter Pan
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Around the world in eighty days
  • Shawshank redemption

Challenge:
*Design your own book/CD cover, it can be something you imagine up or it can be your own style cover of one of the above literature. Pick the book/album title as you wish.

If there are any items you do not have, feel free to substitute with whatever you wish. Try to come as close as you can to a requested object.

Let's the fun begin.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.

Last edited by Eye : 11-08-2008 at 01:50 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2008, 01:55 PM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand
Re: Scavenger Hunt#108 (Nov. 9-16)

Oops... I goof up the Hunt date again. It should be Nov.9-17. instead.

Ai

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

What a FASCINATING idea, Ai!!! Wow! I finished an art show today and am prepping for another in 2 weeks, but hopefully I'll have time to participate a bit in this. I've already thought of a couple of things. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:28 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

sarales: Thanks for stopping by and let's have some fun with this one.

Ai

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Ai, another Hunt where I have to think. Hard on this old brain!! See ya...
Winston Churchill
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Ai,

What a fantastic idea!!!

You've included a bunch of my favorite authors and books I'm probably still too sick to participate, but I'll try anyway. Reading is near and dear to my heart. (Several thousand nf books in my home.)

This fits in perfectly with NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), the crazy yet invigorating event that runs in November every year, all over the world. I'm too sick to participate this year, but hope to next year. If you wanted to get involved with that, it is here:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I'll try and at least keep an eye on this thread to see what everyone comes up with. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone sketches.

This is so exciting!!!!!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 10:53 AM
A Local Legend
Bangkok, Thailand

Hails from Thailand

JoC: Nothing is too hard for you, especially when it comes to sketching & drawing.

PineCone: I am sorry to hear that you have not been well. I miss you. I am sure you will have fun with this one, whether you can participate or not. But I do hope that you feel better and can do a few items. It is good that you mention "NaNoWriMo". I was thinking about it and gave up because I have so much going on. But the thought of writing a story has come up to me from time to time. So I decide to do "NaBloPoMo" (National Blog Posting Month) instead.

Ai

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

This is gonna be tough! I have a few ideas but not 26 ideas....
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
London, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

The last hunt somehow flew past me, but I've got 2 pictures for this hunt. I don't think I'll continue at this rate though, I'm really struggling with ideas!

1. Gone with the wind - leaves on a tree out front, thanks to a windstorm.
2. Secret garden - a surprise, hardy November rose in our front garden (the pink thing).
Pastel on Mi-teintes. I was trying to get across the dark obscurity of all-day dusk (without success).

I'm afraid I've been drawing the news again. I managed to refrain for so long!
3. Great expectations - Europe & Obama.
A selection of European politicians making references to Obama. Actual quotes.

Pencil on printer paper.

Sandy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Ai - This list looks sooooooooo interesting!!! Too bad I'll be gone and won't be able to post anything. I will try to check in from time to time if I find a computer I can use.

Pine Cone - Sorry to hear you've been sick. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I'm off at 5 am tomorrow for a 3 week trip...driving south from NY all the way to Key West, Florida. We will make a few overnight stops going down and then on the return we are stopping in St. Augustine (our first time there) and then in Myrtle Beach where we are spending a few days with my brother and his family (including Thanksgiving). I have my art materials on the kitchen table waiting to be packed. We'll be back the first of Dec. (We'll be traveling partway home for on birthday.)

I'll pop in soon!!! Have fun!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Sandy - well done! Love those quotes

Joan - you can't go away. I'm hosting the next hunt!
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Hay, sounds like fun Joan - stay safe and see you back here one of these days!

Great political sketches Sandy - and I thought the house scene looked day-duskified even before I read your comment. I'd love a rose that could bloom in November - I've never heard of that Congrats on being first!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

Joan!! Are you coming through Alabama or Georgia? I'm in Alabama close to the GA state line. I sure would love to meet you!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

Ai, really interesting list. I will print out list and see what I can come up with. Class and one tennis league have finished so more time to sketch and paint! I hope.

Joan, have fun on your trip.

Sandy, nice pastel.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Alabama

Hails from United States

Pine Cone, sorry to hear you are sick. The novel thing sounds interesting. I think I will put that on my calendar for next year though. I don't think I have a talent for the written word, though.

Marilyn