WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:42 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

The Spotlight - December 2017 - Holiday Cards

Welcome artists!

Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere.

And, remember, no critiques unless specifically asked for.

The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month were taken by me or are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

This month’s Spotlight is on…Holiday Cards!

It's Holiday time and I thought we would do a little something different this month. Every year at this time, some folks create their own Holiday cards from original paintings. While I haven't done it - although I do make my own cards, but they have never been from paintings or more specifically pastel paintings - I am hoping that some of our pastel artists will be up to the task! Feel free to share any Holiday cards that you have painted from the past, as well as paintings that you may use for this year! Ideas, sketches, thoughts, questions, are all welcome!

I tend to take very few photos in the winter, so I don't have any references, but feel free to share any references that you may have! Here are a few of my most recent Holiday cards - two are from photos which everyone is free to use - and the other two are more of my usual Holiday card style (Simple and done on the computer... )

Please share any and all of your Holiday card ideas and paintings!

And have a very wonderful Holiday season!

Don

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2017, 12:19 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: The Spotlight - December 2017 - Holiday Cards

Hi Don and all. I will look out some of my previous years Christmas cards and post. Good subject, let's get in the spirit!

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 07:32 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Beautiful photos and great theme. I may manage to do one this month, it's been too long since I did a Spotlight. Love the one with the candle!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Quite a few years ago, I photographed two of my paintings and turned them into Thanksgiving and Christmas cards. They were not the usual subject matter, but worked none the less. It was those few touches of red in the wildlife painting that turned them into holiday cards.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2017, 05:51 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Both of these are so beautiful, Karen. My favorite is that egret, though. Egrets always go right to my heart. Wonderful work and they do elegantly as card subjects, the little bit of red makes it perfect.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 02:50 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Karen, Thanks for joining us and sharing these two beautiful cards! That background on the Thanksgiving card is absolutely fantastic!

Don

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2017, 07:00 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Thank you, Robert and Don. I forgot how much fun it was to create my own holiday cards.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Wonderful cards, Karen! The egret card has an old fashioned or nostalgic feel to me and who wouldn't hang onto a copy of those birds? I'm ashamed that I've never attempted to make a holiday card. If I start now maybe I can have one ready for next year!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2017, 01:50 PM
Calgary, Alberta

Hails from Canada

I was wondering how this month's challenge would work out, but seeing Karen's birds I immediately felt I had to post. (I lurk, a lot.) I love the birds on the branch, with the soft background that really make them pop.

Urge to pull out pastels rising...
Simon
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 05:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

This is an old painting, but hella fun to do, especially the "floury" part!
Hiya everyone. I'm trying to get back in the "stick" of things, thanks to some not-so-gentle prodding by Karen.

Kris
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2017, 08:16 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Kris, this would make a wonderful card!!! Pick up the sticks!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:52 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oh wow! Kris, this is beautiful and so perfect on theme! That'd make a fantastic card. It's the sort of thing that makes you drool and think of going in the kitchen to do it. Love the composition too. The floury bit worked fantastic. I'm not sure how you did it, but you really got it. Happy memories of cheerful messes and a lovely collection of cookie cutters. I love the metallic effect on those, you really got the shine.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsloan2
Oh wow! Kris, this is beautiful and so perfect on theme! That'd make a fantastic card. The floury bit worked fantastic. I'm not sure how you did it, but you really got it. Happy memories of cheerful messes and a lovely collection of cookie cutters. I love the metallic effect on those, you really got the shine.

Thank you Robert, and thank you Karen, for the virtual kick in the ass!

Like I said, this was absurdly fun to paint. The "flour" was one of Terry's off whites, scrumbled across a sprayed surface. I could have easily covered the entire painting with "flour" it was so much fun!

The cookie cutters I directly attribute to Dianna Ponting. We did a cookie cutter in the class that I took with her (where I met Karen, the pint sized dynamo), and she kept saying "make it look like ribbon!" I learned my lesson well. Although I'm way rusty now!

Yep, gotta pick up those sticks again!
Kris
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2017, 10:54 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Kris, So nice to see you! Lovely painting! Those cookie cutters are fantastic!! It might inspire me to bake some cookies tomorrow!

Don

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-17-2017, 12:03 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I think I remember when you posted those cookie-themed paintings, Kris, and it's nice to see them again! They really would make great cards because we can all relate to the allure of freshly baked holiday treats (or just the dough in my case.) Your still life work is always an inspiration so I hope to see it again.