WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2017, 05:45 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
The Goal Post - August 2017

Whether you're facing the dog days heat of summer up in the Northern Hemisphere or the bitter winds of winter in the Southern Hemisphere, August is here with its extremes and its drama. Whether you like braving the weather to paint outdoors or you prefer curling up inside to paint plein window or with a photo, have fun!

Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Goal Post - August 2017

Well, last month was pretty much a wash.

This month my goal is to finish and turn in the scroll in progress that still needs two or three more cats sketched on it in gray ink, which now has to be the same thinned black ink and dip pen since I did one of them already.

And to get in some art. I don't know if I can try for daily art again but I'll sure have a go at weekly Art or Artish.

Last, would like to play with my new QoR Watercolors and actually review them along with the teeny tiny watercolor palette I used to hold them. This kit is now ready to use, just add water brush, pen and paper. It's just the right size to use with ATCs actually, since I could rubber band a stack of them to it. So that's kind of a neat thing.

Extra extra points if I pastel anything! I miss pastels but it's been too hot to move throughout July.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Immortalized

My first goal post - hoping this will actually help me keep some goals!

I've been MIA (missing in action) due to an accident and bringing in a feral cat. Oh boy, it's been fun! (not!!!!). I've had my feral now 5 months - her name is lulu - she is totally feral and I've been working with her trying to socialize her. She's about 14 months now, and still skittish as all heck! I can finally pet her using 2 hands, she comes about 90% of the time when I call her, but I can't pick her up, put her on my lap, brush her, clip her nails... the list goes on and on. But she's really sweet, she just needs lots and lots of patience. When she wants me to pet her, she plops down in front of me exposing her belly (one day I'm gonna smoosh that belly!) making air biscuits, then rolls onto her front, sticking her butt in the air. She LOVES when I scratch her back side, she purrs up a storm! With every step forward I make with her, there's lots of steps backwards too. The oddest things frighten her - I can walk by her without her running away (she used to take off like a bat out of hell at first when I'd walk by), but when I bend down to pet her, she runs away ... sigh. The tv terrifies her, I think she thinks that whatever's on the TV is going to come right out and after her. I'm probably the first human who's ever touched her. I've got to bring her into the vet again, as there's something wrong with her mouth that I want to get checked out, not urgent yet, but it does need looking at. I don't want to have to trap her again and lose whatever trust I've gained, so I've been working with her trying to get her into her carrier by putting treats inside, pulling string through it, tossing her ball inside. She gets about half way in, then out she goes!

My accident was actually a fall - I fell down 2 steps. You'd wonder how bad could that be? Well, I cracked 2 ribs, put my back out, and twisted my ankle. 10 days later, I dropped a cutting board (of all things) on my twisted ankle and ended up with 2 broken toes. So I had been walking around like Frankenstein and of course, this scared the beejeezus out of lulu - setting us back yet again!

Painting. I need and want to start painting again, as the above has kept me really busy and away from art.

So my goals for this month:

1. Get lulu into crate and bring her to vet
2. Paint, paint, paint! Will try 1 or 2 challenges this month
3. Don't fall down any more stairs
4. Don't drop anything on foot!

As this is only the 2nd, hopefully I can accomplish what I set out to do.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Oww that can be rough! It's not how far you fall, it's how you land. Ouch.

Lulu sounds like a shy but rewarding sweetie. You've made great progress with her so far if she's letting you rub her tummy! The carrier's possibly going to be a sore spot forever, some cats never really adjust to it and have to get apologized to after the vet visit. But if she needs it, she needs it!

Awesome goals. Good luck to you with Lulu! Hope you paint her, that'd be wonderful. I'd love to see her!

So far I've done... a little bit of coloring with my QoR paints but not finished the tiny 3 x 5" page that I had drawn up. Though I did finally finish inking it to get to the point of painting. Still exploring how these watercolors handle. Like how they look in person, they may not look that different in a photo but there is a certain intensity in person especially on some colors. Pretty subtle but it's there.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Did it! Finished the scroll for the event this weekend, turned it in. Got good photos. That last little bit was hard to get done, just took forever to get the energy to do those little cat sketches. Posting it down in my Art Journals thread for 2017 sketches.

Also did use the QoR watercolors on a page in my 3 x 5" Moleskine journal but haven't finished the page yet.

So things are looking up!

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Immortalized

Show off!

Good for you Robert. As for me, haven't accomplished anything yet. Still working with socializing lulu, it's gonna take a loooong time

Gee - it's so quiet in here, I can almost hear an echo .........
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Yes, tooooooo quiet by half. Where has everyone gone?
Sorry to hear of your troubles Cali and trying to domesticate a ferrel cat, best of luck with the latter. There is nothing but pain killers on offer for broken ribs here. And they are very much so. I know because my wife tried piroetting late one night and cracked one on the arm of a settee.

The only goals I have at the moment is to insulate my garage for a model railway and to read up on past wet canvas posts.
Hi there to Robert and thanks for all your efforts in trying to get me back in with the old name and password. It did not work hence today's last ditch stand.
Nice goal achieved there and I'll be busy reading.......
Jim (used to be mijj)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2017, 04:23 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Cali! It sounds like you need bumpers! What a time you've had. Stay upright, please, and take care of kitty.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:09 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Jim, welcome back! PURR!!! Missed you! Sounds cool your doing the model railway. I always liked those, but didn't have a place for one since I moved too often so never bought one. Always liked the idea of doing the backdrop paintings on one, big panoramic landscapes.

Cali, good luck with lulu! She'll sweeten with time. Even feral cats are bribable, slowly and patiently. I've been wooing my Sissy ever since I got her, and she's finally starting to get the idea that she's my cat. She's started coming up at night to lay on my chest and knead and purr and get an hour of petting and snuggles before I'm allowed to sleep. Her thing is if she wants pets, you don't get to stop till she's done or she mews piteously.

I finished the page I started with QoR and used Daniel Smith titanium white to detail it, comparing that to white gouache. I like having a white DS watercolor stick, it's convenient, but not as intense as white gouache. Unfortunately the tube gouache crumbles in any kind of palette, unlike the watercolors. Not sure what to do about that.

Heat wave came back, though I had a period of somewhat cooler weather and serious rain. Yesterday and today were sweat baths, nothing accomplished. But I still feel good for the month since I got the scroll done.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Coo, I've been out again. This time Yorky came to the rescue with an email and he merged my old reg. details with my new one somehow. Any way I am not going to play with it at all as I am getting in and out. Thanks Yorky!

Glad all the goals are coming to fruition one way or another.
Cali how's the ferral cat fairing? Did you get her into the basket? No photo's of Lulu? How are the ribs repairing? Painful even to clear your throar as I recall. As Karen said, you need bumpers.

You have taken some photo's of the scrolls Robert? Are you not showing them to us then?

No goals to speak of Karen, perhaps later.

I have been very busy here. We have had wife's daughter and husband staying whilst their place is being refurbished. I did get a rest from all the chores because he is so super active and they emptied the garage into an old shed and a new shed (which was errected before their arrival) whilst I built a baseboard for a model railway. I miss him now they've gone, the grass needs cutting as well.

My wife has ordered the insulated roller garage door and when that is fitted we'll get on with the floor and roof insulation. My son (the tall one) has insulated the garage for me helped (or hindered) by me. He said last week that I taught him all I knew.....then I forgot it . Wait till he gets to 75 yo . I admit the memory is not firing on all cylinders these days like it used to .
I have built the three base boards and will bolt them together when the floor is done.
I have built/bought some models to find out which will survive in an insulated, but not attached, garage (it is not on the central heating system). Some are card some plastic some wood and some resin. The latter are complete and need no glueing .
Goals here make themselves....I can take photo's if they interest anyone but don't want to be a bore.
Jim.

Last edited by Mij : 08-22-2017 at 01:41 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Goals? Yes, my husband retired Friday and I've been taking care of Medicare, retirement, etc. A lot happens when your spouse retires.
1) My first goal is to find time to finish the painting of a camel for a wildlife show.
2) I need to find a mother of the groom dress in the next 3 weeks.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

OMG JIM You're really back!..Missed you terribly. But I have to admit I have not been active in the last few months. Just can't seem to get back in the groove again. But will keep trying. maybe in Sept......

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 PM

That's the Judi we know! Up and attam thas' wot .
Lovely to see you again, it's awfully quiet in here with us lot isn't it.
So you have had no motivation, no goals to speak of. I hope you can find something for September. It's only 3 months then to Christmas. And I swear dustbin day comes quicker every week!
I have done plenty, so much so I can't remember it all. Just to re-iterate that we are getting there with the complete insulation of the garage ready for a model railway. I was just getting into miniatures when I fell foul of wetcanvas' password and user name notification system. It's broke and there is no way to communicate with them.....no one answers emails except Yorky and I didn't know his.
Anyway Robert passed my info to Yorky he got my old reg. and password merged and here I am, back at last.
Jim.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

I am just so happy to see you back, Jim. i spend most of my time on Facebook now...as does Doug. I keep forgetting to check in here....but I will more often, I hope.
Water Girl....Congrats to your husband on his retirement....Yes, a lot does happen. But it will even itself out soon...

Cali,...OMG...I feel your pain! Do hope you heal well....(I've had several falls and I know how long it can take to recover!) I wish you well with your new kitty- project. My Mom took a feral kitten who never did become socialized...
This cat was a terror all its life. Hope you do better with yours!

Rob...glad to hear you are still working....and producing! I miss seeing your posts on Facebook.. will try to get back into W/C and do a Spotlight this month.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Welcome back, Jim! I'm sorry to hear you had difficulty getting back to us.