WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
The Goal Post - June 2017

Sorry to post it late this month, but here it is! Summer is here and grandson's home from school, so I'll be home with grandkids instead of gallivanting around the horse shoeing circuit with my daughter and post more. Jump in and get involved!

Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 01:47 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States
Re: The Goal Post - June 2017

Starting off, I have been out of step for very long so I'd better keep it simple.

1. Continue working on SCA medieval scrolls.
2. Get back to pastels with this month's Spotlight
3. Try for Art or Artish daily during June.

I can try to get back to at least little thumbnails or scribbles daily, but of course working on a scroll thing does count. So does research on the calligraphy and illumination.

Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 06:27 PM

As for myself, I've been awaiting summer with an anticipation approaching that of a much younger me... Because it means I can paint more!

Here are my goals as set out a few weeks ago:

Keep up with Windows/gates/doors challenge
Paint plein air at least once a week
Do the lessons I bought from Karen
Focus on one topic each week... Clouds, animals, flowers, water, etc
Play with abstract/non representational

It's a tall order, but might as well try as not.

shallbe
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2017, 02:29 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Finished a scroll today, a child's award, the Order of the Lamb. Entirely done. Researched and everything, although it was the same research I used on the Champion Scrolls. So I'm actually free to work on pastels and other stuff. Watched Johannes Vloothuis do pastels last Saturday and loved it, watched the video of that class again without the distraction of chat today.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

I'm a little late starting....been away all week....but intend to do at least one Spotlight and one other for the month.

Had several medical issues which seem to be resolved now, so am anxious to get painting again.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Rob, how do you watch Johannes? Artist Network? I cannot yet justify the monthly subscription.

Judi, I hope you are feeling better.

Here are the results of the first week of a few of my goals.

#1 is a kill-two-birds-with-one-stone deal...plein air AND doors/windows challenge: UArt 500, 5X7 ish, I think, and Pan Pastels

This one is the completion of one of the pdf lessons I bought from Karen Margulis last summer. Question: if you are working in any other medium, like acrylics or oils, and you make a beautiful color...how do you record that for reference later? With Pans you can blend and mix colors...and a couple of times I've tried to go back and replicate a color I mixed without being able to. Arches with gesso, PanPastels 9X12

It's coming across quite light on my screen, unfortunately.

Then here is a non-representational piece I played with. I think the paper is Sennelier LaCarte in a very weird size, and I don't remember what color:

Again, it's showing up quite light...not true to life.

Still have plein air and doors/windows/gates challenge to do this week, and only two days to get it done!

shallbe
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Purr glad to see you, Judi! Glad you're going to be able to pastel again, feel for you on the medical interference.

Shallbe, wow wow wow. Gorgeous paintings. All very different. Like the Karen Margulis one and it does remind me of her paintings. The non representational one is WOW! I don't usually even like non representational art, but it's got so much color and energy and motion! Gorgeous. I would love to hang that, if I saw it at an art festival I'd buy it, that's just incredible.

Hmm... mixing colors, in paint or colored pencils or Pan pastels, I don't usually record a good color. I just kind of remember it. Though with paint if I hadn't finished I might make a dab of it so that I have a sample to match when mixing again.

I've done mixing charts with watercolors, often, or with colored pencils. Layering which color goes on first. It works best if I only have a dozen or at most two dozen to use. When it's larger than that mixing is much easier.

My whole approach to color changed when I took "Still Life the Colourful Way" by Colorix, it's in the Pastel Learning Center. I stopped worrying so much about exact color matching and more about color interactions, thought of it in terms of a 12 color wheel, mixing gets a lot easier with that approach. With pastels it still helps to have lots, a 120 color palette is the level where I don't go fumbling for something I don't have by hue and value.

Last edited by robertsloan2 : 06-17-2017 at 04:28 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 02:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
New England

Hails from United States

I love your paintings, Shallbe....especially he middle one.....absolutely gorgeous.

I finally 'took the plunge' yesterday and did a little sketch first with pencil then with pastels. First time in a looong time....and I went back and did another today! It really felt good. I didn't realize how much I've missed painting. I don't intend to let it go so long again....

Hope you are both well ....and painting....

C&C always welcomed and appreciated
JudiB
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2017, 10:28 PM

Hi Rob and Judi;

Rob thank you so much for the encouragement on the abstract. I have no idea how to tell whether it is good or not!

I have an underpainting that went awesomely wrong for the intended piece, but I hope soon to turn it into abstract. I'm almost afraid to touch it, but it won't do to leave, either.

Even though it's summer, I'm finding I have to fight for time to paint! It doesn't help that I ended up with a new puppy unexpectedly last week. She's a very beautiful and sweet pit bull girl but she has already developed a bad counter surfing habit which has got to be dealt with quickly.

I've also discovered that if j spends too much time with tutorials, demos and looking at other people's art I get frustrated with my own. So I'm trying to cut down on watching and just paint.

Judi I'm glad to hear you are painting again.

shallbe
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2017, 01:38 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

One goal done, the other two tanked. Didn't pastel, didn't do daily art or artish, but did get a scroll done and another one started. Heat and going out a lot, those two things really slaughter my art time.

Shallbe, color harmony, composition and artistic planning matter a lot more in abstracts, where you don't have recognizable forms to rest on for success. That abstract is fantastic. I would actually buy that as a collector. (Given I had wall space, which I don't.) Seriously consider using CafePress or DeviantArt or something to make it available as prints, mugs and stuff, it is GREAT design.

Time to set up a new thread!