WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 12:22 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: The Spotlight - June 2017 - Deciduous Trees

This is Uart 400 9 x 12 with Nupastels. Admittedly a bit hurried but I really wanted to participate! C and C most welcome.
Attached Images

JAY
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:52 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Nat, there is a nice feeling of movement in your update.
Jay, there is a delicate, lightness to your hurried piece. How do you like the Uart 400? I just ordered some.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 03:00 PM

Thank you Karen. Uart behaved for me today since I used Nupastel. Sometimes I struggle a bit. (But then I usually struggle. &#129313. Bottom line...I would order more of it. Recently I started a painting with softer pastels and was drowning in dust. (I paint flat.). But, in the end, all was well. Sorta ..😲

I just reread this and there was a string of numbers I did not type!

JAY
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:10 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Nat, This is very lovely! You did a super job on the trees! The only thing I would do to address the depth issue would be to remove the lowest larger cloud on the right side. Aside from that cloud, your clouds are less white as they go towards the horizon making them seem farther away That close to the horizon, the cloud would probably blend in with the sky color and be much smaller, so I think it can go away! Just one small critique on an otherwise very nice painting! Well done!

My Blog My Art Gallery My Photo Gallery
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Jay, Very nice painting, as well! I especially like your trunks and branches! Nicely done!

Don

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 06:47 AM
Modena

Hails from Italy

Thanks Karen, Jay and Don for your appreciation, it makes me very happy that you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK723
Aside from that cloud, your clouds are less white as they go towards the horizon making them seem farther away That close to the horizon, the cloud would probably blend in with the sky color and be much smaller, so I think it can go away!

Don, now that you pointed it out I totally see it! I'll let it go out of the painting when I rework it, hopefully tonight. This pastel thing is getting addictive!

Gli occhi dischiuse il vecchio al giorno, non si guardò neppure intorno, ma versò il vino e spezzò il pane per chi diceva "ho sete, ho fame".
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Thanks Don. I was fascinated by the blue purple look of the trunks in your reference. (My husband is not a fan of green so I find sneaky ways to get around having a green painting. )

Nat, welcome to the addiction of pastels. What brand of pastels are you finding in Italy?

JAY
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Modena

Hails from Italy

Jay, I also loved the purple in the trunks, I tried to reproduce that too!

I am not very informed on pastels available in Italy, I bought my first pastels, a 12 sticks sets of "Conté a Paris", a few years ago at the supermarket, but tried only a few times then abandoned after a few trials not so successful, till a couple of months ago when I decided to give painting a second chance, after starting drawing, and finding this forum Conté is a very popular brand here in Italy for art supplies, together with Stabilo (Carbothello producer).
Then I got a Mungyo 24 sticks, the cheapest and oldest possible, and a 12 royal and langnickel sticks, that were into a mixed media box set that my family gave me for my birthday last month

Now I bought from an artist here on WetCanvas a 2nd hand set of 90 half Rembrandt! Love at first sight, starting from the packaging

But I know there is an italian brand that produces art media, and pastels, called Maineri, though it has a limited assortment, they have more assortment for watercolors, ever heard of it? I have their oil pastels in my "art drawer", I should give them a second chance someday, the first was a total disaster...

Gli occhi dischiuse il vecchio al giorno, non si guardò neppure intorno, ma versò il vino e spezzò il pane per chi diceva "ho sete, ho fame".
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:19 PM

I'm not familiar with colors in Conté in soft pastel. I do like their pastel pencils. From my experience the materials made in France seem good.

I do like Rembrandt very much.
I have not heard of Maineri. If they sell soft pastels, why not write and ask for a sample? I'm told that the large art supply companies here will send samples...not sure about to Italy though.
Oil pastels....for me....I did badly.

JAY
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Modena

Hails from Italy

Jay, it's a good idea to ask for samples, I'll try and see what I can get from them. Indeed I think French material is good, everything a bit "artsy" in Italy is usually French The price shall be not that bad also for French products here.

Ok so here it is, finished, well not a masterpiece for sure but I'm proud I completed my first pastel landscape ever!
It was fun and challenging to join this spotlight and I learnt a lot from this piece!

Edit: ouch rotated again, it must be some mobile issue!

Last edited by nachele : 06-06-2017 at 05:23 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 PM
WC! Guide
Rochester, NY

Nat, This is so well done! And for a first landscape...super!!

Don

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:08 AM

NICE WORK, Nat. The trees look great. I love you sky and your sky color. What a good job you did.

JAY
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast
Jones County, NC

Hails from United States

Well. First, let me say how I've enjoyed looking at all the wonderful paintings of trees this month! Excellent work everyone!

Here is my sad little contribution. I think the seagull is the only part that looks OK. I am so weak on landscapes - the rocks don't look rocky, the water isn't very blue, and the trees looked like aquarium plants! 😃 Any suggestions are welcome! Still, it was nice to be painting again!

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2017, 05:59 AM
Modena

Hails from Italy

Thanks everyone for the nice words on my first landscape I am soooo happy, can't wait to paint again

Sandra, you made me laugh at trees looking like aquarium plants, but this is not at all true! The seagull indeed is awesome. I am a very newbie so I don't have many suggestion, maybe I'll add more pastel layers, but that's just cause this is what I do when I don't get the results I want I used many layers in mine to get the darks and the lights that I wanted!

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada

Don has really inspired us this month, a topic I'm sure we can revisit often.

Robert nice to see you here, your comments are always thoughtful

Nat, we all understand your struggle and you're doing really well, keep at it.

Jay, you've hit the nail on the head with this one. I love the elusive of the tree shapes and lost and found edges!

Sandra, you are way too hard on yourself, there is much to like here, pretty sky and water, airy trees...perhaps the trunks could be more carefully observed.

Finally, my contribution. I chose one of Don's pics that had very airy trees and found capturing that quite a struggle...sky holes in...sky holes out
You'll find the bottom half of my photo is darker than the original but if I lighten it the sky becomes washed out...tricky business taking photos of pastels???

Rembrandts, Senneliers, Richesons on 1000 grit sandpaper.
C&Cs welcome.

SaveSaveSave