WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:05 PM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England
Re: 3 Pups in Pastel

Excellent! I am enjoying following your progress. When I painted three dogs together, I did the eyes of each dog, then noses, then added layers to each one - I didn't paint one dog completely before moving on, but this is just one way. Other people will paint in a different order. 😎😀
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM

Penny,
Thank you for your feedback. In hind-sight, I wish I had asked the question before I started, but this has been a fun learning experience! I think that I too am wired as you to layout it out first and build on the stages of each subject at relatively the same time. I still have bit more blocking (shading?) to do on the dogs before I move onto highlights. I'll try and work the blocking and highlights of all three at the same respective stage.

But first, I need to finish my background. I started this morning and am enjoying seeing the composition come together.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,

Rob
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Enthusiast
British Columbia in the spectacular Okanagan Valley

Hails from Canada

I suggest you don't go into such detail with the background. There is really nothing to be gained by putting in such detail. You could just loosely indicate there is something in the background and it will keep the focus on the dogs. This is a case when "less is more". The dogs are really coming along very well.
Do keep updating your progress.
Cheers,
Susan
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:52 PM

Greetings from Kingwood, TX!
It has been a while since I last posted- nearly 6 months. Work, home improvements, and a new baby have limited my time at the easel, but I'm hoping my schedule will allow me some more time to draw.

Just wanted to add a couple of updates on "3 Pups" over the past 6 months.

3/18/17

7/2/17

7/3/17

9/1/17

9/4/17

Hope you enjoy the progress. Thank you for any and all constructive comments, feedback, and suggestions.

Until next time,

Rmorrisonjr

Last edited by rmorrisonjr : 09-04-2017 at 02:57 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:12 PM
Virginia

Hails from United States

great seeing your process. nice job
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-04-2017, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast
Maine, USA

Hails from United States

You may be a 1st timer with chalk pastels. I'm only a 4th timer with them. You seem to be doing a good job with them. If you can figure a good way to do whiskers, please let me know. Dark whiskers okay, white whiskers not so good. On the Lab, even though the highlight on it's eye is fairly bright in the photo, I would recommend darkening it a bit on the drawing. It is too bright, and too distracting, even in the photo. Also, don't forget to put some texture and cracks into the rock so it looks more realistic. This is going to be beautiful when done.

It is impossible to perfectly recreate that which has been perfectly created.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast
Australia

Hails from Australia

I think this is going so well and has been particularly interesting to me as this week I have started on pastel pencils too. Mostly I work in scratchboard or graphite.
I am a little concerned that you have still got a bit of a halo (green) around the dogs. I think you are doing extremely well, I hope I can do as well.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 05:25 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

You really are doing a superb job on these dogs. The green halo concerns me too. It need to be integrated into the background. Congrats on the new baby. Can't be easy trying to do such a complicated work with a little one demanding a lot of attention.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

wow, that reference is awesome, how you managed to make them sit and stay like that??? looking forward for your finished pastel drawing, looking good so far
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 08:14 AM
A Local Legend
Wiltshire, England

Hails from England

Very good to see your excellent progress. 😎
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2017, 04:55 PM

Hails from Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorrisonjr
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience(s) they can share for this 1st timer? Is it better to complete one subject at a time (to completion) or complete each stage of shading/coloring for all 3 subject at the same relative time?
Rob

I would say everything at the same time, even the background. I will help you to harmonize colors and values, and, in the long run, it is quicker.