WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: Fluid acrylic pours - cells & lacing

That's right - a little silicone goes a long way!!!

And for the record, adding substances like this may affect the final film formation and adhesion to the substrate over time. So it is definitely an experimental procedure and should not be considered "archival," which may (or may not) be a concern for artists.

Last edited by jennifervs : 06-02-2017 at 10:10 AM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2017, 06:37 AM

Smile Re: Fluid acrylic pours - cells & lacing

I also have been playing with the Fluid acrylic pours and I think I have your frustration sorted! The solution is too liquid and this is why the cells don't last. I found this out after wasting a large amount of pouring medium and paint. Are you using pouring medium? I use 50% paint and 50% pouring medium and only need a little water if any to make it the right consistency. Now I have wonderful cells that stay!
All the best and feel free to send any questions and between us I'm sure we can help each other.
Cheers
Kymmie
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM
WC! Guide
In the heart of The Pearl (Portland OR)

Hails from United States

This thread is an interesting read. So many possibilities...
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:39 AM
Cincinnati

Hails from United States

I have done about 25 of these now and they dry with plenty of cells as long as you use titanium and transparents mixed with enough Floetrol to make it the consistancy of heavy cream and then add just a couple drops of silicone it will be successfull
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2017, 02:07 AM

"Since my last post I have done a large amount of pours! My recipe has changed slightly to 1/3 paint, 1/3 pouring medium and 1/3 Floetrol. I add a little water and silicone or hair oil into the colours just before pouring. I don't mix the silicone very much in the cup as I like the larger cells. If you mix a lot then you are breaking up the silicone and will only get small cells. Hope this helps.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 PM

I've starting this technique as well and am struggling with the "recipe" to get cells. I've read all of the comments and there is nothing easy about this. I am interested in what type of pouring medium you all use and how many colors at a time. I am getting muddy results even with silicone.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:37 AM

Hi Karen, can you please explain exactly what procedure with what products your using and I'll see if I can work out why you are not getting the results you want.
Cheers Kymmie
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 AM
A Local Legend
Edmonton, where summer is just a couple of bad weeks of skating.

Hails from Canada

Typical reasons for muddy results:
1. Using wall paint that isn't 100% acrylic. Check online before you buy or use artist acrylics.
2. Too much water, Liquitex pouring medium is formulated to keep the colours separated in a pour. (I haven't experimented enough with Floetrol to comment knowedgably about it)
3. If you mix colour prior to pouring, stirring too much.
4. Using too much of an industrial silicone lubricant that has a small percentage of dimethicone and a large percentage of solvents that affect acrylic.
5. Using too much alcohol (or another solvent).
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmie
Hi Karen, can you please explain exactly what procedure with what products your using and I'll see if I can work out why you are not getting the results you want.
Cheers Kymmie
This is what worked for me:
First you take a plastic cups and prepare the color mixtures separately like this:
-First the Acrylic color you want 1 part
-Second 2-3 parts of pouring medium. I used Liquitex, if you don't use the correct pouring medium the results are not good. I tried Schmincke with bad results.
- Mix well, with a wood stick, and scrap the borders of the cup, re mix, again and again until you get a consistent color and texture.
-Lift the wood stick and if the paint does not drop, is too thick, you need to add water. Add Slowly drops of water until your consistency is of a buttermilk yogurt. It has to make some drops, but also has to stay on the wood stick.
-Bring all colors to almost the same consistency, else they sink or float over and you don't see anything interesting forming.

After preparing all the colors, then you add 4 to 8 drops of silicon and mix a bit. Do not mix or stir after this at all!!!!
Just before you pour them or make a "dirty pour" cup, you can add another 4 drops of silicone, but don't mix.
If you want to make a "dirty pour", take a paper cup (so you can squeeze it or make a v shape with it) and pour all your colors in the paper cup in the order preference.
You can pour them with height so they don't mix but combine more .
Don't take much time to let them recombine or set, just pour immediately after if possible.
Save some pour to add in other places as corners, you can use a spatula or paper to make them recombine or do shapes... you can use a creme brulette torch to make more cells appear. Some cells will form when you pour the paints in the "dirty pour", if this happens, you are for sure going to have cells ...

Have fun
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Last edited by fedetony : 08-24-2017 at 08:30 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:21 AM
Cincinnati

Hails from United States

I have had great success with just about any type of paint floetrol and silicone only. Its not that involved. All you have to do is have a variety of colors, not too dark and get the consistancy right. it has to flow easily but not too fast. I will try to upload some samples.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 09:29 AM
A Local Legend

have y'all tried "olive oil" in your pours?..and it's heathy!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Cincinnati

Hails from United States

I have had great sccess using any kind of paint including craft and house paint. the mixture I use is simply paint, Floetrol and a small bit of silicone. Just choose a variety of colors( not too dark) and get the consistancy correct. It should be able to easily flow but not like water. I will try to upload some samples.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:21 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish
have y'all tried "olive oil" in your pours?..and it's heathy!
The real oils we should try are the oils to solve oil paint... these are eventually drying and are made for that....

I Have several experiments with the silicone already. They give great cells, no need to torch either, but it helps a bit if you use it... For the cells to dry as when they are formed the mixture consistency comes to be the main player. It has to have a consistency of condensed milk (thick, but thinner than honey ). The consistency must be such that when you lift the wood stick with what you mix from the paint, pour medium and water solution, it should drop a bit, but remain in the stick as well. When is well mixed, and not before, then you add the silicone. You can stir it a bit if you want small cells (but not well stirred, just 1 turn to go inside the mixture). Anyway you can always take it off when the paint dries. Silicone is on the surface and you can just wipe it with a dry cloth.

Cells appear when the heavy fluids go lower and the light fluids go over (silicone drags paint over)... Is more likely to obtain cells if you have the heavier over the lighter. The thinner the layer over then the easier it makes cells because its displaced.

For example: Titanium White is one of the heaviest ones. You can use any other 2 colors, preferably not greens (greens becomes dominant normally). Lets say for example sake: magenta and cyan. You prepare 3 mixtures, one of each color. Add the silicone 6-8 drops to each. Now, you take an empty paper cup and you are going to put in it first some white, pour into the glass trying to separate the cups so it falls into the dirty mixture cup (height helps to introduce the paint into lower layers of the other colors). Then some cyan, then some magenta, and then again some white, and so on until you get the amount of paint you want to pour (don't put all the same color together into the dirty cup at once ). By putting first white, you are making it the color its going to come last when you pour it into your canvas. Since is the heaviest, it will try to go under enhancing the amount of cells.

Example 2: You make your pour with the colors. Now you add a bit of white, take a paper and drag it over the surface making a thin layer of white over the pour. If it has silicone, you will immediately see all the cells forming, displacing the white. This works with any color, but better with heavy ones...
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Cincinnati

Hails from United States

I get great results using just about any kind of paint. Even house paint and craft paint. Just use a variety of colors (not too dark) Floetrol and a LITTLE silicone. I use a small kitchen torch or heat gun. Mainly you have to get the consistency right. it has to flow easily but not like water. this picture is not too clear.

Last edited by Cynthia Jennings : 09-12-2017 at 10:36 AM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 AM
Cincinnati

Hails from United States

Name:  My Fav.JPG
Views: 853
Size:  35.1 KB
paint, Floetrol and silicone only