WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > Partner: Blick Art Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2016, 12:10 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
DickBlick raising shipping prices

For the past month or so I was given the option of choosing free standard shipping, standard FedEx shipping for $4.00, and so on. In the last order (that I almost paid for) they had raised the standard shipping to $4.95 and the standard FedEx shipping to $8.95 ... there was a back and forth with DickBlick over this, with them basically saying that the new pricing changes went into affect in March, which is not true because I placed orders in March using the $4.00 standard FedEx shipping feature. On the last order, I went with Utrecht for the same products and saved almost $9, and I used the standard FedEx shipping option. Hopefully this makes sense to some of you, we need to look out for one another.

My Instagram -> kristy.polymath
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2016, 12:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: DickBlick raising shipping prices

and currys raised their 200 ml oil prices from 10-15
inflation is real and shopping around is always wise

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2016, 01:46 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

And I just realized that on my first order with Utrecht I paid only $2 for FedEx shipping. Inflation isn't everywhere or to the extent that I mentioned above.

My Instagram -> kristy.polymath
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hi George,

I apologize for any miscommunication there may have been regarding the shipping charges that would have applied to your order. Based on the information you included on your first post, it appears that the confusion may be regarding a combination of free shipping and the optional upcharge for the FedEx Home delivery option.

There are usually a number of ways for most orders to qualify for free shipping at any given time, however free shipping is not standard for all orders. Our regular Best Value shipping rate actually did just go down in early March. It had previously been at an incremental rate ranging between $4.99 and $11.98, depending on the number of items in the order. On March 4th, the Best Value rate changed to a flat $4.99, regardless of the number of items in the order. That can be a significant saving for anyone who makes frequent orders. (Or wants to!)

We also offer a number of choices to upgrade to faster and/or more convenient shipping methods for most orders. Those options include FedEx Home, FedEx Fast 2 day, and FedEx One Day Air. The fees for those options have been the same for a while. They did not change in March along with the standard shipping rate.

The FedEx Home delivery upgrade option is $4.00 per order. So, for orders that qualify for free shipping and have the FedEx home option added, the $4 upcharge would be the only shipping charge.

For orders that do not qualify for free shipping and choose to add the FedEx home option, the total shipping charge would include the $4.99 flat rate plus the optional $4.00 FedEx home upgrade fee for a total of $8.99.

It sounds like your previous order would have qualified for free shipping and that you opted to upgrade to FedEx Home delivery, while your more recent order just did not qualify for free shipping. I’ll be glad to look up your previous order to see for certain, if you like? Just PM me your order number or the order name and address so I can locate your orders. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be glad to do whatever I can to help!

Best regards,

Annette
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast
Florissant, MO

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blick Art Materials
Hi George,

... it appears that the confusion may be regarding a combination of free shipping and the optional upcharge for the FedEx Home delivery option.

Annette

So, if I order enough for free delivery, I have to pay $4.00 anyway to get it delivered to my home? Where will you ship it if I don't pay the extortion - the local grocery store.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Mike!

All orders will be delivered to the shipping address specified on the order.

The $4 fee in question is for an optional upgraded delivery service which can be selected at checkout, if desired.

“FedEx Smartpost” and “Fedex Home” are just the names of two different delivery options offered by FedEx.

FedEx Smartpost is usually how most Best Value option orders will ship. The regular shipping fee for this delivery option is $4.95 per order. If the order qualifies for free shipping, then it ships to its destination at no charge.

FedEx Home delivery is an optional upgraded service that can be selected at checkout. If selected, this option adds a $4.00 delivery surcharge in addition to the regular $4.95 shipping fee, for a total shipping cost of $8.95. If the FedEx Home delivery option is selected for orders that qualify for and would otherwise ship for free using the “best value” shipping, only the $4.00 surcharge is then charged for the upgraded service level, for a total shipping cost of $4.00.

We hope this information has been helpful!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I must say, the above is very confusing. And the website is a bit confusing also.

Do I understand it correctly (I looked at the "shipping" guidelines under Customer Service):

There is no free shipping on any orders under $119.00. Free shipping applies only to orders that have met that minimum. Correct?

Free shipping is by US mail only, is that correct?

And the free shipping is "no signature required" - just drop-off. Correct?

From there, the Fed Ex options begin for faster or more secure shipping.

The "free shipping on your favorite brands" if you include one of those spotlighted products in your order (which I assume must STILL meet the $119 minimum) is misleading, and you should change it. There is an asterisk on that page right after the word "Free", but scrolling all the way through the page, I don't see any footnote which would accompany the asterisk.

It looks like there's some bait & switch going on at your website as far as representing shipping costs, and I think it should be clarified. Not ethical, and in the past, DB did not do that, the policy was presented in a more straightforward way.

Thanks, Cathy
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Colorado

I don't think there are any tricks going on there, Cathy - in my experience with DB, the current "featured products" kind of shipping deals override the minimum dollar amount requirement for free shipping on an order.

There are also weekly or monthly coupons available, and these too often lower the minimum dollar requirement.

You may be right that the explanation is confusing or incomplete.

(I'm not affiliated with DB in any way, except as a customer whose experience with them has always been good.)

Kos
Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone

Last edited by Kosmon : 07-30-2016 at 02:25 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2016, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks, Kos.
But I was hoping for a response from Blick Art Materials. Don't understand. It's nice of you to speak up on their behalf, though.

I hope they will eventually respond and clarify their polici(ie)s.

Cathy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Colorado

K
Root, Bone, Sticks & Stone
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Cathy,

We appreciate your feedback regarding the Shipping Information section of our website, and I apologize that you find it confusing. Due to the wide range of delivery options and destinations that we ship to, there’s not a simple one-size-fits-all shipping method and there is a lot of information that needs to be covered, so that page is a little busy. We will review our shipping page though and see if there might be a way to streamline that information. With that in mind, I’m happy to try to answer any questions you may have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusher
There is no free shipping on any orders under $119.00. Free shipping applies only to orders that have met that minimum. Correct?
The "free shipping on your favorite brands" if you include one of those spotlighted products in your order (which I assume must STILL meet the $119 minimum) is misleading, and you should change it.
There are exceptions to the $119 minimum-
●There are often special offer codes that include a free shipping offer at a lower dollar amount than the regular $119 free shipping threshold.
●The “Free Shipping on your Favorite Brands” special offers also do NOT require the $119 minimum. If the specified products and quantities are purchased to meet the terms of the offer, and if the order includes other items that are eligible for free shipping (meaning they would not be excluded from free shipping for being too large, too heavy, or are factory shipped items, etc), the entire order ships for free.
Quote:
There is an asterisk on that page right after the word "Free", but scrolling all the way through the page, I don't see any footnote which would accompany the asterisk.
You are correct – there does seem to be something missing and we will have this fixed. There should either be an explanation of the offer included there or a link to a page containing that information. Thank you for bringing that to our attention!

Quote:
Free shipping is by US mail only, is that correct?
And the free shipping is "no signature required" - just drop-off. Correct?
From there, the Fed Ex options begin for faster or more secure shipping.

Orders qualifying for free shipping are shipped the “Best value” way which, in most cases, is FedEx Smartpost.
●Smartpost is a partnership between FedEx and the USPS; FedEx handles the shipping up to the local area of the delivery and then hands the package off to the USPS to complete the delivery to your home.
●FedEx Home is where FedEx handles the complete process and the package is delivered to your doorstep directly by FedEx. This method may offer delivery a few days faster than the Smartpost option, however it is not available for delivery to PO Boxes.
In both cases, these are “no signature required” deliveries to most addresses.

Quote:
It looks like there's some bait & switch going on at your website as far as representing shipping costs, and I think it should be clarified. Not ethical, and in the past, DB did not do that, the policy was presented in a more straightforward way.

I’m not sure what you mean by “bait & switch”. If you can provide more details of what you are referring to, I’ll be glad to address that as well.
Thanks again for your feedback, and please let us know if you have more questions!

~Annette

Last edited by Blick Art Materials : 08-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Since then, I've been putting in test orders on your website (but not logged into my account), to see what happens.

- It's good that the footnote explanation is now on the "Free Shipping on Favorite Brands" page, and I see that omission has been corrected. Thanks.

- The "Free Shipping on Favorite Brands" front page certainly makes it look like you can mix & match from among these brands. You cannot. It is necessary to order $45 worth from each different brand, to qualify for free shipping. At one point I had about $80 worth of acrylic paint and 2 brushes, and still there was a $4.95 shipping charge.
To me, this is a bait-and-switch.

- I did the tests with Golden Acrylics paint. It looks like the starter set, even the small one, does not qualify as eligible for part of the order to meet the $45 minimum. I put it in, took it out, brought it back the next day, and took it out again. Although they too are Golden Acrylics, the starter sets are not eligible, and there's no icon or statement to say that they are not.

- Lastly, I see that each product frame on the "Free Shipping on Favorite Brands" front page is individually carefully worded - the Winsor & Newton and Grumbacher frames state that other products (including sets) are eligible for this offer. The other frame narratives state only that maker's paints, brushes, or whatever, nothing more. This is an omission that is deliberate on the front page, and misleading to the customer. This was demonstrated by the Golden paint starter set not qualifying, although they are Golden paints.

It looks like DB was able to negotiate lower prices for a range of products for some makers, but not for all of them featured on the "Free Shipping on Favorite Brands" page. This results in a misleading series of clicking around and seeing a "surprise" fee for shipping - indeed no "free shipping" at all - without it being made clear what the reason is. It is very confusing for an online customer, who doesn't understand or is not aware of the retail business reasoning for such selective free shipping offers.

This concerns me now that it has been called to my attention by this thread. I hadn't ordered from DB for a couple of years and was not aware this was going on. I think that DB should simplify or clearly state a consistent shipping policy, whatever it is. Above are 3 examples of bait-and-switch, and that's only on this one particular deals page!

I am aware that Amazon is doing the same thing. Well I have stopped ordering from them also, as it's very off-putting. Bad business in my opinion, and I hope DB will consider a more streamlined, easier to understand way of promoting products that it sells, instead of luring customers with the bait of free shipping, and then the switch of many, many items being ineligible. It seems arbitrary, but of course is anything but. It is a sales platform that has been designed to ensure the likelihood that a customer will end up paying a shipping fee after all, out of frustration and a desire to still save a couple of dollars. Why not be honest at the start, without leading customers down a merry path?

Thanks,
Cathy
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM

I had the similar problem with Canada Post , always had to overway for small packages ( usually ordered some items from US etsy to Canada ). Now I just changed delivering company to another , and I don't regret.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Cathy,

Thanks again for the additional information! There’s no attempt to deceive anyone with these offers, and we do try to make them as clear as possible in the limited space available.

The “Free shipping on your Favorite Brands“ offers are individual promotional offers set by the individual brand vendors, in hopes of getting customers to purchase more of their brand. Everything on that page is eligible for the free shipping offer stated as long as the requirements of the individual offer are satisfied.

The offers are grouped together on a page with similar offers, as are clearance offers and various other promotions on other pages, however “Mix and Match” is a specific type of offer or element of an offer, and would be clearly spelled out when it applies. We really appreciate your feedback on this though. If we ever get a lot of comments about an offer not being clear, we would certainly take steps to clarify it.

As you point out, each individual offer is carefully worded with the specific requirement of the offer. Some offers are more inclusive than others and some are very specific, but all are pretty straight forward.

For example, the Princeton Brush offer states “Free shipping with your $45 purchase of Princeton brushes.” This would include any Princeton brand brush and/or Princeton brand brush set.

The Gamblin offer states “Free shipping with your $45 purchase of Gamblin products.” There is no restriction noted so this means a purchase totaling $45 of any Gamblin branded product will qualify for this offer.

The Canson offer states "Free shipping with your $45 purchase of Canson XL pads!" so this offer is limited to just the XL pads, and does not include other Canson products.

Each offer does also have its own special code that’s required to be entered in the cart to activate the offer. If you are certain you've met all of the requirements and your order still isn't reflecting the correct discount or shipping, please double check the code that was entered in the cart.

Occasionally there are glitches or errors. We try to do everything possible to ensure that problems don't occur, but they sometimes still do. And while we can’t prevent every one, we can do our best to make it right. If you find something that isn't working right, please let us know! We truly do appreciate finding out when there are problems so we can fix it and learn from it.

Thanks again for your feedback!
~Annette