WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2015, 06:59 PM
A Local Legend
I am lucky enough to live near Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Fault.

Hails from United States
Re: WetCanvas is dying

I must admit a couple of years ago I was contacted by a moderator (do not remember which forum, exactly, and that is not important) who said I should not "lurk" or just browse forums, and more or less told me I should be posting "encouragement" for other artists. I was a little put off by this, as I am one who can't just say "Lovely painting" if it isn't. Sorry. So I would try to start with a positive, then make a suggestion. I got blasted for making unsolicited suggestions! No artist, be they wobbly beginner or seasoned and salable, is so good that they do not benefit from challenges and growth.

I am by no means perfect, prolific, or profitable as an artist. But this does not mean that my artist's eye is incapable to seeing strengths and weaknesses in others' work, as well as my own (but usually after a bit of time, like many artists.) And frankly it is hard to not want to push and encourage growth when post after post is of paintings/drawings so obviously derivative of photographs that one wonders if anyone has ever suggested drawing from life, daily sketching, or putting away the reference photos for a bit. Abstract artists tend to not have as much issue with this as those seeking to make paintings that look so real, so much like the photos they were created from, that the comments must reflect it. There are some mediums that lend themselves to artists copying their reference photos instead of using them as starting points, and I have found myself visiting those forums less and less. It is one reason I have lost some interest in colored pencil, the medium that got me back into the art world. (Well that, and increasingly disabling arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands )

And I got tired of looking at endless tigers, fan art, and celebrity portraits. It is hard to continue to find new ways to give positive feedback when the artist isn't even willing to try something outside their current comfort zone.

And the use of clearly copyrighted material . . . do get me started! Even if you must paint from photos . . . for gosh sakes, take your own! Or use them for inspiration . . . but if I see one more National Geo's "Afghan Girl" getting praised up and down, I am going to barf. The photographer did all the work on that one, and it is amazing . . . but there are interesting faces all over the place that one can paint without ripping off iconic ones. Just look in the mirror -- there's the perfect model if you wish to develop your seeing, drawing, and painting skills! (In fact, one of my favorite self-portraits was done as a challenge here on WetCanvas!)

There . . . you have my gut-honest, unabridged, and maybe even rough-around-the-edges take on why W/C! may be slipping in the eyes of some. It could be because some of use have outgrown the repetitious request for praise by many beginning artists for works/studies that most of us file away or toss on our way to creating something original, using skills we have painstakingly developed over the years. I don't know. Just my opinion . . .

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/

Last edited by ArtSavesLives : 06-28-2015 at 07:27 PM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from New Zealand

Need to move with the times.
Where are the metal and wood sub forums.
When was the best of threads updated last?
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Iowa

Hails from United States

Im new here and stumbled on to this topic while looking for information on how to post my drawing for critique. While I know next to nothing about building a website, this one looks very cluttered to me and a bit confusing. So I can say one thing for sure is how muddled things seem. My suggestion would be to have the basic info on how to do the basic stuff here, right on the first page, at the top, in plain view. Make it easier for a beginner. Its like when you open a new product that you bought and the instructions are right there to help you get started. I am determined to further my new found art abilities so I will continue my long search on how to operate this site, But many other will not bother.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks for the comment James and welcome to the forum.

This is a very old site, created in 1998 and the forum software is very old. Admins and moderators have no influence on the owners and are just as fri=ustrated when facilities don't work any longer. Unfortunately there is a huge amount of information on this site which would be very difficut to migrate to different forum software.

There is a NEWBIES link in my signature which should help with the site.

Doug
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I haven't been on in some time but only because every time I tried to upload my images they were grayed out so I contacted WC a number of times and they kept saying that everything looked fine and I should contact them if it continues. Well it is an ongoing thing and I know it's not my computer because I don't have this problem anywhere but here. I'm going to try again and will see.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

If you are using an Apple, you have to change the file extension to .jpeg to upload them.

Doug
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 PM

Hails from Canada

Thanks Doug. I will try that although I've been using a Mac for years and never had this problem before but this may be the trick.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Every change in the Mac OS has its own problems.

Doug
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Hails from Canada

So Doug - I just checked all my files and they are all.jpg and I tried saving them as .jpeg and apparently the computer reads them the same but again they are all grayed out and this only happens on WC. Any suggestions?
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Make sure the filetype in the uploader box is "All Files" and not GIF.

Doug
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2015, 08:12 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

The forum I moderate has gone from about 5-10 daily posts to about 1 or 2 a week. Facebook groups have taken the place of WC I guess, as the facebook group on my medium is very active. I actually think the format for WC is better for getting real feedback, but what can you do if no one is there?

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Southeast USA

I am new here but I know some other forums I used to frequent are also dying. Most people use Facebook for practically all web communication. Some people use only tablets or phones to access the internet. Forums like this are hard to read on a phone.

I have a 24-year-old son. He gets feedback on his art by sharing it on Facebook and Instagram. He gets inspiration from those some places. I think he would be put off by having to sign up for a forum that is not linked to social media. He also would not want to have to upload his pictures from his phone to the PC to be able to post them. He goes to youtube to learn about anything (art, cooking, cars).
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

In that case your son should post to the Wetcanvas Community page on Facebook.

It is difficult to find another forum where there is so much advice and reference material as there is on wetcanvas, including thousands of photographs in the Reference Image Library.

Doug
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Alabama

Hails from United States

I like Wetcanvas, but I wish there was more consistency in the structure of each forum. For instance, the drawing forum is organized in a completely different way from the watercolor forum. And it always makes me anxious when I see a subforum marked "DO NOT MAKE NEW THREADS HERE". I know it's for the most useful threads, but it makes me feel like I have to be really careful about where I post if I don't want to get in trouble.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

I know what you mean. The layout of the different forums is decided by the users of that forum. Some forum have closed sub forums where the moderators put useful threads from other parts of the forum so they can be found by members at any time.

In watercolours we have compendium threads comprising LINKS to useful threads which can be accessed at any time. See the Watercolor Handbook, Demos and Workshops links in my signature.

Doug