WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego

Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

And I have to add, not sure that it matters, but they are not trapped to make our brushes specifically, they are made into coats and boots and purses and stoles. The brushes are made from the scraps from that, which are collected and resold.

Much like how the pigment industry caters to the automotive and industrial sectors, our use is secondary, if all artists stopped buying brushes it really would not affect anything for these animals. ( and the farmers would still want to kill them since they are pests that kill livestock, don't think they have many predators besides man )
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantmeyer
I got the perla signature set "Joseph Zbukvic Signature Brush Set 1" - a #8, a #12 and a #10 travel round. I got it because I wanted to have a good travel round ( that is my first one which is full sized ) and also wanted a #8 perla so I can compare different fibers. Been hearing lots of good things about this line of brushes over the year. ( It also was via a amazon gift card so this seemed like a good option, and $40 I think is one of the cheapest sets they sell )

Very nice brushes which are stiffer than the versatil and neptunes, but still pretty soft. Very sharp tips which help with doing details. I am seeing myself reach for them more and more, especially when I need to activate paint in my pans.

Can you let us know how you like the number 10 travel round? I need a travel brush but I wasn't sure whether to go with a faux squirrel or a faux sable blend. (or both) And I'd feel like I'd still need a quill for washes. .. lol.

I just ordered bigger sizes-- #6 Neptune quill, #12 Perla and Neptune, #10 Loew Cornell Ultra round (that I will use for a travel brush as it is cheap but good enough), and White Sable Robert Simmons which I am going to try to use to wet my neocolor 2 crayon.

I'm glad this thread is titled "brush addicts"! Guilty as charged!

Last edited by oramasha : 06-30-2015 at 04:46 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM
San Diego

Hails from United States

I like the shape, travel brush format is something I am in love with. Once it's cap is on the back it's just like a normal brush, it's actually substantial and well balanced, much better than I thought. I wanted to find this out before I got any other escoda travel brushes which I'd assume have the same handle. The little sceptre ones you can get in cotman sets I don't like at all.

I think I'd prefer another fiber though if I could only have one brush, but it's probably one of the best "generic" synthetics, only a few seem to be better which I am also using, and I've got a large number of #8 rounds I can use to compare. It's a nice addition to those other brushes though - the versatil fiber and neptune fiber i like a lot better, this is a bit stiffer which means it can do light scrubbing better, and its tip is really really sharp, so it's another tool for doing other jobs. The fact I am using it a lot really says everything.

I have a hundred dollars in my dickblick shopping cart ( when I win the lottery it's my first purchase, its been there for 6 months so its more a wishlist than anything I am getting soon ), that includes a versatil travel round and a Isabey squirrel travel round. I am thinking once I get those two, that set of three brushes, small, medium, and large, along with a waterbrush and flashlight will be my sketching kit and I'll be making some sort of tiny case for them.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantmeyer
I like the shape, travel brush format is something I am in love with. Once it's cap is on the back it's just like a normal brush, it's actually substantial and well balanced, much better than I thought. I wanted to find this out before I got any other escoda travel brushes which I'd assume have the same handle. The little sceptre ones you can get in cotman sets I don't like at all.

I think I'd prefer another fiber though if I could only have one brush, but it's probably one of the best "generic" synthetics, only a few seem to be better which I am also using, and I've got a large number of #8 rounds I can use to compare. It's a nice addition to those other brushes though - the versatil fiber and neptune fiber i like a lot better, this is a bit stiffer which means it can do light scrubbing better, and its tip is really really sharp, so it's another tool for doing other jobs. The fact I am using it a lot really says everything.

I have a hundred dollars in my dickblick shopping cart ( when I win the lottery it's my first purchase, its been there for 6 months so its more a wishlist than anything I am getting soon ), that includes a versatil travel round and a Isabey squirrel travel round. I am thinking once I get those two, that set of three brushes, small, medium, and large, along with a waterbrush and flashlight will be my sketching kit and I'll be making some sort of tiny case for them.

Yes, I was surprised you didn't go for the Versatil travel brush first. (softer)

I wish Versatil made a number 14 round travel brush. I have a feeling that I'll think the number 12 is too small as that brand runs small.

I really want a travel brush (for the sake of a cap), too.

Last edited by oramasha : 06-30-2015 at 06:12 PM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Does anyone use Hake brushes? Is it better to have a metal or wood ferrule?
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States

Oramasha, if you're interested in a Perla travel brush, I'm pretty sure Jackson's Artica line is exactly that. They're white toray nylon synthetics made in Barcelona and look just like the Perlas - If I had to hazard a guess Escoda makes them. http://www.jacksonsart.com/Brands-A-...330/index.html
Rosemary & Co has excellent travel brushes that are worth checking out as well.

Re: hake or metal ferrule, I haven't noticed much difference in either one, to be honest.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 AM
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Jackson's Artica are indeed Escoda Perla brushes. I have couple of Versatil travel brushes, a 12 and an 8 and love them. I would really like an Isabey Travel Squirrel Mop but we can't buy in NZ and not even in Europe. They seem to only be available in the USA and when I tried to order from Blicks, they refused to supply it on the basis that under US law, they couldn't export real hair. If you can figure that out, you're doing better than me.

Chris
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 05:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria

Hails from Austria

[email protected]

Plein Air is now on high seasson here ..still misssing a nice reverse Petit gris Nr.1 and found this handmade brushes on a small German Brush makers page ..

May worth to fill up my Plein Air Kolinsky brush pouch .

or this one ..

Cheers W.P.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Baltimore Maryland

Hails from United States
Thumbs down Re: Brush Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pen
[email protected]

Plein Air is now on high seasson here ..still misssing a nice reverse Petit gris Nr.1 and found this handmade brushes on a small German Brush makers page ..

May worth to fill up my Plein Air Kolinsky brush pouch .

or this one ..

Cheers W.P.

nice looking brushes
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Kolkata

Hails from India

Nice looking, but I always wonder... how do those natural hairs dry if they are capped? Do the caps have holes? Does one frantically set then out to dry when back home?

I use waterbrushes (sometimes unfilled) so I generally forget I have them in the bag, till a few days have passed...
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
Nice looking, but I always wonder... how do those natural hairs dry if they are capped? Do the caps have holes? Does one frantically set then out to dry when back home?

I use waterbrushes (sometimes unfilled) so I generally forget I have them in the bag, till a few days have passed...

My travel brushes have holes on the top of the caps. I have Escoda, Rembrandt and the small Winsor Newton.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast
Toronto, Canada

Hails from Canada

These brushes looks very much like nail brushes I ordered on ebay.
I'm sure they are of better quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6pcs-Acrylic-Nail-Art-Tips-Brush-Sable-Detachable-Lid-Hideaway-Builder-Pens-set-/351142893781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c1bf 58d5
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 AM
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria

Hails from Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgonzaga
These brushes looks very much like nail brushes I ordered on ebay.
I'm sure they are of better quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6pcs-Acrylic-...em51c1bf 58d5

You´r quite right the short tonque of the first one is a Nailbrush called Blümchen , the second one too booth looks good to me for detail work on Plein Air work.
The first brush has a print on link , to there HP , which holds a hughe range of handmade brushes saddly it´s only writen in German .
The Maker carry out he can handle bulding single individual Brushes & pimp ups like replacing worn out - odd handles .

Just a short Info´s for Brush Addicts to look at.

Cheers W.P.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2015, 05:11 PM

Has anyone tried the Princeton sables 7050? I bought a size 10 for $24, and I'm tempted to go pick up some more. I'm trying to figure out how to care for this brush. Would love tips on caring and drying.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Western MA

Hails from United States

I got these travel brushes from Dick Blick recently - I like them, convenient, and with the metal they travel well too.
http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Se...007973.utrecht

Good price on sale too.
Suzy