WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM
briantmeyer briantmeyer is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,299
 
Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

And I have to add, not sure that it matters, but they are not trapped to make our brushes specifically, they are made into coats and boots and purses and stoles. The brushes are made from the scraps from that, which are collected and resold.

Much like how the pigment industry caters to the automotive and industrial sectors, our use is secondary, if all artists stopped buying brushes it really would not affect anything for these animals. ( and the farmers would still want to kill them since they are pests that kill livestock, don't think they have many predators besides man )
Reply With Quote
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 04:43 PM
oramasha's Avatar
oramasha oramasha is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,092
 
Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantmeyer
I got the perla signature set "Joseph Zbukvic Signature Brush Set 1" - a #8, a #12 and a #10 travel round. I got it because I wanted to have a good travel round ( that is my first one which is full sized ) and also wanted a #8 perla so I can compare different fibers. Been hearing lots of good things about this line of brushes over the year. ( It also was via a amazon gift card so this seemed like a good option, and $40 I think is one of the cheapest sets they sell )

Very nice brushes which are stiffer than the versatil and neptunes, but still pretty soft. Very sharp tips which help with doing details. I am seeing myself reach for them more and more, especially when I need to activate paint in my pans.

Can you let us know how you like the number 10 travel round? I need a travel brush but I wasn't sure whether to go with a faux squirrel or a faux sable blend. (or both) And I'd feel like I'd still need a quill for washes. .. lol.

I just ordered bigger sizes-- #6 Neptune quill, #12 Perla and Neptune, #10 Loew Cornell Ultra round (that I will use for a travel brush as it is cheap but good enough), and White Sable Robert Simmons which I am going to try to use to wet my neocolor 2 crayon.

I'm glad this thread is titled "brush addicts"! Guilty as charged!

Last edited by oramasha : 06-30-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 PM
briantmeyer briantmeyer is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,299
 
Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

I like the shape, travel brush format is something I am in love with. Once it's cap is on the back it's just like a normal brush, it's actually substantial and well balanced, much better than I thought. I wanted to find this out before I got any other escoda travel brushes which I'd assume have the same handle. The little sceptre ones you can get in cotman sets I don't like at all.

I think I'd prefer another fiber though if I could only have one brush, but it's probably one of the best "generic" synthetics, only a few seem to be better which I am also using, and I've got a large number of #8 rounds I can use to compare. It's a nice addition to those other brushes though - the versatil fiber and neptune fiber i like a lot better, this is a bit stiffer which means it can do light scrubbing better, and its tip is really really sharp, so it's another tool for doing other jobs. The fact I am using it a lot really says everything.

I have a hundred dollars in my dickblick shopping cart ( when I win the lottery it's my first purchase, its been there for 6 months so its more a wishlist than anything I am getting soon ), that includes a versatil travel round and a Isabey squirrel travel round. I am thinking once I get those two, that set of three brushes, small, medium, and large, along with a waterbrush and flashlight will be my sketching kit and I'll be making some sort of tiny case for them.
Reply With Quote
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
oramasha's Avatar
oramasha oramasha is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,092
 
Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantmeyer
I like the shape, travel brush format is something I am in love with. Once it's cap is on the back it's just like a normal brush, it's actually substantial and well balanced, much better than I thought. I wanted to find this out before I got any other escoda travel brushes which I'd assume have the same handle. The little sceptre ones you can get in cotman sets I don't like at all.

I think I'd prefer another fiber though if I could only have one brush, but it's probably one of the best "generic" synthetics, only a few seem to be better which I am also using, and I've got a large number of #8 rounds I can use to compare. It's a nice addition to those other brushes though - the versatil fiber and neptune fiber i like a lot better, this is a bit stiffer which means it can do light scrubbing better, and its tip is really really sharp, so it's another tool for doing other jobs. The fact I am using it a lot really says everything.

I have a hundred dollars in my dickblick shopping cart ( when I win the lottery it's my first purchase, its been there for 6 months so its more a wishlist than anything I am getting soon ), that includes a versatil travel round and a Isabey squirrel travel round. I am thinking once I get those two, that set of three brushes, small, medium, and large, along with a waterbrush and flashlight will be my sketching kit and I'll be making some sort of tiny case for them.

Yes, I was surprised you didn't go for the Versatil travel brush first. (softer)

I wish Versatil made a number 14 round travel brush. I have a feeling that I'll think the number 12 is too small as that brand runs small.

I really want a travel brush (for the sake of a cap), too.

Last edited by oramasha : 06-30-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 AM
oramasha's Avatar
oramasha oramasha is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,092
 
Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

Does anyone use Hake brushes? Is it better to have a metal or wood ferrule?
Reply With Quote
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Superturtle's Avatar
Superturtle Superturtle is offline
Veteran Member
Washington
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 817
 
Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

Oramasha, if you're interested in a Perla travel brush, I'm pretty sure Jackson's Artica line is exactly that. They're white toray nylon synthetics made in Barcelona and look just like the Perlas - If I had to hazard a guess Escoda makes them. http://www.jacksonsart.com/Brands-A-...330/index.html
Rosemary & Co has excellent travel brushes that are worth checking out as well.

Re: hake or metal ferrule, I haven't noticed much difference in either one, to be honest.
Reply With Quote
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 AM
North North is offline
New Member
New Zealand
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 41
 
Hails from New Zealand
Re: Brush Addicts

Jackson's Artica are indeed Escoda Perla brushes. I have couple of Versatil travel brushes, a 12 and an 8 and love them. I would really like an Isabey Travel Squirrel Mop but we can't buy in NZ and not even in Europe. They seem to only be available in the USA and when I tried to order from Blicks, they refused to supply it on the basis that under US law, they couldn't export real hair. If you can figure that out, you're doing better than me.

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 05:48 AM
White Pen's Avatar
White Pen White Pen is offline
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,408
 
Hails from Austria
Re: Brush Addicts

[email protected]

Plein Air is now on high seasson here ..still misssing a nice reverse Petit gris Nr.1 and found this handmade brushes on a small German Brush makers page ..

May worth to fill up my Plein Air Kolinsky brush pouch .




or this one ..



Cheers W.P.
__________________
Humor is just another defense against the universe......... more at Schokohund
Reply With Quote
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 AM
Jmurman's Avatar
Jmurman Jmurman is offline
Senior Member
Baltimore Maryland
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 370
 
Hails from United States
Thumbs down Re: Brush Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pen
[email protected]

Plein Air is now on high seasson here ..still misssing a nice reverse Petit gris Nr.1 and found this handmade brushes on a small German Brush makers page ..

May worth to fill up my Plein Air Kolinsky brush pouch .




or this one ..



Cheers W.P.

nice looking brushes
__________________
I post some of my photography on my blog
Reply With Quote
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 PM
indraneel indraneel is offline
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Kolkata
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,628
 
Hails from India
Re: Brush Addicts

Nice looking, but I always wonder... how do those natural hairs dry if they are capped? Do the caps have holes? Does one frantically set then out to dry when back home?

I use waterbrushes (sometimes unfilled) so I generally forget I have them in the bag, till a few days have passed...
Reply With Quote
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 04:42 PM
Minerva C's Avatar
Minerva C Minerva C is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,802
 
Re: Brush Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraneel
Nice looking, but I always wonder... how do those natural hairs dry if they are capped? Do the caps have holes? Does one frantically set then out to dry when back home?

I use waterbrushes (sometimes unfilled) so I generally forget I have them in the bag, till a few days have passed...

My travel brushes have holes on the top of the caps. I have Escoda, Rembrandt and the small Winsor Newton.
Reply With Quote
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
cgonzaga's Avatar
cgonzaga cgonzaga is offline
Enthusiast
Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,039
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Brush Addicts

These brushes looks very much like nail brushes I ordered on ebay.
I'm sure they are of better quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6pcs-Acrylic-Nail-Art-Tips-Brush-Sable-Detachable-Lid-Hideaway-Builder-Pens-set-/351142893781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c1bf 58d5
__________________
Website: http://chito-gonzaga.artistwebsites.com/
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters point the other way. (from a fortune cookie)
Reply With Quote
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2015, 04:25 AM
White Pen's Avatar
White Pen White Pen is offline
Lord of the Arts
Green heart of Austria
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,408
 
Hails from Austria
Re: Brush Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgonzaga
These brushes looks very much like nail brushes I ordered on ebay.
I'm sure they are of better quality.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/6pcs-Acrylic-...em51c1bf 58d5


You´r quite right the short tonque of the first one is a Nailbrush called Blümchen , the second one too booth looks good to me for detail work on Plein Air work.
The first brush has a print on link , to there HP , which holds a hughe range of handmade brushes saddly it´s only writen in German .
The Maker carry out he can handle bulding single individual Brushes & pimp ups like replacing worn out - odd handles .

Just a short Info´s for Brush Addicts to look at.

Cheers W.P.
__________________
Humor is just another defense against the universe......... more at Schokohund
Reply With Quote
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2015, 05:11 PM
aprilquilts aprilquilts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 114
 
Re: Brush Addicts

Has anyone tried the Princeton sables 7050? I bought a size 10 for $24, and I'm tempted to go pick up some more. I'm trying to figure out how to care for this brush. Would love tips on caring and drying.
Reply With Quote
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2015, 01:38 PM
SAS Designs SAS Designs is offline
Veteran Member
Western MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 564
 
Hails from United States
Re: Brush Addicts

I got these travel brushes from Dick Blick recently - I like them, convenient, and with the metal they travel well too.
http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Se...007973.utrecht

Good price on sale too.
Suzy
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.