WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States
Daffodils and Lemons in color...WIP - FINISHED

A while ago I painted this still life in black and white. It was an exercise in painting values and I enjoyed it. Now I'm going to tackle the same set up in color. I'm going to try to better explain the struggles of the early stages for anyone who is new to this forum. Hello, Charles!
I'm using La Carte sanded paper. I begin my drawing on cheap paper, trace it, apply pastel or charcoal to the back of the tracing, place it on my good paper and transfer (trace) the drawing. I learned this from Dianna Ponting and it preserves the surface of my paper for painting. Before, I would have drawn on the paper, smudged, erased and otherwise tampered with the texture before I got to the painting.

This is my least favorite part, as I begin to fill in the tooth with NuPastels. I'm just playing around with color and some values.

Now I bring in my Unisons and Ludwigs and get serious. It's back and forth, push and pull, with value and color. I step back periodically to check that I have pushed the far left daffodil back and bring other flowers forward with lighter values.

At this point, I've darkened the value of that far left flower, to push it back ever so slightly. Some dark value, soft edged leaves come into play to give the bouquet a little more depth. I'm bored so I jump to the lemons, again laying in my hardpastels.

I come back over the initial layer with my softies. Compare the left lemon to the right lemon. In order to create texture you could drag your pinkie finger over your soft pastel, then gently tap that color on to the lemon.
As always, I welcome C & C. Every painting is another learning experience.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Enthusiast
France

Hails from France
Re: Daffodils and Lemons in color...WIP

Thank you Karen . It is so generous of you to have thought of this painting session for the beginners. It is wonderful and I do not know how to thank you enough for this.

One question though, to apply the pastel at various stages did you use your finger or the colour shaper ?

a grateful Charles
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

This is looking wonderful so far Karen. I am enjoying your process, thanks so much for sharing it with us. Your dark background is so juicy, what are you using for it? I'm assuming Ludwigs.....? I have a sheet of LaCarte, you are encouraging me to pull it out. I've had an idea for a while now.... gotta get goin' on it! Love this, can't wait to see more!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Charles, I am using a sanded paper. I break my hard pastels in to 1 to 2" pieces ( a few cm's) and apply by using them on their sides, If it is a small area, the tip can be used. I don't blend at that point except by overlapping some of the strokes. I wait until I start to layer the softer pastels, then I use my finger tips. You could also use a hard pastel, pastel pencil or another soft pastel to blend. Just find a technique that works for you. Many pastel artist do not blend.
Chris, I use a charcoal stick for large dark areas, just to start to fill the tooth of the paper. Then I come in with my Ludwigs to finish the job. I keep going back to the La Carte because I like the texture...just beware of water. I have heard that La Carte may be coming out with a paper that will accept a wash, but I do not have confirmation on that.

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast
Alaska

Hails from United States

This is looking gorgeous already! Enjoying following the process! Thank you!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

This is coming along great Karen, looking foward to the finish.

David
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 PM
A WC! Legend
Seattle

Hails from United States

Karen loving the detail, the intense dark with the yellow and the compositional elements. Yum Barb

www.MorninNoonanNight.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ozarks

Hails from United States

This is going to be soooo dramatic. Love it, love it. Thanks for WIP, it's great.

Tanja

You may view my art at ~ www.tanjawareart.com
"Find out who you are and do it on purpose." - Dolly Parton
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

You are working about another very beautiful pastel.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Oh, how I love a good WIP - I am learning a lot from this already, and I am excited to see it progress. Thank you so much for sharing this.

Meanwhile, I am just beginning my experimentation with paper and refuse to try La Carte because of the water thing - if one ill-timed sneeze can ruin my work, I'm simply not going to bother when there are so many good alternatives. But I am very encouraged that there may be a water-friendly version soon, as that is the only thing keeping me from giving it a shot. Will keep my ears open for news on that.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2012, 11:31 AM
A Local Legend
Johnstown, Pa.

Hails from United States

Hi Karen

Wonderful WIP. Winter is not here yet but your painting makes me long for spring...and lemonade.

This is Gorgeous--thanks for teaching us along the way!
Anxious to see the vase and lemon bowl!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Thank you for following along.
Grinner, I've used La Carte for 7 or 8 years and have only had one accident with a sneeze. A little Gesso and pumice fixed the small area that disolved. But, for sure, a new and improved version would be nice. I just hope that it's the same texture
Judi, honestly, the vase is not the most difficult element to paint. To paint glass, you have to paint what is behind that vase. That is the background to consider first. Then, what is behind the front of the vase? In this case, the stems of the flowers. Lastly, paint the bits of reflected light.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
looking good !

? does la carte and a stump/tortillon work together
to soften edges ?

the deep dark solid b/g can pale flowers ...
your adjustments look good for some high-key sticks .

Ed :}
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM
san diego, ca

Hails from United States

Hi Ed! The b/g won't be solid when I finish, and I'm still considering how to finish it.. I've never found stumps helpful on La Carte, but those rubber color shapers seem to work for me.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Hey Surfer:
This is progressing so well.......a real beauty.

Derek