WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a new icon for 'bloody/violent' works?
Yes, good idea 27 65.85%
I don't think it's necessary 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Kelly asked that somebody put the link to that thread here...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...pagenu mber=1

-=- Jen "There 'tis" de la Cruz
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 08:29 PM
A Local Legend
Indiana

Hails from United States
That debate is precisely why we need a new icon. That thread SHOULD have a warning label on it, I for one started reading it thinking it was about something chemical. This has nothing to do with what is art, what isn't art, what is censored, what isn't censored...blah blah BLAH. This has to do with folks who actually have standards in their lives, and who choose NOT to expose themselves or their children, grandchildren, etc. to such material. There are MANY people of ALL ages who visit this site, some of the younger ones whom we know for a fact are supervised by adult members. How many times have we read something like 'typing one handed with so & so on my lap" or "this is my daughter/son's drawing/painting, please give input" It's to give those members a 'heads up' about posts, so that if they choose to open them and review before having their youngsters around, they can do so and THEN decide what is appropriate for them. I applaud those folks who view WetCanvas or ANY internet site with their children. That's the best 'net nanny' around .

We all have common sense about us, as to what is questionable and what isn't. We all KNOW when something is borderline, we don't have to have someone point it out to us.

I think the idea of the hand is great. It's a simple warning, stop, this may contain sensitive material for some viewers. It's not a judgement call, and no works are being censored.

Let's all take a moment and think about this issue in a world-wide, all-encompasing mindframe. Scary, huh? Yup, tis much easier to think "what's best for ME" instead of "what's best for OUR community..."

Ivy
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 10:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
a path to nowhere

Hails from Zimbabwe
[quote]Originally posted by Ivyleaf
[b]. This has to do with folks who actually have standards in their lives, and who choose NOT to expose themselves or their children, grandchildren, etc. to such material

Do you really believe you have the standard and those that oppose your ideas have none?
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by kelly

Do you really believe you have the standard and those that oppose your ideas have none? [/b]

They sure do.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 11:17 PM
I live on the East coast of the U.S. of A.

Unhappy WOW!!!

I just signed up because I thought the critiques were a cool idea. After reading this I don't think I should bother putting anything up.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 11:43 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Re: WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by noodles
I just signed up because I thought the critiques were a cool idea. After reading this I don't think I should bother putting anything up.

Why? Without an explanation of the rationale behind your statement, we are left to draw our own conclusions as to your motivations - probably not fair to you.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 12:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States
Kelly and arc,
this isn't the forum for debates...why must u as usual antagonize?
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 12:55 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by arlene
Kelly and arc,

It is a <B>topic</B> highly subject to debate. Very debateable things are being said here that effect people. The phrasing of the very poll by which feedback is being gathered is debateable.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States
32! @#$%!

Thirty-two people respond to an arguabley slanted poll question and we are basing policy for "thousands" on that?
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ivyleaf
This has to do with folks who actually have standards in their lives, and who choose NOT to expose themselves or their children, grandchildren, etc. to such material. There are MANY people of ALL ages who visit this site, some of the younger ones whom we know for a fact are supervised by adult members. How many times have we read something like 'typing one handed with so & so on my lap" or "this is my daughter/son's drawing/painting, please give input"

if you are typing with your child on your lap...YOU ARE A BAD PARENT, and no icon will help raise your child. because this is essentially what you are asking for. what parent sits infront of the computer, goes to an ADULT ART SITE and "interacts" with their child? okay, you want to educate your child in art???? explain about expression. use common sense...figure it out.

but to demand that icons are used because you can't find anything INTERACTIVE to do with your child, but essentially come here, because YOU want to!!!! not that your child isn't saying...mommy lets to to WC and look at the critique board and say hi to everyone in the cafe. yeah, right.

also, i am OFFENDED that you ASSUME i don't have standards in my life because of the icon button.

essentially...i just gave you back your OWN mentality. see, it can go both ways.

We all have common sense about us, as to what is questionable and what isn't. We all KNOW when something is borderline, we don't have to have someone point it out to us.

so than why the need for the button???

Let's all take a moment and think about this issue in a world-wide, all-encompasing mindframe. Scary, huh? Yup, tis much easier to think "what's best for ME" instead of "what's best for OUR community..."

Ivy

ivy...thats called communism.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 08:54 AM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Hi noodles, Please don't be put off by this thread. Wetcanvas is a great place and the response is almost 100% friendly and positive. Try another thread

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales
E W Wilcox
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 09:06 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally posted by lori

ivy...thats called communism.

Lol. Umm. No. Read up on your history books, then meet me in the debate forum, Lori. :-)
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 09:08 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Re: 32! @#$%!

Quote:
Originally posted by arc
Thirty-two people respond to an arguabley slanted poll question and we are basing policy for "thousands" on that?

(A) Arguably slanted is YOUR opinion, and likely (given my experience with you), not the opinion shared by the vast majority.

(B) Every member here has the ability to vote in these polls. How many US presidents were elected because half the country didn't vote? Another weak argument.

If you'd like to disuss this further - lets take this to debates.

Cheers.
Scott
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scottb

Lol. Umm. No. Read up on your history books, then meet me in the debate forum, Lori. :-)

in the context of this conversation, yes. she is seeking totalitarian control for the lowest common denominator. sure we are not talking economics here, but surely what we are talking about "the community"; that her previous statements also support as totalitarian. so yes, it is...IN THIS CONTEXT.

sure marx and lenin aren't here to supervise, but the philosophy behind her ideas are....

actually scott, as i said on the other thread, you have the power and the right to do what you want here! private property--

this is actually a dictatorship! ha...

(kidding)

see you on the debates
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2001, 09:56 AM
a path to nowhere

Hails from Zimbabwe
Quote:
Originally posted by arlene
Kelly and arc,

Arlene,

Do you read? If so you would read Ivyleafs post and realize that was offensive. Furthermore, you also offended me. Please read my post. I asked a question.

Why are YOU antagonizing if your are a MODERATOR?

K