WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a new icon for 'bloody/violent' works?
Yes, good idea 27 65.85%
I don't think it's necessary 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-26-2001, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
currently Wiesbaden, Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by sandrafletcher
How about...
or ?

i like those, especially the one with the hand! ~ caro
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2001, 02:41 AM
Lord of the Arts
UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Thumbs up

Ooh, I think I like Sandra's hand best, too!

Helen
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2001, 08:08 AM
A Local Legend
"Fraggle Rock" Virginia

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by ArtyHelen
Ooh, I think I like Sandra's hand best, too!

Helen

Me too
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2001, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Hmmm...
I'm not so hot on the hand. Along with the X, the "no smoking" type sign... it all seems to imply that the artwork is a BAD thing, "stay away", etc etc... and it doesn't really symbolize WHY to stay away. Personally I would never want that on my work.

But I'm not one to object without an alternate suggestion...

I figure it actually symbolizes what we're talking about, without the icon itself being too morbid or gross (hey, how can it be gross? The Red Cross uses it!).

-=- Jen "Hmm, I'll wear my nurse tinyhead today!" de la Cruz
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 01:10 AM
Immortalized
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by pixelscapes
... it all seems to imply that the artwork is a BAD thing, "stay away", etc etc... and it doesn't really symbolize WHY to stay away. Personally I would never want that on my work.

Jen,

That's the same thing that came to my mind with some of the other icons. I think that the "drop of blood" icon is a good idea; direct without implying any negative connotations. The "drop of blood" idea gets my vote (even though the "hand" icon does look cool. ).

digistyle
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 10:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by pixelscapes
Hmmm...
I'm not so hot on the hand. Along with the X, the "no smoking"
But I'm not one to object without an alternate suggestion...

I figure it actually symbolizes what we're talking about, without the icon itself being too morbid or gross (hey, how can it be gross? The Red Cross uses it!).

-=- Jen "Hmm, I'll wear my nurse tinyhead today!" de la Cruz
Thanks Helen, I can play now. I love that drop of blood though. It say it all. Good one nurse Jen.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 11:07 AM
Lord of the Arts
UK

But disturbing works don't always show blood, do they?

I see the hand as a 'stop, take note and see if you wish to enter' rather than a 'keep out, this is bad'...

Helen
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by ArtyHelen
But disturbing works don't always show blood, do they?

Depends -- are you trying to come up with an icon for "bloody/violent works" as the thread and poll state? (that's what I was designing it for). It seems like you're trying to come up with a generic "disturbing" icon instead. (not that that's necessarily a bad idea, I just didn't think that was the main point...)

It's easier to determine whether it's bloody or violent, than to decide whether it's "disturbing". Some people find snakes and spiders really disturbing, or pictures of scary monsters, etc... but they aren't necessarily bloody or violent.

Quote:

I see the hand as a 'stop, take note and see if you wish to enter' rather than a 'keep out, this is bad'...

Sure, it'll make you stop, if that's what you're trying to do. But, you don't know whether you wish to enter or not without knowing what you're getting into (right?). You don't know what's disturbing about it. And, it also still implies that only a certain kind of work deserves a "STOP" warning.

I've always found it odd that some people think violence is just the worst possible thing to let other people see... and others think that sexuality is the worst possible thing to let other people see. I'd rather know what I'm going to be looking at so I can pick what I see, personally.

Anyway, this isn't up to me, I just wanted to state and clarify my viewpoint. I think it's better to have an icon that denotes the actual, specific subject matter, rather than saying "Whoa, look out for this content! Whatever it might really be! Not that you can tell for sure without looking!".

Or maybe I'm just a blood donor who's biased towards blood-drops. Everybody, go out and donate if you can! Pleeease!

-=- Jen "Bluidy 'ell" de la Cruz
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 04:18 PM
A WC! Legend
the sunshine coast

Jen, I think you are right - the icon should not imply a value judgement. I love your drop of blood. It works just like the butt icon - naked flesh in the icon = naked flesh in the artwork; blood = blood. Plus it is very well done!

This thread did start off being about bloody/violent work. But Scott then said this:
Quote:
Originally posted by scottb
According to the vote, it looks like we should have an icon for "mature subject matter" (non-nude). I think between these two icons, we should be covered - I can't foresee the need for anything else.
This makes it difficult to come up with a like for like icon because the subject is not one thing. So I was thinking maybe something like industrial signage might be more objective. Perhaps a 'stop you might not want to click here' icon that members could choose to apply might help posters consider our varied audience when they are posting.

Of course people could currently advise of disturbing subject matter with a few carefully chosen words in their thread title.

I don't think my efforts are quite right. The 'hand' does make me think of a dead spider, though, which is a bit disturbing.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 05:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
golgi complex

how about the letter "R" in one of those little red boxes ... like the movie ratings ...

??? just a thought ...

j*
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Suburbia, MD, USA

Hails from United States
Good point RE: what Scott said... Then again, I honestly can't think of any "adult subject matter" that <b>doesn't</b> involve nudity/sexuality/violence/gore.

I mean, sure, it's not all nude or bloody specifically, but with a slightly expanded definition (sexuality, violence) we're basically covered.

What else could be "mature" subject matter, hmmmm... maybe, I dunno... drug abuse? But I mean, kids see pictures of people shooting up in anti-drug propaganda... so it's kinda like, so what... (in my mind, anyway)

The little R-rating might work too, although it's less specific and might overlap with nudity conceptually. I guess it depends on what people are really looking for in a new icon.

Anyway, I totally agree with the other thing Sandra said -- really, people should put descriptive titles on the post, so you DO know what you're getting into. If I had a painting with an innocuous name like "Flower" and it turned out to be female genitalia... (you get the idea)

I'm just glad we can see the icons on the "latest posts" area, now... used to be there were no icons atall on the "Today's Posts", if I recall... back in the day...

-=- Jen "Citizen Kane sled" de la Cruz
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2001, 11:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
What about these?

#58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 04:51 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
a path to nowhere

Hails from Zimbabwe
There is a discussion in the debate forum about using an icon to warn viewers about "offensive" material.

The thread is called "Extremely Dangerous Material."
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 05:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
UK

Actually, it's called "Extremely Dangererous Material".

Helen
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2001, 05:55 PM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
How about a yellow dot - like a smiley face - but with a capital M on it. That way you get the yellow for "caution" and the M for "mature".

'Tis the set of the sails and not the gales
E W Wilcox