WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Should there be a Classical Art subject forum on Wet Canvas?
Yes! I'll certainly be participating. 51 36.69%
Yes. I think that if Abstract gets one, this should too. 18 12.95%
No. Things are good as they stand. 54 38.85%
I'm indifferent. There's lots of driving philosophy and technique, but is this really a so different? 16 11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:32 PM
No Fixed Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Classical Vince
Niko, if you give us the chance we can show what we would offer.

So, you want everyone to take it on faith that the new forum will be the best thing the world has ever seen, will cure cancer, and will buff one's car to a shine the likes of which no man ever thought possible?

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a definative statement of intent before creation.

Quote:

I want to discuss classical process' of creativity, regardless of medium.

Wait, so the Creativity Corner isn't good enough for you?
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:33 PM
A Local Legend
Where the Osprey soars free.

Hails from Canada
Quote:
He was a very influencial artist of his time but we dont get to talk about him.

I am looking for a place to discuss all of these things about him...and more.

Couldn`t you discuss this artist and his particular works in the Art History Forum?The Art History Forum

All artwork and photos posted are copyrighted, please do not copy or use in any way without my permission. Thank You
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
No prize? Darn.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:35 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United Kingdom
How did you cheat Jimb?
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
No Fixed Address

It just seems like other forums here would easily accomidate what you want.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
I went to the ARC website yesterday and read all about him. Facinating artist. Look at the feeling of atmosphere in the work that Vince posted. To me it's just gorgeous.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:40 PM
A Local Legend

It certainly is beautiful. Could not agree more. But that's not cheating! That's learning! Everybody who knew the right answer would have been cheating then!

So......in this forum somebody would post this painting.....and then......what? we are going to discuss the qualities of it? The techniques of it? Where we can learn? Copy? Get inspired? right?
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
I suppose we could discuss him there but wouldnt that turn into a debate? I mean its not labled for classical discussions so I can forsee a lot of alternative opinions coming forth.

We arent looking for a debate. Just a place to discuss art, like all of you enjoy doing.

Niko, Soap. I dont want to belittle anyone.

Your statment Niko is flawed. do you truly believe that classical art = a picture-maker, a dreamer, as well as an art that commands attention?

Please share with me how this belittles everything else. You have generalized your reasoning.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:45 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Hey soap. If I had to chooose er-uhm...all the above. We would post works of all disciplines for critique and discussion.

I have heard some say that they think Bougueareau was "sickly" sweet in his beauty. Maybe someone in a classical arts forum can help me understand why.

It could be HUGE flaw in Bouguereaus work that I ignorantly echo throughout my own work but I wont know any different unless I discuss this amoung my peers.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:45 PM
A Local Legend
Where the Osprey soars free.

Hails from Canada
Quote:
I suppose we could discuss him there but wouldnt that turn into a debate? I mean its not labled for classical discussions so I can forsee a lot of alternative opinions coming forth.

It`s not labelled for classical discussions, but there are many discussions in there on many different styles of art.

All artwork and photos posted are copyrighted, please do not copy or use in any way without my permission. Thank You
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:48 PM
A Local Legend

Everything I wrote as to what we could with a post of a painting of Bouguereau would suit the art history forum perfectly I think.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
Hi animal. But I cant call any of those places home. Those forums belong to everyone. I dont think its fair to impose on that, I would like an area of our own to discuss these things.

Its seems a little odd that we arent supporting variety. Tolerance is a good thing, maybe we need to think about that a little.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
But what about the next student who is like me?

That person will come along and feel lost combing through the threads searching for a shred of classical art. Its just not there.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States
I appreciate the exchange here today. Although the vote appears to be dead-set against it I think there would be a draw from outside the WC Community.

Heck, Id let everyone know in my school that it was here! I bet there are more of us too but we need your support as fellow artists - let us communicate!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2003, 03:01 PM
No Fixed Address

Quote:

God forbid a discussion that includes differing opinions ever be engaged in.

Quote:
Your statment Niko is flawed. do you truly believe that classical art = a picture-maker, a dreamer, as well as an art that commands attention?

Any time anybody is effusing about an artist, similar statements get thrown out without justification or conscious thought.

Quote:

Please share with me how this belittles everything else. You have generalized your reasoning.

Your messages are not islands to themselves. You are claiming that there are many forums here that you can place your messages in, but they are not good enough for you because they don't pander entirely to your narrow specifications. Then you go on about how absolutely fantastic and wonderful one particular painter is. It's a fairly easy conclusion to come to that you are holding all non-classicists in the highest contempt.