WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WC Site Technical Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Should there be a Classical Art subject forum on Wet Canvas?
Yes! I'll certainly be participating. 51 36.69%
Yes. I think that if Abstract gets one, this should too. 18 12.95%
No. Things are good as they stand. 54 38.85%
I'm indifferent. There's lots of driving philosophy and technique, but is this really a so different? 16 11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#226   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2003, 02:58 PM
Enthusiast
Ont. Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up

Oops Almost forgot! ...
Originally posted by llis
"Classical Art
Come discuss classic techniques, share tips, post work and enjoy the fellowship of like minds working in various mediums. Contemporary, traditional and romantic styles are all welcome."
  #227   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by belladonna
Oops Almost forgot! ...
Originally posted by llis
"Classical Art
Come discuss classic techniques, share tips, post work and enjoy the fellowship of like minds working in various mediums. Contemporary, traditional and romantic styles are all welcome."

I'm sure this statement is well intentioned, but, to me at least, very confusing and contradictory. "Classic Themes" I can understand....... classic techniques? Not. The last sentence is where it gets contradictory, I'm afraid. And if you knock off the two words (Classical Art) at the begin of this statement, you have the invitation that could apply to any of the current forums, imo.

I mean, if you are going to launch a new forum, the statement needs to be straightforward and to the point, so that would-be posters will know exactly what's what. At the moment, "Classical" - as far as I know - hasn't been fully defined or explained.

andy.
  #228   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2003, 01:16 AM
Enthusiast
Ont. Canada

Hails from Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by andyvry
"Classical" - as far as I know - hasn't been fully defined or explained.
andy.

- Andyvry, I'm sure there are as many definitions for classical art as their are for modern art, but since you asked, here are a few:

Quote from Dan Wilson: “Classical Art generally refers
to the art that came out of the re-discovery of ancient Greek art. It is based on a naturalistic portrayal of space and the objects therein.”

Quote from Vince Pitelka: “It has a strong commitment to specific content/intent/narrative.”

Quote from Britanicca.com: “in the arts, historical tradition or aesthetic attitudes based on the art of Greece and Rome in antiquity. In the context of the tradition, Classicism refers either to the art produced in antiquity or to later art inspired by that of antiquity.”

Last edited by belladonna : 10-09-2003 at 01:21 AM.
  #229   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
Thanks B ......I go along with those definitions......mostly. Well, without playing around with words and meanings, my own understanding has been that "Classical Art" as a subject/period, pertains to the 5th to 4th century BC (Greco/Roman)......That being 'the source' of "classical" ......which is very much kept alive and kicking (IMO) by many artists today, in spite of what a certain website would have us believe.

But I also understand that 'we' would like to encourage people - artists - to work from life, and discover/enjoy the benefits of doing so. Life Studies, as I mentioned in the other thread, would maybe set down a clearer message.......(i.e.) not working from photos......which on WC! "seems" to be quite popular. Um, I work mostly from life and make many sketches......a lot of groundwork, yeah? which helps the outcome of my paintings. But I also work from photos, on occasion, and I use my "knowledge" from life work so that I'm not dictated by the photo image, if you understand what I'm trying to say. I feel some wannabe artists who have no groundwork skills try to do abstract/modern works straight off and they come to grief...frustrated.... and don't realise that their "heroes" whose work they might have admired, have had good training....originally. This matter of good understanding of what might be called "classical" is the issue, to my mind.

apologies for the ramble.....

andy.
  #230   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico
It's all about technique..

The more it's discussed, the less it seems like a real distinction..Although, I already voted 'yes' to this...I am thinking that fixing dates to the concept may help....like, work from 1350 to 1800...and working with photos is not a contradiction, in my book, because the 'classical' painters made much use of lenses and cameras obscura...they just didn't have the film yet to fix the image.
In terms of 'naturalistic perspective' ..I read an interesting theory {David Hockney} that has all perspective (classical) as coming from the need to render a picture of the cruxifician...and that all three point perspective came from that....that it really is NOT a 'naturalistic' perspective ...That the Oriental landscape scrolls...are much more in tune with our perspective of living in the world...that the Renaissance perspective is really like looking thru a window at something in the distance....like a god or something..but not ever being right there in the same space with it.....
Anyway, I suggest dating the 'Classical' period and also in defining the techniques used because it seems to be all about technique, to me.

PS..maybe, lenses just fit in nicely with the already decided (crucified) perspective....how naive of us to believe that the monocular camera machine actually captures reality, as it is....and that our marvelous human binocular vision, is somehow flawed. .. yeck..
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. I’d get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times I’d go back into it, the better it’d get. Well, it’s just the reverse!! It doesn’t work that way. It’s a gift. It’s kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira

Last edited by Mario : 10-11-2003 at 10:47 PM.
  #231   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2003, 07:59 PM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=143207
  #232   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-03-2003, 01:26 AM
A WC! Legend
Perth Western Australia

Hails from Australia
You spoil us Scott

How about everyone toss a contribution Scott's way to maintain this humongous site that WC has become.
  #233   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2003, 10:55 PM
Gloucester, MA

Hails from United States
I have to agree that it is a good idea. For one thing I believe there is a "backlash"-type prejudice popular today against classical art. Many artists who are formally trained and who choose to paint traditional/classical themes get a lot of eye-rolling and flippant remarks from abstract and "alternative" artists when they present their work in galleries that pride themselves on incomprehensible art.

One thing that I've gotten in to literal arguments about is that I choose - even after a degree in painting from a university and over 30 years in one form of art or another - to continue to work on my drawing skills via regular sketch groups - life, portrait, etc. Some seem to think that this is old-fashioned or elitist or something I have yet to figure out. I do my art the way I choose and don't criticize others for doing it their way.

Also, I think there are talented artists who may have been successful in their chosen area without formal training who, at some point, want to start gaining more basic skills. This could be a good place for them to begin exploring.

Personally, I think there are a few basics - like drawing skills and color theory - that are important for all artists regardless of their chosen medium and form of expression.
Visit my blog! Updated 4 times a week... I hope....
  #234   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2003, 04:55 AM
A Local Legend
USA, GA

Hails from United States
Thanks everyone for your responses.

The Classical Art Forum now lives and welcomes your input.

Enjoy. Classical Art Forum