WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast
Miami,FL

Hails from United States
Post Re: palette addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio C
... there are more serious addicts: Some people can't keep from buying more and more new colors, others have jars and jars of unused brushes, some are addicted to workshops, others to DVDs, others to books...

And I'm definitely pleased that my tip was helpful to someone.
Gee,I knew that sooner or later I will be discovered.
I'm that type,I can't have enough books,paints,brushes,DVD's etc.Soon my addiction will take over again and I'll be doomed.
My confession,even if I sold all my supplies a while ago when I got sick,I have 2,not 1, tin 24 pans palettes,1 small butcher tray one an one ceramic flower dish too.Book are piling up as orders from Amazon arrive in...well you get the picture.

Bob

PS I think that I started as promoter and partly "drug-dealer" on the Spanish palettes"
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: palette addicts

Marcio,
I am one of the more serious addicts you mention and palettes, brushes, paint etc; pale into comparison, money wise, when compared with watercolour books.
Once out of print the cost of good art books take on a life of their own and a book which, 2 years ago, sold for $30 soon becomes unavailable for less than $200. Books by or about Joseph Zbukvic, Alvaro Castagnet, Mel Stabin, Trevor Chamberlain, Ted Wesson and Edward Seago, etc are increasing in price monthly and the one book I am waiting to come within affordable price range, Ted Wesson's "My Corner of the Field", is now at $600 and climbing. I have all the other Ted Wesson books as well as most of his articles from "The Artist" and "Leisure Painter" and it looks as though I will have to curb all the other addictions and save for "My Corner of the Field".
Cheers
Tred
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Immortalized
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

It is terrible to see all these clean palettes
a compulsive disorder?
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Resting in Peace
United States

Hails from United States

Alex: Yes, I have the full pan palette from Kremer for $34 and I really like it. It is quite easy to clean and to change out colors also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcio C
No problem, Debra. I'm glad my only addiction is to palettes--it's not the worst and is not the most expensive. If you pay attention to the postings in these forums there are more serious addicts: Some people can't keep from buying more and more new colors, others have jars and jars of unused brushes, some are addicted to workshops, others to DVDs, others to books...

And I'm definitely pleased that my tip was helpful to someone.

Marcio: What a relief, I just had to come clean. Luckily, I have been able to keep the other "possible addictions" under control. However, I will confess that I now have a smaller Mijello palette, but that is for my gouache.

WELL, maybe that qualifies as a color addiction, but I hope not since watercolor and gouache work so well together and/or separately!

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
A WC! Legend
North Yorkshire (James Herriot territory)

Hails from United Kingdom

I have a couple of almost throwaway cheap plastic palettes which have generations of paint mixes on them...never know when that shade might be needed again ....apart from that the ones in my W&N travel pack can only just started to be used..

Week in Week out.....I use plastic food trays from microwave meals.

geoff
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeman
It is terrible to see all these clean palettes
a compulsive disorder?

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tred
There are, however, exceptions to the rule and of the 8 plastic palettes I own two are used - albeit on spasmodic rotation. They are the John Pike palette and the New Compact Palette. They are both made from the same sturdy plastic and, as far as I know, the New Compact Palette is the closest thing you will get to a Craig Young / Roberson type palette without spending the big bucks.
Mine (pictured) is set up as a Jeanne Dobie + 4 palette and I have covered the thumb hole with plastic to accomodate the 4 extra colours. This gives me a 16 well palette. I am using whole pans but if the thumb hole is retained, using 12 colours, paint can be placed directly in the wells. There is also a half pan model and both are available from Ken Bromley UK and cost 15 pounds 50 pence plus postage.
Tred

they are Frank Herring palettes
http://www.frankherringandsons.com/?...oducts&ssc=156

He also makes a great Easel
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
St Andrews Scotland/Denver CO

Hails from Wales

I too am a palette-aholic! Indoors I use the 2 large and one small porcelain at the upper left along with the plastic cupcake type for large washes.
The rest are plastic, the Koi and the Cotman travel palettes are kept in my car, and the one under the cupcake palette is kept in my plein air backpack.
It is an addiction! As I type this I am planning to order from Kenn Bromley, the "Frank Herring" compact palette,to use while I wait for the Craig Young that I also going to order!

Ricky
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercolourfanatic

Peter

I must say I object to the title of this thread
It misleads people into thinking having many palettes is an addiction
and this might hinder them in their pursuit of happiness thru collecting palettes.

Different palettes do different things
So how you paint will be aided by the palette you use

In Peter's photo above there as several types of palettes

I split them into three types of palettes:
• Studio, which are not portable and hence stay in your studio A, B, C, E in plastic or Ceramic, sometimes aluminum
• Folding Palettes that are flat and fold and can be taken outside in plastic, Enameled Aluminum or Enameled Metal D, F
• Paint Boxes, which have deep wells and a mixing flap, and can hold pans or sometime tube paints, and can be taken outside in Enameled Metal, Pressed Tin, and plastic G, H

What they do:
• Studio palettes can take tube paints and often depth in the mixing wells for large quanities of liquid for big washes, and is good for large work where you are repeating washes or mixes
• Folding Palettes will take tube paints, but is much harder to have enough liquid for large washes, and I find lend themselves well to wet on wet, where I can mix either in the wells on the paper, but do not use the palette for big washes. For easy of mixing they are similar to an oil palette.
• Paint Boxes tend to be much smaller than Studio palettes and smaller than Folding palettes, and the pans or tube filled pans are much less free for mixing to the mixing wells. But they hold plenty of space for larger washes
With pans, you can change easily what paint you have in your box, so you can change you paints as you feel or as the matter or season changes

So different palettes allow you different styles
Each has their advantage and disadvantage
If you have one of each type then you can have the best of all

My favorites are:
• Studio: B Robert Wade Deep mixing wells and deep holding wells for lots of wet paint and the lid has deep wash wells
(C Zoltan is superb for mixing combinations, a real learning tool and controlled mixing)
• Flat Folding: Holbein #350 in Enameled metal, I use it for plaine air when I stand and mix at speed often wet on wet. A very dynamic palette (I in fact have the 250 which is has smaller mixing area but did not know)
• Paint Box: Frome/ W/N Enameled 12 whole pan that takes 1/2 pans so you can have both whole and half pans in the box.
The Compact Box (Herrings) with 16 1/2 pans has room for folding brushes and will take tube paint and deep wells for washes. For sitting and sketching

Oh!
Don't forget..
A white dinner plate for mixing, tube paints on the side
A white muffin mixing tray for washes
It don't get better than that!!

Last edited by Neeman : 03-13-2012 at 06:02 AM.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

There seem to be different traditions when it comes to palettes. I have never seen those large studio palettes with lids in Sweden, not for sale or depicted in a book.On the other hand I don't think I have seen an artmaterial shop where you can't by metal boxes of the type I have.

In this video you can see the most famous now living Swedish water colourist and at 3.44 you can see his paintbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dV4mak_oY4

When someone want's deeper wells this type of plastic palette seems to be a common choice.
http://www.tintoart.se/Bilder/bilderindien/paletter.jpg

Last edited by ingegerd : 03-13-2012 at 07:53 AM.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Immortalized

Ingegerd

Looks like a regular tin paint box (H in Peter's photo)
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Sweden

Yes It's the same box I have. I wanted to show how common this type of box is here. Lars Lerin paints huge paintings and still he uses this box wich is relatively small compared with some palettes described in this thread.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
A WC! Legend

I painted plein air today, forgot a palette, and used a piece of a plastic bag.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
hindley nr wigan lancashire uk

Hails from England

I love looking at those palettes ,and another of my favourit pastimes is looking through art firms catalogues ,even If I dont need anything .or buy //.I still look at them over and over ..////take me away....
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Nr Bath, United Kingdom

Hails from United Kingdom

Fun, Fun, Fun!!!

Peter

"The Watercolour Log"
www.watercolourfanatic.blogspot.com/