WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:45 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Playing with the Angels - WIP

Another update. I put in some of her hair, and I have started the scarf. It seems that red is actually a great color for it, I think because it is near her face. Against the dark hair it seems to work well (which is probably why she wore it, she new she looked good!). It's a lot of work trying to get the pattern right. If it weren't so important to get that pattern spot on, I would just paint the scarf and indicate some sort of pattern. But........ not to be with this one, the pattern needs to be spot on. No loosey goosey here. I am finding it a bit of fun and somewhat therapeudic too, relaxing to paint it.

I noodled with her right eye (eyelashes actually) by changing the angle. I think it worked. I can still go back to it later if I need to, but for now I'm moving on. The more I get in the more it will all make sense. There are some cast shadows on the left side of her fact that I have to put in. They will help to shape her face and nose, but I'm not doing it yet.

I also just saw something I want to change on her hair (bangs), will tend to that as well. A small thing, I tend to be picky.......

#47   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

already beautiful and her face is showing plenty of emotion.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

]
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

Yep, the red's fab! picks up the warm tones in her face a treat. Why ever were you worried about that scarf??? lol

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Lord of the Arts
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

I think the scarf is perfect just the right tone. Sorry about the rash comment
must be the colouring in my computer, lap top. Really looking great Chris
David
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 02:22 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Chris, I appreciate it!

Thank you Ruthie, the red works well doesn't it? Hubby remembered what color it was, it must have been something she wore often. I don't know why I was worried, , maybe that pattern had something to do with it !

Hey David, no worries . If you see something, say something, it can't hurt to mention it in case there is an issue. I always appreciate comments, yours was no problem at all. I always find that no matter how much care I take when photographing my artwork, there is always some nuance that does or doesn't show up. Often times I can adjust it on the computer and get it pretty close to the real thing. In the end I have to go with how it looks IRL of course, so I'm always at the mercy of my camera. I do think my camera likes reds and blues for some reason. I'm glad you're liking the scarf!

Now back to painting.........
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 02:25 PM

I rated this thread because it looks like it's going to be an excellent learning tool. I really like WIPs where the artist is feeling their way through a new problem (or two!) with a chorus of suggestions. Given the size you're working, the pencils and hard sticks as a medium, and the subject, this WIP is incredibly relevant to me personally. So glad you're doing this!

And it is indeed progressing nicely. I'm with Barbara on the strings -- practice on another paper!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

Beautiful start, I can't wait to see it as it progresses.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2011, 12:18 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thank you so much Julia. I'm glad you're enjoying the WIP. For the record, so far all I've used are pastel pencils on this. I'm not really fond of hard pastels, I rarely use them. I usually use pastel pencils and the medium soft to real softies. I know, a crazy combination but it works for me. I may use softies for the background and pencils for the rest. At least that's what I'm thinking right now. Not sure how I'll get the strings in, but I'll figure it out.

Thanks very much csumart, hopefully I'll have another progress photo this weekend.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

I still love it of course
What a treat for us to share this unfolding along with you.

www.sarahfoxfineart.co.uk
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2011, 05:08 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

This is going to be so beautiful and a treasured keepsake for her husband.

I was brought to this thread by one of the many glitches this site has...the link in an email notification to a thread of my own in the scratchboard forum bought me here instead...but I'm glad I got to see this and will follow along now.

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast

Wow Chris - you have a doozy here. It is looking great so far. Can't wait to see your progression as you get the harp in there. All of those strings ... yikes! This is going to be a beautiful portrait - your client is going to love it.

Lynn
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thank you Sarah. I'm taking my time with this, working things out as I go. Thanks for hanging in there!

Wow, lorna, thanks so much. That's crazy! I appreciate your following this, it is turning out to be a journey, and I'm enjoying the process.

Hi Lynn, a doozie for sure! But I truly am enjoying it, it's proving to be quite an experience. Somehow she is watching over my shoulder while I paint, making sure I get it right. I swear she is.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:09 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Hello everybody. I'm back with an update. I posted an update this past Saturday, but it got lost with all the other dropped posts that day . Hopefully this one will stick.

I just found out that she never liked the photo that I'm painting this from. Her husband said it was never displayed in the home. He took the photo and always liked it, and when she died he put it in a frame to hang up. It's very strange because ever since I started painting this I've had this 'feeling' about getting it just right, perfect actually (or as perfect as art can be, if you know what I mean). I almost feel like she is making sure I get it right, that it is as important to her as it is to him, because she didn't like the photo. It's a very unusual feeling, I can't explain it, especially since I've had this intense need to get it perfect from the very beginning, before I knew she didn't like it.

Somehow the painting looks both the same yet different from the photo, more life-like somehow. The photo is black and white, and I'm painting the objects the colors the husband said they were.

Anyway, here is where I'm at right now. The scarf is in, I may noodle with it as things progress but for now I'm moving on to the rest of her hair and her shirt. The shirt will be white, but not really "white", if you know what I mean. I'll be using nuances of light tones, probably some neutrals and soft tones. No real white.

As always, C&C appreciated. Thanks for looking.

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast
On the other side of the Brazos near Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Beautiful!

Oil Pastel Society
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
the bottom of her nose from the tip back to the nostril is flat
and the arc of the eyelash of her right eye is backwards
- but i only mention that because it looks like there's
serious detail work behind those spots .
> nail down one thing rather fight with two .

bringing the violet from the face into the scarf is just right !

Ed :}