WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England
Re: Playing with the Angels - WIP

Wow Chris this is going to be beautiful. A very special painting to be treasured. I love the mood that is coming through already.

C & c's always welcome
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Wow, Chris. This is going to be stunning! Can't wait.

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 01:00 AM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Great start! I love the look of concentration on her face. This one's going to be spectacular.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada

Come on Chris were all waiting and cheering you on
David
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

I can't wait to see this develop Chris. I feel like the others....it's going to be special! No pressure from us then???..........

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 01:43 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Sandie. I do believe you are right, the client touched my heart and I find myself in a different place when I'm painting it.

Hey Jen, thanks so much. I am enjoying this so far.

Thank you Randy, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Robert, it looks like she was "in a moment" while playing her music in the photo, glad it's coming through.

You are too funny David! I'll have another update, though small, shortly .

Thanks Ruthie, Nah....., you guys keep me going and focused, you're all great!
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Okay, another update here. Just a bit more done, I'm going back to it now so hopefully I'll have more later. The lighting in my studio is a bit different today, I hope the colors come through okay. Still not sure about the nose, may need more tweaking......

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Lemont, Illinois

Hails from United States

Chris, it is stunning already. I can't wait to see it develop. You do absolutely beautiful work. And I think you are very brave to do this. I did a portrait of a 2 year old girl who had passed away and I was terrified that it wouldn't be perfect enough.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Chris, she was so beautiful wasn't she? I'm so interested to see how you are going about this. In a landscape you would never consider doing one area to almost a finish before you started the rest would you? I can see why though. The face is the most important part of this complex painting so you need to get that in first so you can set the rest of the scene accordingly....right?
Now, those strings....I am sure you will not be showing us the whole of every string on the harp. I am so full of anticipation to see how you'll handle that!!!

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Lord of the Arts
Lincolnshire

Hails from England

This is an incredibly beautiful painting so far Chris and also very moving, knowing the back story. I can see why you have tackled the most important part first and it has made a wonderful portrait. As far as I can see you are on the home run now, as with your skills the rest will be easier now you have the face completed. Just take your time and I am sure the rest will flow naturally.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks so much Judy. This is a difficult one to do for sure, hopefully I can pull it off. I'm thinking positively .

Hi Ruthie, OMG, she was so beautiful, even when she died. This is her about 30 years ago, georgous. I know, I know, I know......... I was wondering if anyone would notice this different approach. I approach portrait commissions so differently from my landscapes and still life. I do tend to get tighter, I actuallly seem to not be able to help it. If I do a portrait for myself I have a different approach and I can get much looser. I guess commissions have to be "just so". I do feel I have to get her face right, otherwise nothing else matters. That is what the client looks at first. No use spending time on other things, to then mess up the face. As far as the strings, well, I'm open to suggestions , as I have no idea! Part of me is going crazy right now, I'm sort of avoiding those strings for the moment......... Because I'm using pastel pencils for this one, I'm hoping I can pull it off. A ruler may turn out to be my best friend when all is said and done....... Keep your fingers crossed because I really am not sure how I'm going to approach those strings....
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOSESLAWN
This is an incredibly beautiful painting so far Chris and also very moving, knowing the back story. I can see why you have tackled the most important part first and it has made a wonderful portrait. As far as I can see you are on the home run now, as with your skills the rest will be easier now you have the face completed. Just take your time and I am sure the rest will flow naturally.

Thanks John, we cross-posted! Yes, her face is the most important part, got to get that right first. From the beginning I've felt that her face was going to be easier than the harp, that harp has me worried. It's the srings that concern me. I'll just tread slowly, it should all come together somehow (thinking positively .)
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Marin Co., California

Hails from United States

Chris-

This is stunning- she really is angelic! I love the skin tones you've created. I'm taking note, because I want to do something similar of an old black and white photo of my mom when she was a child...

About her nose you keep mentioning. What I see is that maybe her right eye (on our left) seems to be higher than the left- and given the way you've painted the rest of her face, it doesn't seem the head tilt matches with the level of that back eye. It's hard to tell, it could be the nose, but you might take a look at the reference photo again. It looks to me if you brought her right eye and eyebrow down a bit, the rest of the face would fall into place, including the nose.

I don't envy you the work on those strings!

This is going to be beautiful- with a start like this, your client is going to love it!

Barbara
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:33 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Chris. I don't know whether the BG will be dark or light in this. All I can say is don't show every line of every string....it will look contrived and wrong somehow. Maybe in the photo you can see them all but, think about what the eye sees. Looking at a woman playing a harp the eye would focus on the woman. The viewer would be aware of the harp and the surroundings but would not see every string in detail. My feeling would be to have a dark BG and just show glimmers of the strings where light is reflected off them. The viewer will add the missing bits to imagine the strings in their entireity.
Hope this helps! Maybe practice effects on a separate piece of paper.

Also, I agree with Barbara, the eye on our left does look a tad too high for the angle of the face.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2011, 04:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Beautiful! and such a moving piece already.
Also probably answers a question that I have been thinking of posting ( dont like to post too many a day ) about how people tackle hair.
Im thinking you arent doing the hairs over the skin but doing them separately?
That must be difficult and time consuming?
Do you always do it like that or do you sometimes draw over the skin?
Im tending to draw over but its difficult to have enough tooth even on sanded for hair over horse hairs

BTW you are brave leaving the bit you are unsure of till last, I tend to do that first ( if theres only one , often its the whole thing ) so I can throw it away if it doesnt work without wasting hours of hard work.