WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > Oil Painting - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, April 2019: optional plein air theme!

I see I'm behind on commenting again... end of semester, that's my excuse. Thank you all for your encouraging comments. They are always so insightful and helpful.

And Ronsu, I'm glad to hear you respond to Jane Freilicher the way I do. I've only learned about her recently which seems surprising; hers are just the sort of paintings that I respond to immediately. I really like your after sunset painting--and I like the lumps. It really captures what can be an eery time of day (or night, I guess). I especially like the slight reddishness above the line of trees. It's amazing how light it is at that time where you live! And is there still snow on the ground?

Geoff, I think this portrait turned out beautifully despite your running out of time. She looks as if she's wearing a jester's cap. You could call it "The Jester"; it's artistic license. And I like her faraway, dreamy look, but she also looks as if she could leap into action at any moment, as if you captured her just as she turned around. There's just a lot of movement in the painting which I think is wonderful.

ntl, what a marvelous cereus (and what a name for a plant!). You seem to have captured its shape and curviness. I also like the shadow and desert landscape. Sorry about the heat!

I won't be able to paint a painting a day during May (although it has a nice rhyme) because I'll be at a conference for the better part of next week. But I'll enjoy seeing what others come up with.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States

Here’s something new, although admittedly I’m still on the flower theme. These are miniature roses in a square vase which is a sort of metallic lavender with a clear strip along the top. The colors look a tad more garish in the iPhone photo than in real life. It’s hard to photograph warm oranges and yellows, I find. It’s 12”x12”. “Miniature Roses on top of the Bookshelf” (a very uncreative title).

Hope I don’t blind anyone!
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2019, 09:18 PM
Lord of the Arts

Holly, That is so bright and cheerful! It belongs in the kitchen or bath. Get those bodies moving!
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 PM
Enthusiast

Very pretty flowers, Holly! Nice use of the mirror, too. I'm not sure I've ever had the courage to put a mirror in a painting. And yes, I find it hard to photograph warmer colors. Don't worry about painting every day -- Moscatel and I might manage it, but we might not!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast

Holly! in the middle of the worst 24h in years your roses made me forget everything else. Thank You!

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist. - Picasso
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Name:  20190430_191516-1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  190.2 KB

ta-ddahhh! no idea what's going on, the warning triangle indicating 'http' and insecure site is back. just now, just like that, and upload works. still a little worrying but .

above, a promising WIP, first layer, oil on fabriano 18x24. will go lighter around and on window. the white sprawl in the middle is a dendrobium-to-be and next to it is a sugar bowl in the making.

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, glad you're back in business, Ronsu! That sure does look like a promising start. I love the deep alizarin-crimson shape in the foreground. Nice drawing on the plant pot, too. It will be interesting to see where you go with this.

Did you say this is 18" x 24"? I'm impressed you're working that large. Or are you using centimeters?
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast
Mississippi

Hails from United States

Sorry you were having a bad day yesterday, Ronsu, but you must be having a good day today because that is a terrific start to an indoor scene. I think the composition works beautifully, and I love the way the shapes inside echo the shapes outside. I always like paintings with windows looking out onto other scenes, where indoors and outdoors are not easily separated, if that makes sense. This makes me think of Matisse and Freilicher too! And I agree with Grotius about the alizarin. I was thinking of putting that little square vase of roses I just painted somewhere else in my house and painting it in more of an environment, where it isn't the focus, and your painting is really inspiring me to do that. Thanks!
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast

I'd love to see another version of your little square vase of roses, Holly!

I'll be switching to the May oil-from-life thread in a couple hours. Ronsu and Holly, please feel free to re-post your most recent paintings in that thread in case people missed them here in April.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 PM
Enthusiast

thanks guys!

Grotius thank you! it is centimeters, sorry about that! the alizarin is very seductive, painted the blue on the left to go with it and it opens up to a whole new interpretation of the scene. my vision is lightyears beyond my skills so let's just see what happens...

Holly thank you ! almost complete illiterate in american art, i'm having the time of my life discovering these masters. yes i know what you mean by blurred meaning when playing with arbitrary fractions. when painting my WIP i kept studying mistakes, how a wonky line belonged to a wonky value. curious relationships weave in and out on the canvas, painting is learning the role of an active bystander.
i keep coming back to that well of life of a painting, taking in the precision and challenge in colorplay. the vase is intriguing also on a mundane level, i see an image of Aretha Franklin singing on it? 😁 is it a reflection of you, painting? i'm looking forward to your new idea caught on canvas. inspiration can be a boomerang.

Happy First of May! it's snowing...