Home Forums The Town Center All Media Art Events AMAE Hall of Fame WDE Updated Guidelines – for Newbies especially.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

The spirit of the Weekend Drawing Event

– (or Weekly Drawing Event or ‘Whenever’ Drawing Event’ or ‘Weeders’ Drawing Event) or just a Creative/Artistic Happening :D

The Invitation Thread will tell you When this is happening and should have an arrow icon. (#2, Illus. 1 below)

The Images Thread, posted on the specified day will have a light bulb icon . (#3, Illus.1)

You will find these two threads on the main page, fastened with a thumbtack so they’re stuck!

Illustration 1.

When your work is ready to show,you need to open your OWN New Thread (top left, main forum page). (#1 in illustration above).

Here’s what your New thread may look like with its first post:

illustration 2.

Start with WDE, DATE, TITLE +
    MI = Multiple Images (if you intend to do more than one reference).
    WIP = Work in Progress

To Upload Image ….. if you’d like it in the text, use the Uploader in the Quick Links menu, (#4) or use the picture icon from the icons at the top of the posting box. (#3) (Second illustration)

If you want the image at the bottom of the post, use the Manage Attachments button, in the Additional Options box below your post box.

**Please read the links for Image compression and Uploading Images ** (Most of our ‘instruction’ threads may be found in our sub-forum – The Hall of Fame.)

Image compression and size

Uploading Images to WC!
    – an easy to follow tutorial for using the Uploader feature – WC has increased the permitted size of images to 800p max. in either dimension and 200k total file size.

In the spirit of the WDEs (and to keep threads manageable) please: …..

* Try to comment on others’ work too, but….

* Refrain from C&C unless the poster specifically asks for such,

* Keep all your ‘thank you’ notes to single posts where possible,

* If using the ‘Quote’ button, edit out the image to quote only text.

* Try to avoid multiple, consecutively-timed posts – they lengthen the thread and make timing expensive for those on Dial-Up.

* Please keep your entries to a single thread for each WDE during the weekend. You may open a new thread for additional images from the following TUESDAY.

But – NB – The WDE is very popular and can generate 80+ threads over a weekend – it may not be possible for you to comment on all the entries – please don’t feel guilty if you do not manage to visit them all!

Thank you for reading this – now go create :D

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Maureen, I guess I’m just dense, but I can’t get anything to work right.
    The image up-loader won’t allow my image at the suggested size of 600×500 or 500×600 ?? when I keep down sizing to qualify, the image is so out of focus, nobody would be able to recognize any shapes. The technical instructions for resizing are just too complicated for me! I just need something that will show me how many K’s the image is, so I can keep it under 100. I’m using HP for most. Picasa 2 is beginner friendly, but can’t get it to connect to the browser for uploading.

When I try to use the Gallery manager, the pages are all blank. I can’t create any new collections. Maybe they aren’t ready yet? I started one before you closed down, and the title appeared, but wouldn’t show the image that was reported as being successfully uploaded. I’ll try another day.

Thanks for your help. (I just want to paint) ha.

Marilyn

Design your own Christmas Card
    http://www.artmsb.com :wave: :music:
    http://www.art-agent.com/artist_info.php?userid=35425

If God simply handed us everything we want, He'd be taking from us our greatest prize – the job of accomplishment. (Frank A. Clark) lc

mariese3

Well this is the first weekend event for me. Im going to try it! My question is where will the link to the gallery be. For both the example pics and the finished painting?:confused:

eyepaint

Hi Marise3,

The reference images will be in a separate thread in the forum (https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133) with a thread title something like “July 18 IMAGES HERE”

Then each person starts his/her own thread to post their paintings/drawings/artwork based on one or more of the ref images.

Sometimes the WDE volunteer host has the time and the software to create a gallery of all the finished works but that doesn’t happen every week.

Hope that helps. Roger is posting his images in around 8 hours for this weekend. He takes beautiful photos :)

Cheers,

-- EP Moderator for:
            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

eyepaint

Maureen, I guess I’m just dense, but I can’t get anything to work right.
                The image up-loader won’t allow my image at the suggested size of 600×500 or 500×600 ?? when I keep down sizing to qualify, the image is so out of focus, nobody would be able to recognize any shapes. The technical instructions for resizing are just too complicated for me! I just need something that will show me how many K’s the image is, so I can keep it under 100. I’m using HP for most. Picasa 2 is beginner friendly, but can’t get it to connect to the browser for uploading.

When I try to use the Gallery manager, the pages are all blank. I can’t create any new collections. Maybe they aren’t ready yet? I started one before you closed down, and the title appeared, but wouldn’t show the image that was reported as being successfully uploaded. I’ll try another day.

Thanks for your help. (I just want to paint) ha.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I totally understand your frustrations with the image uploader. It has been acting finicky recently. The technical people are working on it, and I think it involves a few changes to the software behind the scenes – just enough so previous instructions might not be totally applicable. It’s not likely to be completely settled now (sometimes within a given day it works/doesn’t work/works/doesn’t work for me.)

I use Picasa2. Here’s what I do:

– Select the picture, click “Export” and specify the size.
                – Then in the new folder location I can see the file size (100K or similar).
                – Then I try to use the image uploader system on WetCanvas with my fingers crossed :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

-- EP Moderator for:

Hi Marilyn,

I totally understand your frustrations with the image uploader. It has been acting finicky recently. The technical people are working on it, and I think it involves a few changes to the software behind the scenes – just enough so previous instructions might not be totally applicable. It’s not likely to be completely settled now (sometimes within a given day it works/doesn’t work/works/doesn’t work for me.)

I use Picasa2. Here’s what I do:

– Select the picture, click “Export” and specify the size.
                – Then in the new folder location I can see the file size (100K or similar).
                – Then I try to use the image uploader system on WetCanvas with my fingers crossed :)

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Yes, I stumbled onto Picasa2 and that gives me exactly what I was looking and looking for, without all the technical stuff that is way too complicated for my right-brain sidedness. I had missed the step “export” before.:rolleyes:

I keep trying to get a page to appear for the Art-Agent program so I can add a new category, but no luck yet.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Marilyn

If God simply handed us everything we want, He'd be taking from us our greatest prize – the job of accomplishment. (Frank A. Clark) lc

DarrenBarrow

Hi

wonderful info guys….The list of apps looks great….

thanks for ur useful info…

its rocking..

Yes, I stumbled onto Picasa2 and that gives me exactly what I was looking and looking for, without all the technical stuff that is [B]way [/B]too complicated for my right-brain sidedness. I had missed the step “export” before.:rolleyes:

I keep trying to get a page to appear for the Art-Agent program so I can add a new category, but no luck yet.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Marilyn

Marilyn, Art-Agent doesn’t work properly, hasn’t for months, and is on the list of things for the tech people to fix.

Wendy C&C always welcome
                    Everybody likes feedback! Please remember to comment on others' threads, even if it's just a "nice work" post.

Marilyn, Art-Agent doesn’t work properly, hasn’t for months, and is on the list of things for the tech people to fix.

Thanks, Wendy, this was an old request but I guess it’s still pertinent.

Marilyn

evanthia

Hi Marilyn,
                        Great big thanks for size image changes on Picasa…it works .After hours of frustation..I will try to down load images.
                        Thanks
                        Evanthia-Ulla

To an engineer,good enough means perfect.With an artist,there is no such thing as perfect
                        Bis007

Greetings everyone!

This forum/thread looks like a nice place to get motivated back again.

What are the requirements? and am I qualify to join your group/thread?

Many thanks.

ddb

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. Mahatma Gandhi.
                            laura-lulu

Is it possible to access the reference photos after the event? I missed the 12/3 WDE but would like to use the bluejay photo; I saw a beautiful painting made from it … Thanks.

eyepaint

Greetings everyone!

This forum/thread looks like a nice place to get motivated back again.

What are the requirements? and am I qualify to join your group/thread?

Many thanks.

ddb

Sorry to see this so late. Please join us!!

-- EP Moderator for:

eyepaint

Is it possible to access the reference photos after the event? I missed the 12/3 WDE but would like to use the bluejay photo; I saw a beautiful painting made from it … Thanks.

Hi,

Sure you can always search the forum for threads titled “Images Here” to find old hosting threads.

The Dec. 3 WDE images thread is here:
                                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799431

And when you finish the work, please post it in the catch up thread here:
                                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797441

Maybe also post a note in the chat thread the week that you do it so we can be sure to come check out out. A chat thread usually has the title of “Weeders Weekly – date”. This is the current chat thread –
                                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803571

-- EP Moderator for:

I’d like to do my first wde. I’m stuck at the time to get pictures. I’m in Rochester, NY and it says images will be available at 4am? I have gone over the ‘newbie’ guidelines and get most of it – except the time. please help. thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                      • The topic ‘WDE Updated Guidelines – for Newbies especially.’ is closed to new replies.