Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    changingpaths

A number of people have asked me how I made the Galleries for my WDE. So I will try to explain…and if anyone has any other tips or ideas please feel free to add to this.:)

Before my WDE started, I created a folder in “My Pictures” (under My Documents) on the computer, for each of the images I would be posting. I labeled them 01 Invite, 02 Aspens, etc., so that each image would have it’s own folder, and with the numbers hopefully they would stay at the top of my picture file. I put the original High res and crop of each image in their respective folders, and made the picture the icon on the front of the folder.

Throughout the week, as each person posted an image I saved it to the correct file and gave it the person’s name and what number of their pieces it was as a jpg name. Also if it was a WIP I added that. i.e. Kor2.jpg…or….ElizabethWIP.jpg. That kind of helped me keep track of whether I had missed any of their work. It also let me know when they had updated their piece, so I could update their image.

With the help of Gail…RubyRedDog2 :) …here is how I actually made the Galleries. I used Photoshop…but I am certain it would work similarly in most programs.

Make all the images 72 dpi.
        Open a new image in Photoshop 8 inches wide by 14 inches long with a white background.
        Pull a guide down to the one inch mark. The space above will be where you put your text for the gallery.
        With your text editor, At the top of it put “WDE Oct 24 2008”. (*change the date or wording for your own use.)

You might also want to put grid lines a quarter inch in or so on each side for margins. Flatten the image, and Save this with a name like Galleries Background Template.jpg, so you don’t have to remake it everytime.

Once the WDE is nearing the end, you can get a feel for about how many pictures you have to put into galleries. I think Gail suggested about 7-9 a page. So that helps give you an idea of how to group your images. I included the photo refs as I thought that would be interesting to see with the finished art work.;)

When you are ready to start making your Galleries:

Open the Background template you made, and rename it immediately for example: Gallery 1 and Click Save. That way you won’t accidently overwrite the Background Template you made. :eek:

Next open all the images you plan on putting in that particular Gallery, and resize each of them so they are all the same height if possible. Between 2-3 inches worked really well. Then just shuffle them around on your background until they look good.

With your Text Editor, place whatever you want re the Galleries under the text you have already created on your template. ie…Gallery 2: Florals; Gallery 3: Landscapes, etc.

To get the shadow underneath the images, that so many of you are asking about:
        Click on an image that has been placed on your gallery. Then at the top of the screen click on… Layer…Effects….Bevel and Emboss. I used the following settings:

oops, i think that should be Down..not up…sorry. :o

You have to do this for each image individually.When all the images have been done on the page, and you have all your text written. Click Layer…Flatten Image. That will turn the Gallery into a single image. *Note once you do this you can NOT move anything. So be certain you have it all the way you want it.

Then crop the page shorter if possible and save it as a jpeg.

And that is how I made my Galleries. :) I hope it made sense. LOL.

Maureen would like to see this be an ongoing thread, so if anyone would like to suggest other ways, or other programs that might benefit someone…please feel free to post.

And you could post it at this link

JanW

Cyndi, I think this should be made a sticky. How does that happen?

I’ll sticky this for a while so that anyone else who has a method to share can add it to this thread.
            Then I’ll copy it to the Hall of Fame and link it into our Guidelines.

I’ll add my method later – so if you have a system. please share :D

Thanks for doing this and giving me that kick I needed Cyndi! ;) :lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

artastic

when I made my galleries, I used powerpoint, I had a page for each category of paintings (like cyndi, I made a folder for each) then I copied and pasted the pictures in each appropriate slide, I find with powerpoint, I can drag around the size to fit in a page with the others.
                then I did file\save as\chose jpg as the format, it prompts me to save each slide or whole document, I selected slide only, the saved the page with the name of the category.jpg
                you have to make sure it looks the way you want, because once you save the slide a s a jpg, you cannot edit it
                anyway, that is how I did mine

C&C always welcome -Bonnie-
                http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/04-Jan-2017/104250-banner.jpg

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting now.

eyepaint

For galleries here I use Picasa (you can download free from Google here: http://picasa.google.com/).

I downloaded your paintings (saved member name) to folders based on the subject/ref, selected them six or eight at a time, then chose Create > Picture Collage > Contact Sheet

Then I cropped out the extra wide borders.

Cheers,

-- EP Moderator for:
                    All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

JanW

I have used Irfanview, a free image editing program, to create what they call Panorama Images. This is fun for when you take a series of horizon shots or if the scanner bed is too small to get all of a work at once.

I have a question that relates: How do you find all the images that are posted in later points in a thread? I don’t often have time to read everyone’s comments, so I miss some of the extras in the MI threads. Then when the gallery is published, there they are.

changingpaths

Jan, I don’t know what everyone else did…but I literally checked the threads everyday. Especially the MI ones, and we had a couple during my WDE with WIP’s. When I saved their pics, that was one of the reasons I numbered them with the persons name. LIke cyndi3.jpg would mean it was cyndi’s 3rd image. So the last night I could go back and count in their thread, to make certain I had all their images up to that point.

HTH

Jan, I’m afraid the only way is to keep checking!
                            It’s quite a task with the WDEs because we have so many threads and double threads and updated threads and… and…!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

mithila

The first WDE I did, I made my galleries in Photoshop, with a file for each category, copy-pasting the relevant images, and then scaling the whole thing down. I forget whether I then reopened the files in Microsoft Office Picture manager to compress them for web pages. Anyway, this is just my memory of how I did it the last time, and my memory’s none too good.

This time, I was simply too busy to fiddle around with PS. Since I don’t keep notes of the lessons I learn, and I have a poor memory, I waste a lot of energy groping for the right way each time I use any computer software. So, what I did was save the WDE pics in categorised files on my desktop, open them in MS Office Pic Manager, compress each for e-mail messages, and load them eight to a post in my Galleries thread. By the way, Jan, I missed Rohit’s and Dewi’s entries, and I couldn’t compress one of Cyndi’s, so that meant there were three WDE pics that weren’t in the gallery. :(

(You did say anybody could post their method, so you asked for it, Cyndi and Maureen. :lol: Anyway, this could serve as an example of how not to make a gallery. :D )

I’ve had this ready for a long time – forgot where I’d ‘filed’ it – duh!

I use PaintShopPro 8 … PSP8.

Making a Gallery

Download the images from the forum to your own computer by holding the cursor over the image and either select the little floppy disc icon or right click on the image and select ‘Save Image As…’ on the drop down menu.

You may like to sort all the images by subject and with the members’ names so you know who’s is which!

The following instructions are the way I do the galleries using Paint Shop Pro.

I open all the images and resize them to a resolution of 100dpi and the largest dimension @ 200pixels.

Then open a ‘New Image’ and make the dimensions for that 800p on both sides. This is the large size WC! now allows and gives you room to arrange the images.

Now open your Browser with your New Image window open –

First, select a colour for the background if you wish.

From here, with PSP it’s a simple matter of sliding the images across to the blank new image and arranging them.

Then add the names, crop to a suitable size and add borders or any other ‘decoration’ you wish!

Cheers, Maureen

Lettersalad

For galleries here I use Picasa (you can download free from Google here: [url]http://picasa.google.com/)[/url].

I downloaded your paintings (saved member name) to folders based on the subject/ref, selected them six or eight at a time, then chose Create > Picture Collage > Contact Sheet

Then I cropped out the extra wide borders.

Cheers,

If I may add (as sort of picasa addicted):
                                    Use Picasa 3.0 Beta.
                                    “Add folder to Picasa” for all folders containing WDE-images.
                                    In Picasa, crop, straighten, lighten or darken pictures to your liking.
                                    Add the pictures into an album “WDE x/y” (if you want to, that is). By adding them to an album, you can sort them the way you want. You can even have two or three versions of a painting in your FOLDER while constantly swapping the respective “last version” in your ALBUM – nothing happens to original file. And best thing of all: you can add text right to the image now!
                                    Mark all pics in the ALBUM and choose “Create Collage”.
                                    You can then choose between “stackpile”, two kinds of “mosaic” and “contact sheet”. With “stackpile”, you can even change the size, position and angle of your collaged pics to your liking! (Mosaic and contact sheet only offer to “shuffle” the pics, but mosaic may crop them in an unlucky way).
                                    “Export collage”, choose path and size, remember the location – and there you go!

Salad

C&C always welcomed - no native speaker, so please help me improve
                                    married, single parent
                                    http://www.Portraitfee.de/

I’ve read this and don’t have any of these programs except MS PictureIt. Most images are resized to what average pixels? (I’m supposed to host next month but may need help with gallery formation)

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Kay, if you don’t make a gallery, don’t worry about it!
                                    They’re most definitely NOT compulsory additions! :D

I resize all my images for galleries to 72dpi and 200p max dimension – that way, all get same exposure ;) (approx!).

BTW – I downloaded picasa3 and had a try ….. what a mess I landed myself in …. need to learn ;)

Cheers, Maureen

Lettersalad

Feel free to ask.

Salad

C&C always welcomed - no native speaker, so please help me improve
                                        married, single parent
                                        http://www.Portraitfee.de/

Nice to hear about your gallaries changingpaths but i have not tried this by seeing you guys i l start doing… thanks for sharing your thought….

laser engraver [/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                      • The topic ‘Making Galleries’ is closed to new replies.