Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Village Alleyway

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

:clap: :clap: :clap: Sorry, I’m late for the party everyone as I missed the February challenge deadline. This project seemed like a good idea at the time, as I deliberately choose a subject out of my comfort zone. Boy – was I uncomfortable! I thought I could whip this off in a couple of afternoons – Ha! My limited pen and ink skills came up against the reality of how to portray an essentially architectural subject. I can’t do abstract or loosely defined anything, but I knew I must not get involved in showing every brick and mortar seam, but what to leave out and what to put in became a major stress. The result is a hodge-podge of learning as I went along until I’m heartily sick of the damned thing! Image size 6 1/12″ x 10″ on Arches 140lb hot pressed paper. Suggestions and comments always welcome of course
    John

http://www.watercoloursforfun.com

(A new addition “Writer’s Blog” and my new book “Your Turn To Find The Hammer”)

John, that’s amazing! A lovely light touch and I can see the vast amount of work in this – I think it’s super!
    Do please post it in the challenge too – I’m letting it run as there are not many participants again!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Anonymous

Yes I agree you are being much too hard on your self. there is merit in the piece , technically it looks fine .
        I am not qualified to offer any meaningful critique as I don’t really do architecture , it definitely takes a “certain” kind of artist & I’m not one of them :lol:

The whole subject matter seems to require too literal approach to me with little room for expression BUT then occasionally I’ll see it done very well in P&I & be full of atmosphere & feeling :eek: – I have to admit to myself that it’s me ! I just can’t put my heart into it ! :confused:
        Mike

Artanzo

great work ! :)

My website : https://artanzo.com

:wave: :wave: :wave: Thanks for dropping by everyone. In deliberately choosing a project I would not normally tackle, I learned a lot more about pen and ink and wash, with its limitations and possibilities. I would encourage other members to do the same once in a while. I’ve learned that pen and ink projects are demanding and need a different mindset from the start. I wasn’t entirely happy with the finished result but realized I could only produce something at this point in time with the experience I had acquired. After painting mainly in watercolour and oils for over 30 years, a new medium is not easy to master at my advanced age of 91. I paint and do pen and ink as a hobby and not for sale, so I can afford to take a chance and risk inevitable failures or near misses. The challenge is trying, and once in a while I produce something in pen and ink I’m proud to mat and frame and hang somewhere.

Maureen: Thanks for your kind comments, and I must tell you how much I’ve learned from this site. I’m always amazed at the subject matter posted here.

Mike: You’re bang on about architectural subjects limiting expression, but some of the examples posted here are amazing in their techniques and skill. Subject matter is always strictly personal of course, hence I have little interest in brand new corrugated steel barns and silos. Many moons ago in another life, I use to do black and white illustrations of houses from the builder’s blueprints, but that was to pay the mortgage! Suburban cookie-cutter dwellings hold no charm for me, but an ageing, weatherbeaten farmhouse and outbuildings just suits my temperament.

Artanzo:
            Thanks, and welcome to the site.

John

http://www.watercoloursforfun.com

Boafamily

You nailed this one for sure.

Dcam
                  Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.