Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bobbybirds

This is a painting I am doing of a small, mineral rich encrusted lake outside of the small town I grew up in in the south Okanagan-Similkameen in British Columbia called Spotted Lake. I am painting it using a photo for reference off the web but I have stood at this exact spot countless times through life so I think it is acceptable for practice. It is such a cool interesting spot I couldn’t wait until the next time I was home to paint it plein air.

Anyhow I would love some thoughts and pointers!

What an amazing place. Good start.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Trumper

I had to look this up :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_Lake ,a great start ,well done :)

bobbybirds

Thanks guys! Yes it is a very neat area. The entire Similkameen area is a real jewel. I grew up there and still go back on a regular basis as my mother and sister still live there. Everytime I go home I say I will never leave again but alas, the real world and business always rears its head and takes me away. One day I will probably retire there. It would be a real plein air painting mecca if more knew of it!

bobbybirds

I played a bit with this painting and some things like giving the distance a hit more atmosphere and some of the foreground colours I am finding pleasing, but the actual lake itself if giving me grief. I just cant seem to figure out how to work the mineral surface in a way that I am content with. Any thoughts on it?

Try wetting the lake around the spots then applying a dark green line around them. It should disperse to give a green background like the reference.

Doug

~JMW~

You have to keep the water flat and water edges flat & level
                        use an ellipse shape for the “circles”.
                        https://helloartsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/perspective-ellipses.png
                        Notice how yours feel like they are gong downhill to the right corner?

Study & compare your images, use a straight edge or measure to get things to a flat & level feeling.
                        Some sketching to practice ellipses on paper might be helpful.

~Joy~

bobbybirds

You have to keep the water flat and water edges flat & level
                            use an ellipse shape for the “circles”.
                            [url]https://helloartsy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/perspective-ellipses.png[/url]
                            Notice how yours feel like they are gong downhill to the right corner?

Study & compare your images, use a straight edge or measure to get things to a flat & level feeling.
                            Some sketching to practice ellipses on paper might be helpful.

You nailed it on the strange slopey perspective I seemed to end up with… I am going to try that again!

bobbybirds

Try setting the lake around the spots then applying a dark green line around them. It should disperse to give a green background like the reference.

Doug

Do you mean to say set the light/white aspects of the body of the lake and then while wet circle the spots with green and that will help blend the dark rings into the white making a softer transition? Am I reading that correctly? Forgive my possible lack of proper descriptive terminology…

Sorry, spell checker trouble, I meant to say”wetting”.

Doug

bobbybirds

Sorry, spell checker trouble, I meant to say”wetting”.

Doug

Forgive my newbieness with this question, but when you say wetting, how do you mean exactly? I do appreciate the help but when I say newbie, I mean it! :lol:

I mean apply a wash of clean water around the spots so that paint applied will diffuse over the wet area and not onto the spots. You may have to do it area by area depending on how fast you work.

Doug

bobbybirds

I mean apply a wash of clean water around the spots so that paint applied will diffuse over the wet area and not onto the spots. You may have to do it area by area depending on how fast you work.

Doug

I didnt even know that was possible! Thanks for the tip to try! That is exactly the type of thing I was hoping to learn. I will report back after the next revision..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.